Since Hal Blaine has passed.....

Andy Newmark played on Pink Floyd's 'The Final Cut', in part. 'Two Suns in the Sunset' is not Nick Mason - partly because by then he was mainly racing cars rather than playing the drums.

Modern day? Not so much. Much more scope for editing and drummers are generally much better and prepared for the studio. It does still happen, obviously but I don't know of many constantly working UK session players. Andy probably has a better idea, though.

Is this the thread where we make jokes about Bernard Purdie?

Good to see you Duncan!

Talking of Pink Floyd Jeff Porcaro also played on ‘Mother’ from The Wall.

Pink Floyd's drummer Nick Mason didn't play on this track. According to Roger Waters, this was because Mason had trouble with the 5/4 time signatures and other changes, as "his brain doesn't work that way." Jeff Porcaro, who was a session drummer and also a member of the band Toto, took his place.

I don't think the time signatures or Mason's interest in cars were the reasons he didn't play on those songs, I think those songs required a drummer with some more technical ability. The songs may sound simple, but they really call for a particular touch along with some subtle rolls - not easy to play.

And, Andy Newmark's playing on Waters' "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" is sublime. Makes me wonder how Pink Floyd would have sounded if he was with them from the get go.

I remember Derek talking about Dyers Eve being cut and spliced a ridiculous number of times in order to get a balanced and cohesive drum track. I don't recall him saying anything about another player ghosting on One though.
exactly

He did fill in for a while during their 2014 tour as PJ and SG had conflicting tour dates. Cameron chose to do the Pearl Jam tour as that had become his main priority during Soundgarden's long break up.

Whoops, I stand corrected.

Chamerlain and Camerson's careers have crossed paths more than once!
No wonder we're having trouble with which Matt did what. lol

Good to see you Duncan!

Talking of Pink Floyd Jeff Porcaro also played on ‘Mother’ from The Wall.

Pink Floyd's drummer Nick Mason didn't play on this track. According to Roger Waters, this was because Mason had trouble with the 5/4 time signatures and other changes, as "his brain doesn't work that way." Jeff Porcaro, who was a session drummer and also a member of the band Toto, took his place.

Mother is a bit of a bear. Learned it on the guitar years ago and the time signature changes are subtle enough to be difficult to register and play with. Good call. Solo is still fun, though.

I don't think the time signatures or Mason's interest in cars were the reasons he didn't play on those songs, I think those songs required a drummer with some more technical ability. The songs may sound simple, but they really call for a particular touch along with some subtle rolls - not easy to play.

And, Andy Newmark's playing on Waters' "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" is sublime. Makes me wonder how Pink Floyd would have sounded if he was with them from the get go.

I like Mason's playing a lot and think he's brilliant with Pink Floyd, just less so with Roger Waters - and I include 'The Wall' in that statement. I'll still put up 'Animals' as a superb album in all aspects and Mason's playing is a big part of that. Just the right side of aggressive without being overbearing.

Found myself listening to 'Radio KAOS' the other day by coincidence. I haven't listened to it in years and changed my mind. Now I rather like it. Apparently Graham Broad played most of the kit on that - and I don't think I've knowingly listened to anything else with him on it.

I'll still put up 'Animals' as a superb album in all aspects and Mason's playing is a big part of that. Just the right side of aggressive without being overbearing.

My favourite album of their's for sure. Mason does a great job driving it.

Found myself listening to 'Radio KAOS' the other day by coincidence. I haven't listened to it in years and changed my mind. Now I rather like it.

If you listen to it for what it (musically not lyrically) is - a satirical take on the music the industry was producing at the time, it's a clever album with topnotch pop songwriting sensibilities. And Broad is a tight, tight drummer .

In the end, I think Waters' Amused to Death is his masterpiece. Porcaro's playing on "It's a Miracle" is ethereal.

Never listened to 'Amused to Death'. Just not one I own.

Interesting take on KAOS. See, I live in an ex-coalmining town (not in Wales, I hasten to add) and a lot of the politics of Radio KAOS are still prevalent around here. Add in the Cold War paranoia that a huge part of the British psyche at the time (it doesn't take that many Soviet missiles to destroy the UK!) and KAOS reads very differently.

Waters has distanced himself from the production in subsequent interviews but I like it as a document of its time as much as anything.

Never listened to 'Amused to Death'. Just not one I own.

Interesting take on KAOS. See, I live in an ex-coalmining town (not in Wales, I hasten to add) and a lot of the politics of Radio KAOS are still prevalent around here. Add in the Cold War paranoia that a huge part of the British psyche at the time (it doesn't take that many Soviet missiles to destroy the UK!) and KAOS reads very differently.

For sure, Radio KAOS is, lyrically speaking, classic Waters - and some of his best at that.

Musically, though, I think it's unlike anything he had done: shorter songs, conventional song structures, catchy hooks and very accessible melodies. I think he was purposefully mocking the music industry at the time, but did such a good job of it that it went over peoples' heads,

But, do yourself a favour and listen to Amused to Death. It's an abstract and haunting album. I really think it's his best work.

[QUOTE Apparently Graham Broad played most of the kit on that - and I don't think I've knowingly listened to anything else with him on it.[/QUOTE]

Didnt he play on all those early Dollar singles...always looked happy behind the kit on TOTP

We all know that with few exceptions, there is no way to tell who played on what recording.

Even the musician may not know for sure...only those making the final purchased decision at mixing of the original truly know what got into the mix....

...the cost of an industry.

Believing the wiki/jewel case is like believing in santa....sure would be great...but it could be someone else all dressed up and you might not know.

Back