RIP Aker Bilk

RIP a great jazz legend, may he be playing the great concert in heaven.

I was watching Boardwalk Empire earlier and, about 5th or 6th episode, the end music is that famous piece of clarinet music Acker Bilk is famous for (sorry, I have NO idea what it's called).

The episode ends, I turn the news on....right there...he's on BBC News 24 playing that exact piece.

Shivers up me spine

Strangers On The Shore would be his most famous, among none Jazz people at least. Probably that, without hearing the series.

Not just 'Acker Bilk," but "Mr. Acker Bilk."

Good memories. Mom and Dad had his albums when I was a kid. I'd bet that if I went spelunking in Dad's basement, those old albums would turn up.

Yep, yours was far better put together, and mine was first, my apologies for not doing the detail you did to do him justice. Hope no offense was caused.

Mine was all cut and paste. I found it while searching for Bert Kaempfert . another stlye from the hits of the 60's

As soon as I read this I could hear that song Strangers on the Shore in my mind. I haven't thought of that song in decades. Wow... music leaves such an imprint in our memories.

Don't know about you, but I dont think enough parents call there boys "Acker".

Or Bernard..............Born Bernard Stanley Bilk....Bilk adopted the name Acker from a local slang term for friend.

Last edited:
Back