Rock band Drummer

Ian Paice.

For starters, he plays in one of my favorite bands, so the music he makes is amazing.

Secondly, he is a fantastic player. He's often referred to as the Buddy Rich of rock, and for good reason. He's got amazing chops, both with speed, and precision, and he's got mad groove. I think Bonham outclasses him a little bit on groove (since they were contemporaries) but not by much.

Check out You Fool No One, Burn, The Mule, and Stormbringer for some awesome tracks.

The last few years I've really been digging Jack Bevan from Foals, he's got this great tight and explosive style. He really tears it up live.

also Jayson Gerycz is a power house. he's not very technical but his consistency and power are super impressive, especially at the breakneck tempos of some of those songs.

Recently I've been getting into the drumming on Paramore records. Zac Farro and his in-studio replacement Ilan Rubin are both tremendously tasteful and musical players.

On the more experimental end, I saw John Stanier from battles and Zach Hill with Death Grips over the summer at a festival and they both were super impressive. Tim Fogarty from El Ten Eleven has always been a favorite as well.

If we wanted to start talking math rock i could keep going, but I'll spare you the esoteric players.

Back