Getting tired when playing larger kits

bearblastbeats

I play two different set ups for my projects and have been noticing that when I play my larger Ludwig, I end up getting more tired.

I play with HUGE rides as crashes and 18 inch crashes as HH on that kit.

When I play the Yamaha, its smaller lighter cymbals.

Is this because it takes more energy to play the bigger drums and cymbals, even though I'm not exactly hitting hard, my body is simply exerting more energy to play?

My Drum Kits:

1976 Ludwig Octa-plus - 14, 18, 24
1976 Supraphonic Snare

Yamaha Stage Custom - 10, 12, 14, 20

Rock Set:
22" Meinl Byzance Vintage Pure Ride.
20" Meinl Byzance Extra Dry Thin Crash.
20" Meinl Byzance Traditional Extra Thin Hammered Crash.
14" Meinl Byzance Vintage Sand Hi Hats.

Heavy Set:
24" Paiste Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride
24" Paiste 2002 Ride (RH Crash)
22" Paiste 2002 Ride (LH Crash)
18" Paiste Wild Crash (HH Bottom)
18" Paiste 2002 Crash (HH Top)

Does it ever have to do with maybe carrying more?

You shouldn't feel a noticeable difference though. I can play 3 hours without getting physically tired....mentally? Sure, but not physically. I'm in decent shape but not tip top.

Maybe work on some cardio?

Does it ever have to do with maybe carrying more?

You shouldn't feel a noticeable difference though. I can play 3 hours without getting physically tired....mentally? Sure, but not physically. I'm in decent shape but not tip top.

Maybe work on some cardio?

I weight train 3-4 days a week and run 30 minutes after each session. I don't think its that though.

I have everything pretty much set up the same between the kits, height wise. But because the drums on the luddy are bigger, the kit has more spread.

I would say it was more a physical tiredness.

I weight train 3-4 days a week and run 30 minutes after each session. I don't think its that though.

I have everything pretty much set up the same between the kits, height wise. But because the drums on the luddy are bigger, the kit has more spread.

I think that's the answer right there. When I got bigger cymbals, I had to shed a tom to bring everything back in again. There was just too much reach and movement. Reduce the movement and you expend less energy. Now, as far as weight training and drumming, there's more to it than I pump iron, therefore I have stamina. Back when I was lifting to look like Conan, my drumming was impacted badly, because I was working against my own bulk. Setting things out too far will make that even more of a factor. You are after all using minor muscles to drum and major muscles to weight train, so the minor ones have to work harder. At least that's what I discovered. When I changed my regimen to include more reps, less weight, my drumming improved.

But because the drums on the luddy are bigger, the kit has more spread.

Yep. There are more things to reach for, in a wider radius. The added arm movement to reach the additional pieces is where so much energy gets spent.

Bermuda

Yep. There are more things to reach for, in a wider radius. The added arm movement to reach the additional pieces is where so much energy gets spent.

Bermuda

I think that may be the culprit.

Attachments

• yamaha.jpg
    yamaha.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 283
  • heavy doom.jpg
    heavy doom.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 281
Totally agree with Bermuda. Plus you're using more and different muscle groups the further you reach while you're engaging in as aerobic and anaerobic exercise as playing the drums.

I dig both your kits btw. Dang those hats are huge on your Luddy kit!!

Totally agree with Bermuda. Plus you're using more and different muscle groups the further you reach while you're engaging in as aerobic and anaerobic exercise as playing the drums.

I dig both your kits btw. Dang those hats are huge on your Luddy kit!!

hahha thanks! they're 18" crashes ;)

A lot of work being done. How is your diet, blood sugar, have you seen a doctor??? A lot of carbs will make you feel tired.

A lot of work being done. How is your diet, blood sugar, have you seen a doctor??? A lot of carbs will make you feel tired.

Diet is pretty much lean meat and vegetables. Im a T1 diabetic and i monitor my glucose daily and don't eat a lot of carbs.

the weird thing is when I play the yamaha with my cover band, i can play for 4 hours easily.

Yesterday I play with the metal band and I was just zonked after 2 hours on the luddy. Then again, I did play the night before with another friend.

To be honest, your set ups don't look all that spread out. In fact they look like most do who play regularly.
I've seen some set ups that would take a good foot of room more than what you have and I can only image what they go through.

I'd see what your diet & cardio training will do & go from there.
The kits look great to me.

Back