Since Hal Blaine has passed.....

Well, this just sounds like wishful thinking, doesn’t it? And in the end, you admit you don’t know. I’m saying, what if it’s true? It’d be hard to accept your heroes aren’t really playing your loved favorites.

Where's the wishful thinking?

The only thing I admitted to "not knowing" was whether or not Allan Schwartzberg ghosted Peter Criss. But I admitted that it's possible as it's already an established fact that others have.

As for the rest, we have documented accounts of the likes of Grohl, Lars and AVH laying down their own tracks. You don't think after 30+ years it would have come out? Hal Blaine's "secret" was lucky to last 10 before industry insiders began to let the cat out of the bag.

You're free to think otherwise if you so choose. But if you're gonna do that, I suggest you stand in front of a mirror if you're gonna throw terms like "wishful thinking" around, no?

If hypotheticals are all you're after then let's debate the merits of the sun rising in the west and setting in the east.........it's equally as bloody fanciful. But it's highly ironic to accuse me of wishful thinking as you're sitting there trying to invent your own facts, I would have thought.

How about a laugh instead, guys?

https://dubsmash.com/quote/the-roya...ws-custer-died-at-little-bighorn-cAWFd7j26ht0

Matt Cameron plays on A LOT of stuff that y'all don't know about. I have a friend in Nashville (a professional drummer) who toured with a top 40 pop act for several years (he's appeared on all of the late night shows, PBS, Today Show, SNL, etc.), and I heard in an interview that Matt Cameron is one of the top guys who gets calls as a "ghost" studio musician for a lot of bands and groups.

I think you mean Matt Chamberlain (though Matt Cameron is well versed to do studio work with many people).

What if the Statue Of Liberty is actually a fake one and the real one is hidden somewhere in a Russian forest where no one ever comes..?

The biggest surprise for me was when I found out Hal Blaine did all the drums for the Carpenters.

I'm no expert, and I may be wrong. But I have read (can't remember where) that she did play on some of their recorded material. But the majority was probably Blaine. On one of their albums, Close to You, it lists both Blaine and Karen as the drummers on the album. That could be false info though. On the album Ticket to Ride, the liner notes states, "In addition to the vocals Karen (age 19) plays drums on all the selections and on two of the offerings she plays electric bass." Again, maybe that's what they wanted us to think? I don't know.

Though there will never be another Hal Blaine or a player of that much output.
Except for John "JR" Robinson - I believe he is now the king of the studio session when it comes to sheer numbers, although I'm not sure he has the number 1's, or the sheer number of top 10 hits that Hal had.

In the Country music scene, there's Lonnie Wilson. I don't know if he has the volume of sessions Hal had, or the number of #1 hits or top 10 hits, but his list of credits when it comes to hit songs is impressive. Don't believe me, give this video a gander. The hits montage starts at about the 1:00 minute mark, and then it runs for a solid 14 minutes of 5-10 seconds per song, virtually all of them big country hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW7u1cC5S1U&pbjreload=10

At some point I'm going to dissect this video, get the song list/count, and look up their charting positions. It's a VERY impressive list of credits. I'd be willing to state that you can't listen to 20 minutes of Country music radio without hearing a song he drummed on.

Who on earth ever thought it wasn't Duane Allman? That was a given.
Keeping in mind that we are musicians, we tend to know more of that kind of thing - LOTS of people think that's all Clapton.

Except for John "JR" Robinson - I believe he is now the king of the studio session when it comes to sheer numbers, although I'm not sure he has the number 1's, or the sheer number of top 10 hits that Hal had.

Well, yes, but no.

JR did indeed take the torch from Hal and JR recorded on a ton of hit records in the late 70's through the 80's and 90's. Jr's career shot up as Hal was winding down being active.

JR's career accomplishments are certainly is on par, or close to on par, with Hal.

But I was referring to now and in the future.

Where's the wishful thinking?

The only thing I admitted to "not knowing" was whether or not Allan Schwartzberg ghosted Peter Criss. But I admitted that it's possible as it's already an established fact that others have.

As for the rest, we have documented accounts of the likes of Grohl, Lars and AVH laying down their own tracks. You don't think after 30+ years it would have come out? Hal Blaine's "secret" was lucky to last 10 before industry insiders began to let the cat out of the bag.

You're free to think otherwise if you so choose. But if you're gonna do that, I suggest you stand in front of a mirror if you're gonna throw terms like "wishful thinking" around, no?

If hypotheticals are all you're after then let's debate the merits of the sun rising in the west and setting in the east.........it's equally as bloody fanciful. But it's highly ironic to accuse me of wishful thinking as you're sitting there trying to invent your own facts, I would have thought.

Dont we know that Lars did not play everything on record? For example parts of the song One, in particular the sextuplet double bass riff (if thats what its called)

Dont we know that Lars did not play everything on record? For example parts of the song One, in particular the sextuplet double bass riff (if thats what its called)

Urban Legend.

I once had a producer tell me he heard Lar's didn't play on the Black album and it's all actually Greg Bissonette because Lars was too drunk to record. But Metallica has a home video out of them recording the Black album.

The rumor about the sextuplets thing only comes the band usually has strobe lights on a dark stage on the section, so internet speculation is they're trying to hide something. Though there are plenty of videos of Lar's playing it live without the strobes (though usually poorly, as he's not the drummer he used to be).

But he and the band admit every song is a compilation of 101 takes, and all his drum tracks are pieced together.

So did he play that whole section straight through on the record? Probably not. But did he play it? Yes.

Honest mistake. Especially since Matt Chamberlain was also playing with Soundgarden for a bit. ;-)

You mean Pearl Jam.

Chamberlain was in Pearl Jam for a short period of time.

Matt Cameron was Soundgarden's drummer. Though he also is in Pearl Jam.

Urban Legend.

I once had a producer tell me he heard Lar's didn't play on the Black album and it's all actually Greg Bissonette because Lars was too drunk to record. But Metallica has a home video out of them recording the Black album.

The rumor about the sextuplets thing only comes the band usually has strobe lights on a dark stage on the section, so internet speculation is they're trying to hide something. Though there are plenty of videos of Lar's playing it live without the strobes (though usually poorly, as he's not the drummer he used to be).

But he and the band admit every song is a compilation of 101 takes, and all his drum tracks are pieced together.

So did he play that whole section straight through on the record? Probably not. But did he play it? Yes.

Im not so sure you are correct regarding the part I mentioned. It may have even been Derek Roddy on here who said he knew that part was played by another drummer. Either way, makes no difference to me, just not so sure Im wrong here.

It may have even been Derek Roddy on here who said he knew that part was played by another drummer.

I remember Derek talking about Dyers Eve being cut and spliced a ridiculous number of times in order to get a balanced and cohesive drum track. I don't recall him saying anything about another player ghosting on One though. However, I'm trying to find that old thread again (and any others that relate) to check out exactly what was said.

In short, I've never been able to find any evidence that Lars has been replaced on his own drum tracks. I've seen plenty of conjecture, rumour and supposition on drum forums. But no hard evidence. If anyone can show me some, I'll be the first to gather you all together to listen in while I shout my apology from the roof top.

You mean Pearl Jam.

Chamberlain was in Pearl Jam for a short period of time.

Matt Cameron was Soundgarden's drummer. Though he also is in Pearl Jam.

He did fill in for a while during their 2014 tour as PJ and SG had conflicting tour dates. Cameron chose to do the Pearl Jam tour as that had become his main priority during Soundgarden's long break up.

Andy Newmark played on Pink Floyd's 'The Final Cut', in part. 'Two Suns in the Sunset' is not Nick Mason - partly because by then he was mainly racing cars rather than playing the drums.

Modern day? Not so much. Much more scope for editing and drummers are generally much better and prepared for the studio. It does still happen, obviously but I don't know of many constantly working UK session players. Andy probably has a better idea, though.

Is this the thread where we make jokes about Bernard Purdie?

Andy Newmark played on Pink Floyd's 'The Final Cut', in part. 'Two Suns in the Sunset' is not Nick Mason - partly because by then he was mainly racing cars rather than playing the drums.

Modern day? Not so much. Much more scope for editing and drummers are generally much better and prepared for the studio. It does still happen, obviously but I don't know of many constantly working UK session players. Andy probably has a better idea, though.

Is this the thread where we make jokes about Bernard Purdie?

Good to see you Duncan!

Talking of Pink Floyd Jeff Porcaro also played on ‘Mother’ from The Wall.

Pink Floyd's drummer Nick Mason didn't play on this track. According to Roger Waters, this was because Mason had trouble with the 5/4 time signatures and other changes, as "his brain doesn't work that way." Jeff Porcaro, who was a session drummer and also a member of the band Toto, took his place.

Good to see you Duncan!

Talking of Pink Floyd Jeff Porcaro also played on ‘Mother’ from The Wall.

Pink Floyd's drummer Nick Mason didn't play on this track. According to Roger Waters, this was because Mason had trouble with the 5/4 time signatures and other changes, as "his brain doesn't work that way." Jeff Porcaro, who was a session drummer and also a member of the band Toto, took his place.

Nick said in Drumhead magazine he wasn't sure but didn't doubt that his tracks were replaced. His version of the story is he did record the song, then he went to New York thinking all the drumming was done, and he left the mixing to Waters. And somewhere during that time, the drums were re-done.

Back