Drumming in a musical production: "Godspell"

AModestRat

I was recently approached by a member of our college drama club about playing in the college's theater production of Godspell. She would like me to play set, and I'm honestly thinking about taking it because I've been wanting to get out and playing more, but I have no idea about playing in a theater setting.

For those that have played in theater/play productions, what is your normal set-up for playing? I have to provide my own kit, so I'm going to bring my Ludwigs and cymbals.

I played in a production of Godspell at Pepperdine University (Malibu, CA) back in 1975, and I probably brought a 5-pc kit. Best bet - listen to the movie soundtrack, which is slightly more contemporary than the original play.

I recall it was a fun show musically, but nothing in the way of technically impressive drum parts. Sit back, lay down the necessary folk-rock grooves, and enjoy. You might even recognize Day By Day, which I think got some radio play.

And no, I'm not related to writer Stephen Schwartz. :)

Bermuda

Go for it. Pit drumming can be fun or terrible, depending on the MD, monitoring, music, etc. If you are not a great reader this would be a good one to get your reading chops up to snuff as there is nothing too complicated going on.

Since most theater scores for drumset are written pretty generically, you should be set with a simple five-piece, hats, a couple of crashes, and a ride. Other cymbals, percussion, and effects will be dictated by the score, the size of the production, and your personal gear locker. (For example, I have electronics to play timpani and temple blocks; I don't bring actual timpani or temple blocks).

I echo the idea to listen to the movie soundtrack, unless the director or musical director refers you to another recording.

If the score is mostly straight-ahead songs which can be easily charted, that may be preferable to actually following the score (and the page turning that entails). When I did "Rocky Horror", for instance, I mapped the songs into single-page charts that were easier to follow.

Make sure your stick bag is properly equipped - not just with sticks of the correct type for the gig, but also brushes or rods. Inevitably, there will be at least one situation where singers are not miked up and you will have to play softly (usually at the sitzprobe or first technical rehearsal).

Have fun and enjoy. I love theater and pit work - it's some of the best work I've ever done.

I love doing pit work. Depending on the venue you might be very limited in space. I've only ever used a 4, sometimes a 3-piece. Another bit I've learned is to be ready for absolutely anything. My director in college was well known for changing things up on the fly or even halfway through a show. A tea towel can be easily of your best friends. I use it to muffle, make a makeshift table out of a floor tom, or wipe off all the dust that accumulates down there. Take a whole bunch of auxiliary stuff with you if you have them. As said earlier fill your stick bag with every trick you have. Better to have and not need etc. The biggest learning curve to me was to get used to the sometimes totally random tempo changes. You really need to watch the conducter like a hawk. But the effort is worth it. Pit gigs are some of the most rewarding.

One of the first shows I ever played drums for - back at uni in the 80's. Our band was 4 pce - keyboard/guitar/bass/drums. We all read from a piano/vocal score, so I made up rough charts for each song to save page turns every 16 bars.

Basic 5 piece kit, a range of early 70's rock and folk styles. Good show. I also saw it on Broadway four years ago - they had more modern, heavier, louder backing styles from the band, so it can be adapted a bit.

I appreciate the advice guys. I took a look at the music and it's very folk-rock like, and I'm looking forward to being challenged (if you're not being challenged, you're not getting better is my motto). I just bought a set of Bosphorus New Orleans hi hats to complete my cymbal set up (14", 17", 22") and I'm currently cleaning my Ludwig 4-piece (22", 16", 14", 12").

A question about the sizes - is that too big or can that be fixed by a bit of muffling and proper tuning?

On a personal note it's cool to find out Godspell is a first musical for other drummers too. I still have a lot of fond memories of playing that show and I learned a lot about pit drumming from the experience.

I'd try to find out which version they're doing. The original Broadway and the film version are similar (with a few different songs here and there) but there have been some "new" Broadway versions done in the last 10 years or so that are quite different.

The rental version I played back in the mid 90s was a cross between the original Broadway and film version. I ended up buying both albums and making my own practice playlist from it. The book for drums was written out completely, but it also followed what was on the recordings very closely too.

As far as equipment goes I think any basic four or five piece kit will be fine. Depending on the size of the production and the mixing/micing situation, those will dictate head and muffling choices, but I'd start with a basic two-ply batter set up and a pillow in the bass drum and have some Moongel at the ready too. It's a rare thing in the theatre for the director to say "that's pretty good but the drums were too quiet."

I know that your initial question was about set up suggestions but I feel that many of the earlier posts in this thread addressed that quite successfully. What I'd like to do is offer a few nuggets of advice that I've picked up over the years...some were lessons learned the hard and embarrassing way!!

Playing drums in a pit is an art form all to its self. Here are a few things that I can reccomend to help you out on your first foray into the world of musical theater.

1) Always watch the musical director!! I cannot stress this point enough!! Playing in a pit is different then playing in a band. You, as the drummer are the sonic representation of the MD's baton. It is your job to watch the MD like a hawk and follow him/her at all times. Remember that this is not a band, It is a fully composed score that supports the action that happens ON STAGE!!

2) Play the ink as much as you can. If you are a good reader this shouldn't be a problem. If your reading chops aren't quite up to par, do your homework. Listen to cast recordings while you follow along with the book. Under no circumstances should you just go in and wing it!! Musical theater is composed music not improvised jam sessions!! You will seriously frustrate the musicians in the pit, the performers on stage and yourself if you try to wing it!

3) Less is more! Although you will get a decent opportunity to actually play in Godspell (unlike some musicals with really boring drum books), try to show restraint in your playing. Musical theater is not about any one individuals playing, it is about the ensemble as a whole...more importantly, is is about the performers on the stage.

4) Have Fun!! If you go into this with a positive attitude and a decent amount of professionalism you will have a great time. I have been playing in pits for over 20 years...everything from Broadway, off Broadway, regional and community theater. If you give it a chance it can be a pretty nice revenue stream for a working musician. Have fun and best wishes on your first theater experience!!

Godspell is basically a rock show. A 4 or 5 pc kit will cover most things. Its been a long time since I played it and there may be some ancillary instruments such triangle or wood block, etc. but not much as I recall. If you get a book you can find out. I played a concert version of it recently but I had to do it from memory. As people have said, it is pretty straight forward. Watch out for "Alas, Alas" as there a lot of time changes in it. I recommend listening to that one a lot especially if you get the book in advance. It's a fun show. Enjoy.

Back