Pearl Free Floating Snare Gasket

Frosticles

Silver Member
I am in the middle of renovating my Pearl Brass 8" free floater. There is a felt gasket that sits in the recess where the shell fits on the bottom cradle. Can these be bought? Are they necessary? or will I have to make one?

Kind regards, Kevin.

I've always been told that all Pearl parts.....right down to the smallest screw. nut, or (I assume) FF cradle felt, can indeed be bought. It may take some internet sleuthing to obtain the correct part number. It may also take some time for your local Pearl dealer to order one for you, making the whole exercise far more effort than it is worth. But it's certainly my understanding that all Pearl parts.....no matter how big, or small.....are available to be purchased after market.

As to whether or not it's necessary. If it were me, I'd try the shell without the felt and determine for myself whether or not I thought it was worth the effort pursuing it.

Thank you for your reply. It doesn't look too hard to make one to be honest. I will have a hunt for an original as I would like to keep it as such :) If anyone has a link to one then it would be highly appreciated. :)

The felt is there to keep the rattling at bay from the shell and cradle mashing together. You can probably buy some sticky backed felt liner at a fabric/craft store and use that. I'm sure if you sold the drum at a later date you wouldn't be deemed a counterfeiter. Its a wear item that needs to be replaced at some point in the drums life.

I've always been told that all Pearl parts.....right down to the smallest screw. nut, or (I assume) FF cradle felt, can indeed be bought. It may take some internet sleuthing to obtain the correct part number. It may also take some time for your local Pearl dealer to order one for you, making the whole exercise far more effort than it is worth. But it's certainly my understanding that all Pearl parts.....no matter how big, or small.....are available to be purchased after market.

As to whether or not it's necessary. If it were me, I'd try the shell without the felt and determine for myself whether or not I thought it was worth the effort pursuing it.

Nope.
I have an older Pearl FF that is in need of a older Gladstone style throwoff and you cannot order them any more.

That's my experience. Find a part number, call a dealer, have them get it. Wait a week or two. As long is it's in production or sitting on a shelf.

Cheers all. Looks like that is what I am going to do. Just checked my Maple free floater & the gasket on that is quite thick. Off to hunt tomorrow :)

Back