Practise statement to discuss

I don't disagree that if you really want to be a great player then that is what would be required. I didn't like it because he assumed I wanted what I can really only dream of, what he may be able to achieve. And if I did put in that many hours, I think I would end up hating drums, because I would miss out on so many things in life that I like. Interestingly, after we had this discussion (over 2 years ago) I started my 1 hour a day practise routine. While it wasn't inspiraring, it did get me angry enough to start practise, which seems to be the way things happen for me sometimes.

I know both Terry Bozzio and Dave Weckl did long hours of practice during highschool and college --- Bozzio did a 6 to 8 hr schedule during the summer. Really, that's the only time one could do it: when your young and have nothing but time.

The bigger number is 10,000 hours. In the book "This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession" by Daniel J. Levitin, he sites numerous studies that found that to become a virtuoso at ANYTHING, you must put in at least 10,000 of real, effective practice. Some people, like Bozzio, got there quicker than others, but that 10,000 hr threshold seems to be the trick.

Another thing to consider is the idea of SPACED REPETITION. Many teachers believe that 20 min of practice every day on a concept is better that 3 hrs, once a week. The brain needs to be reminded over and over before it will fully grasp ideas. Very few people can learn new concept in depth in just one sitting.

tc

That sounds like a really interesting book. Thank you for mentioning it. I'll have to read it.

Like a lot of people already said, how can you have a life practicing 8-12 hours a day. I believe that you have to be very young to do that. Once you get into your 20s, it's very hard to do. I think it's possible. But you'd have to be living on very little. You'd have to work part time, have no debt, no gf (unless she's musician), live on the cheap somewhere, etc. I guess it depends on how bad you want it. I also heard that 20 minutes at a time on one subject is the best idea. Then take a 5 minute break and come back and start a new subject for another 20 minutes, etc.

I agree about the brain becoming "fatigued"... but I think you can do it if you build yourself up gradually. Boxers have to workout for hours and hours day after day leading up to a big fight. Or how about those actors in the new movie musical NINE. They rehearsed for 12 hours a day for two months before they even began filming.

Back