Ringo Starr

Most underrated drummer of ALL time.

I think I agree with that. Not underappreciated but certainly written off by many as a basic drummer lacking in technique and skill. I feel that couldn't be further from the truth. He was absolutely magical at coming up with the right feel, delivering it with crazy time feel and consistency. His tone and sound was wonderful, a revolution. I think Im just writing this as a lecture to my younger dumber self. Beautiful drumming, something that appeals to me more as I age over the flash and razzle dazzle.

I always like Ringo cause he's got a big schnoz-like me. And he wasn't vain and had a nose job. I use to be teased about my huge beak but then I finally grew into it. I married my wife because she has the tiniest nose I've ever seen so I can kiss her head on and don't have to turn have my nose at a funny angle-then too I figured it might dilute my schnoz gene in my offspring-which was a safe bet-they all got little baby noses (thank god). I love my big nose now-I get more than my share of fresh air (colds aren't so bad you could drive a semi up there and still have room for more parking) which I guess if you were hermitically sealed in an air-tight chamber with three other people you'd be the first they'd kill. I got a number of old pics where the only part of my body in the pic is my schnoz which everyone immediately recognizes "Hey there's Art". I'd have a complex about it had I not convinced myself I look like an "Adonis"-till I discovered(I took a bunch of Greek mythology classes in my walk about college years) he was the offshoot of this lady who had sex with her dad, she was turned into a tree before giving birth to the lad who was raised in the Underworld. Like was he made of wood like Pinocchio was the first thing that came to mind LOL. So I'm channeling Ringo now. Ha tricked you-thought it was another one of my bullcrap post unrelated to drumming but no-it came full circle back to Ringo.

Yea, he cant drum at all! Smooth and effortless...I couldn't look that relaxed if I was only singing, forget about the shuffling!

I just watched the movie Yellow Submarine, which I bought not long after it came out 50 years ago. Lots of ads lately for the re-mixed version, but I deal with the original just fine.

Just spotted this YT video, a Beatles' rehearsal video of "This Boy" from Miami, 1964, for the Ed Sullivan show.
What was unusual was noticing how Ringo played mainly on the hi hats for most of the song. It's a very light accompaniment, one I hadn't focused on by listening to just the recording-- but also since the camera shows his playing you can see he opens up with the foot as well towards the end.
My second favorite part is at the end, when Uncle Ed gets a bit miffed at the bopper screaming, trying to get a few words in, asking them to be "Quiet, quiet, quiet." Watch Ringo move around in a pantomime of modesty, when Ed says 'these are 4 of the nicest youngsters...'

Damn those Beatles were not only incredible musicians but great comedians...

https://youtu.be/zPro-k5W-2A

I am amazed at how high he sat. His seat is higher than his snare.

I was thinking the same ! It's as if he was above his drum kit, his back being totally round.

I am amazed at how high he sat. His seat is higher than his snare.

This is the great B J Wilson. They do things in the extreme in England. LOL

7d5b248a8e421a8b2412e3100ef2a0cf.jpg

Never really watched him drum before, funny enough.

I like his side-by-side sweeping technique when he plays the hat. Is that a thing?

One of the wide shots in that video shows the audience going totally berserk. That must have been such an experience.

Back