I jammed with people I didn't know!

Sounds like you have turned a corner in terms of confidence! Awesome. I have not done jam nights but recently we did a three band gig. The drummer from one of the bands had to leave early so they asked me to sit in. I was familiar as a listener with most of the songs but a couple I had never heard. I really enjoyed it and my bandmates asked how I knew all those songs. I said I had never played several and never heard of a few and they were surprised. What a great feeling!

I really am glad you share your experiences on here. I enjoy reading your experiences!

Awesome. I really love to support my favorite local jam. I've gotten so many new friends, played so much new music, and rocked so hard that Wednesday is literally one of my favorite nights of the week, each week.

You can do your part to make sure that it doesn't devolve into the same songs with the same players each week if you keep going and make sure everyone feels welcome, not just the really good players. It can be weird, because there still is a line where it's just not fun to play with someone who is totally clueless, but try to be aware when there's other (even slightly competent) drummers in the room and encourage them to play!

I wanna do what Madge did.
As I said earlier, Thursday night :)

Sounds like you have turned a corner in terms of confidence! Awesome. I have not done jam nights but recently we did a three band gig. The drummer from one of the bands had to leave early so they asked me to sit in. I was familiar as a listener with most of the songs but a couple I had never heard. I really enjoyed it and my bandmates asked how I knew all those songs. I said I had never played several and never heard of a few and they were surprised. What a great feeling!

I really am glad you share your experiences on here. I enjoy reading your experiences!

I'm pretty sure that your experience was more Woo! than mine, haga! I do thank you for your support. It never ceases to amaze me what a difference supportive people can make :D

You can do your part to make sure that it doesn't devolve into the same songs with the same players each week if you keep going and make sure everyone feels welcome, not just the really good players. It can be weird, because there still is a line where it's just not fun to play with someone who is totally clueless, but try to be aware when there's other (even slightly competent) drummers in the room and encourage them to play!

Watso, it grieves me enormously to say it, but you're absolutely right. If it hadn't been for people giving me a chance and cutting me ACRES of slack, I wouldn't be in a band and I certainly wouldn't be jamming with Other People.

You learn a lot from the bad players, like how to hold it all together and how to think on your feet. I consider jamming like an exercise for drummers to learn how to play with others, like a college class or something. In friggin valuable experience. Don't get bummed out at the bad tunes, you learn so much from them. It's all good, and keep smiling.

OMG can you get any cuter Madge? You look terrific. When you smile you look even terrific-er

Send me your bill, Larry. You're worth every cent, you hero!

Back