A very cool educational gig!

M

Matt Bo Eder

I've been excitedly working on a seminar I get to teach this Friday. A guitarist friend of mine teaches several hundred students nationwide (maybe even worldwide) via internet how to play guitar, and once a year, he invites students here to California for a three-day seminar set-up at a local hotel, and his students can come and play with his band, see his band in a live environment on a gig, and basically, be immersed in guitar-playing (kinda' like band camp).

Out of the blue he rings me up and asks if I could come in and talk about live and recorded audio, of course, using my Disney background as the ice breaker. So of course I said yes!

So he limits the enrollment to only 51 students, and has other professionals come in and talk to them about "music industry" stuff, applied music theory stuff, guitar techniques, etc.,...and this is the first time he's offering them insights into audio and recording, especially with the demand it has these days since it's so easy to buy a laptop , an interface, and some mics, and basically go-to-town (much easier than 30 years ago when cheap recording meant a 4-track cassette porta-studio OR you were renting pro studio time.

So for the last day or so I've been banging my head against the wall on how to do my particular workshop, and I've just come to the realization, I'm just gonna bring in some drums, my recording stuff, and just talk about tracking stuff with only two mics. I figure seeing the process would probably mean a lot more than talking about what's supposed to be happening in a theoretical fashion. And I get to play some drums too.

And in there I have to mention the mouse gig and other things....

It's nice when people think you have something to offer and offer you the opportunity to give. Doing something like this had never even crossed my mind until I got the call. Maybe I can make this a new career path?

I'll follow up how it all went. I get to do this twice this Friday morning!

I've been excitedly working on a seminar I get to teach this Friday. A guitarist friend of mine teaches several hundred students nationwide (maybe even worldwide) via internet how to play guitar, and once a year, he invites students here to California for a three-day seminar set-up at a local hotel, and his students can come and play with his band, see his band in a live environment on a gig, and basically, be immersed in guitar-playing (kinda' like band camp).

Out of the blue he rings me up and asks if I could come in and talk about live and recorded audio, of course, using my Disney background as the ice breaker. So of course I said yes!

So he limits the enrollment to only 51 students, and has other professionals come in and talk to them about "music industry" stuff, applied music theory stuff, guitar techniques, etc.,...and this is the first time he's offering them insights into audio and recording, especially with the demand it has these days since it's so easy to buy a laptop , an interface, and some mics, and basically go-to-town (much easier than 30 years ago when cheap recording meant a 4-track cassette porta-studio OR you were renting pro studio time.

So for the last day or so I've been banging my head against the wall on how to do my particular workshop, and I've just come to the realization, I'm just gonna bring in some drums, my recording stuff, and just talk about tracking stuff with only two mics. I figure seeing the process would probably mean a lot more than talking about what's supposed to be happening in a theoretical fashion. And I get to play some drums too.

And in there I have to mention the mouse gig and other things....

It's nice when people think you have something to offer and offer you the opportunity to give. Doing something like this had never even crossed my mind until I got the call. Maybe I can make this a new career path?

I'll follow up how it all went. I get to do this twice this Friday morning!

Sounds like fun Bo and seems like the approach you're taking will be spot on for this crowd.

Any chance your presentation will be recorded? I'd be interested in seeing it.

Sounds like fun Bo and seems like the approach you're taking will be spot on for this crowd.

Any chance your presentation will be recorded? I'd be interested in seeing it.

+1.........sounds like a great time and a new opportunity at the same time........good luck

Back