Stage Etiquette article

Absolutely all of this! It's my biggest gripe of other drummers/bands when playing out BY FAR.

On the "rushing the stage" side of the coin ... it's never happened to me (because I get my shit dealt with right away) but I HAVE been the guy rushing the stage when previous drummer is taking his time breaking everything down on stage. I don't hide my annoyance and usually say something along the lines of, "This ain't the place for that, other bands are trying to set up" as I start crowding in on them. It doesn't have to be antagonistic, but being subtle usually won't cut it.

This could be an entire article unto itself...

Don't take your cymbals off, one-by-one, while still on stage. Move the damn cymbals and stands offstage, THEN start disassembling. That allows the next guy to start setting up without having to wait for your inconsiderate ass.

Likewise, don't take the time to pack everything into its respective case, bin, bag, etc. MOVE THE DAMN DRUMS OFFSTAGE - then break everything down at your leisure. The next guy will TRULY appreciate it...trust me.

DON'T stop to go outside for a cigarette, or get a drink from the bar, or sit and talk to your friends about how cool you were. MOVE THE DAMN DRUMS. Someone is waiting for you.

See where I'm going with this?...

When I'm playing in any slot other than the closing slot, as soon as that last chord fades (and often before), I'm up off my throne and moving anything not miked. While I'm doing that, the sound guys have a minute to grab the mics and cords without me in the way; I return, grab the remaining drums, and I'm completely cleared out within a few minutes. (And usually in time to help a guitarist move his amp offstage - which, curiously, seems to take longer than moving an entire drum kit...but that's a rant for another day.)

Sometimes it's a real pain in the ass finding a clear area to move the drums from the stage; sometimes there are drunk people in the way; sometimes you're bumping into the next band as they move towards the playing area. Sometimes it just seems easier to break it all down before moving anything.

TOUGH SHIT. The guys playing after you have just as much right to start their set on time as you did. Be considerate, be polite, be professional...MOVE YOUR DAMN DRUMS WHEN YOU FINISH.

I find it quicker to bring my own stands and hi hats, setting the cymbals up and adjusting them while they finish their last few songs. It's much faster for me to take off the backline stands and replace them with my already bronzed and adjusted stands, rather than load and adjust the backline stands, if they even adjust at all.

Also, I think it's perfectly fine to express any anger towards the "way too late" departing drummer, it feels good actually.

Oh and right on Phil.

I find it quicker to bring my own stands and hi hats, setting the cymbals up and adjusting them while they finish their last few songs. It's much faster for me to take off the backline stands and replace them with my already bronzed and adjusted stands, rather than load and adjust the backline stands, if they even adjust at all.

So do I! What's strange is the resistance I get when I show up with my own stands; I'm repeatedly asked, 'I thought you were sharing the kit?' or 'Can't you just switch out the cymbals?' People - non-drummers, really - don't seem to understand that re-adjusting a cymbal stand to your own preferences (which may require a few tries to get right) takes MUCH longer than just swapping out the entire contraption.

Oh and right on Phil.

Grazié!

Back