Moving on

I would have just canceled any rehearsals giving the reason "sorry, I'm busy that night" and then also turned down any gigs with the reason "I need more money to play that gig"....

No Andy. Coincidentally, that was where my gig was last night...The Twisted Tail...and the original blues project I mentioned, not the same people as last night...I noticed that the original blues project I am joining was on the calendar for this coming Saturday. So I'm thinking I will be there again in 6 days.

Yea, that bar is not home to me in any way. Transient crowd. Philly attitude. Over inflated prices. Lots of steep steps to walk up and down for load in. Cobblestone streets in places. The parking authority will ticket your vehicle 1 second after your time runs out. They are really good at that. I remember rushing out after a set to put money in the meter. It's a game of cat and mouse. Daytime stress at night. It could be a cool joint with the right (music loving) management.

Wow. I REALLY don’t miss gigging. I think I’ll just be happy playing in church and my kids’ weekly music class. LOL

I would have just canceled any rehearsals giving the reason "sorry, I'm busy that night" and then also turned down any gigs with the reason "I need more money to play that gig"....

Our rehearsals consisted of learn such and such a song and we will perform it cold.

What was the name of your band, so we can now ignore them?

I forget already so same result :)

Great to hear its all worked out. Must be a new breath of fresh air.
BTW what is a 'Philly attitude'?

Compared to other parts of my country, the Northeast portion of the US is IMO not real friendly. Philly could be the leading the way there unfortunately.

It is cool waking up now knowing there's nothing set in stone musically. It's like getting divorced. Without the support payment :)

I'm glad everything worked out Larry.

I don't think I've ever had to quit a band. Granted, it's been sort of weird being a part of a praise team and moving churches, but as far as bands goes, everything just sort of dissolved from within as opposed to me leaving. If I wanted to leave a band, I think I'd approach it with the "it's not you, it's me" sort of technique:

I'm really struggling with tempos in our music.
I don't think I'm making your music sound as good as it can.
I'm not sure if I can meet the demands of what y'all are wanting.
Etc.

Unless it was an absolute hostile environment, I'd finish up the gigs I had agreed to.

My wife is actually proud of me. In the time we've been together, she's seen my either quit or get fired from multiple bands. This is the first amicable split ever lol. Every other gig ended with either me getting fired or me going off on the offensive party, or both lol.

Hey Larry, I didn't put it together but a good friend of mine moved to Philly a few years ago to get his music going. They've been doing quite well and kicking a good bit of arse.

If you get the chance, go see The Vernes play a show. It won't be disappointing.

https://www.facebook.com/thevernes/
https://thevernes.bandcamp.com/

They're also on apple/google/spotify.

I just saw this thread now, and I see you've already separated from the band in a way that sounds like it went as well as possible.

Good for you, Larry. I think it was a great decision for you to move on. I know you were reluctant to in the past because you thought so highly of the bandleader as a musician. But I think with players like that, the music isn't usually enough to overcome all the other issues. And the real irony is those other issues ultimately affect the music, too, and then the decision is easy.

Enjoy your newfound freedom! Being appreciated in a band is worth a lot.

Hey Larry, I didn't put it together but a good friend of mine moved to Philly a few years ago to get his music going. They've been doing quite well and kicking a good bit of arse.

If you get the chance, go see The Vernes play a show. It won't be disappointing.

https://www.facebook.com/thevernes/
https://thevernes.bandcamp.com/

They're also on apple/google/spotify.

Good tip James. I shall indeed look them up.

I just saw this thread now, and I see you've already separated from the band in a way that sounds like it went as well as possible.

Good for you, Larry. I think it was a great decision for you to move on. I know you were reluctant to in the past because you thought so highly of the bandleader as a musician. But I think with players like that, the music isn't usually enough to overcome all the other issues. And the real irony is those other issues ultimately affect the music, too, and then the decision is easy.

Enjoy your newfound freedom! Being appreciated in a band is worth a lot.

I give people a ton of latitude if they are great players. I did enjoy it for many years. My mostly non musician wife and even her completely non musician friend, both said we are recently playing just so fast, that it sucked. So it's not just me. Since this is not a changeable situation, then there's not enough of what I need to hold me there any longer. It's a weird feeling being out.

I feel sorry for the band. They lost the sound of a nice set of Guru drums. LOL

hope the next band you join plays really slow ALL the time. ha ha. what was that about toes and asses?

Back