Soundproofing air vents in a drum room

Moonunit100

Hello everyone. After 'beefing up' the soundproofing in a drum room, I've realised some ventilation is gonna be useful! I caught on real quick with that idea!
From hours of research it seems I'm gonna have to cut a couple of holes in a stud wall in the drum room (it's half of my garage) and build some sort of dead vent boxes, one with a fan, to restrict the passage of sound so my soundproofing isn't compromised. At the moment, outside the room the drums hit 40 to 50 dB on my sound meter. I'm hoping the vents aren't going to spoil all my hard work so far.
So, here are my questions:
Can I just use an acoustic vent, I've seen them on various websites and it seems they offer around 45 to 50 dB sound reduction. If I used one of these, would airflow be sufficient.
If I go down the dead vent/Baffle box route, what sort of dimensions and how many baffles should I use. Is it better to use 3 or 4 well spaced or cram about 10 into the same size box. Is there much to be gained from having really big boxes with lots of well spaced baffles or is there a limit to how many baffles/how big a box is effective
Should I use one Baffle box each side of my wall, so that I would have a total of 4 boxes, one each side if each vent.

As I said, I've done lots of research on line but I just can't find definitive answers to these questions. Hopefully they are all just dumb questions that are obvious to some of you who are hopefully reading this!

Some further information that I left out, the room is about 8' x 8' x 7' and there is normally only 1 person in there. I'm not going to put any in line heating or air conditioning in.
Thanks

No dumb questions here! If I were you, I'd go with the first choice. I called a professional when I needed to build this. I couldn't do it by myself. I tried once painting my bedroom, and it was a total mess. Ever since I'm hiring professionals. They bought these air vents, and everything works perfectly fine. I wish I could help you with the technique, but as I said, I'm no expert. You can watch youtube tutorials, I'm sure you'll find something that will help you. Good luck!! Waiting for pictures, haha.

Last edited:
Back