should i swap my acrylic kit for a DDrum dominion maple?

charliejuson

I know this is down to personal opinion but i have been offered to swap an acrylic kit that i have built for a DDrum dominion maple kit fully hard cased with snare to match.

This is my kit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5ynY0miYjA

and another video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c84s1qrIzBQ I pull the rack tom mic closer further on in the video and turn the gain on the bass drum mic up so you can hear it better.

I say "should i swap my acrylic kit for a DDrum dominion maple?" basically what i mean is, what would you do?

I can't seem to find a DDrum dominion kit for sale anywhere so can't compare on the price, I was trying to sell my acrylic kit for around £500/$840.

If anyone could tell me how much the DDrum kit is worth new as well, that would be great

cheers

I really like my Dominion Maples, bought used as a 6 piece shell pack for $550, later added an 8" Ash tom.

However your acrylic kit is very sweet looking and has a very good fat sound. Guess if you plan on building another later and your cost plus labor doesn't exceed the value of the Ddrums why not.

Yes, No, I mean ... ?? Only you can prevent regret and decide for yourself. I would, IF the DW drums were more to my needs and appreciation. I would not if I enjoyed playing the current drums. You would also have to decide if you needed some cash on the table from the other dude you're considering trading with. If your acrylic kit is a Ludwig Vistalite kit, it is likely worth more. On the day, it can only be your call.

I love maple shells, so I say go for it!

How many shells, and in what condition?

I know this is down to personal opinion but i have been offered to swap an acrylic kit that i have built for a DDrum dominion maple kit fully hard cased with snare to match.

This is my kit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5ynY0miYjA

and another video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c84s1qrIzBQ I pull the rack tom mic closer further on in the video and turn the gain on the bass drum mic up so you can hear it better.

I say "should i swap my acrylic kit for a DDrum dominion maple?" basically what i mean is, what would you do?

I can't seem to find a DDrum dominion kit for sale anywhere so can't compare on the price, I was trying to sell my acrylic kit for around £500/$840.

If anyone could tell me how much the DDrum kit is worth new as well, that would be great

cheers

i should have said the kits specs, it is 3 months old, very good condition, sizes are 20x20 kick, 12x8 rack 14x12floor 16x12 floor, 14x6 snare. They are all fully hard cased as well.

Only you can decide but if it were me I would not. You put the time into assembling that kit to your specs, and even though acrylic gets a bad rep I personally have loved the sound of all the acrylic sets that I have played. Those ddrums can be had pretty cheap on ebay but rci shells + the hardware for them generally cannot be had cheap.

sizes are 20x20 kick

hands down keep your acrylic. why?

1. you made it, that effort is very cool.
2. sounds quite cool and it looks even cooler
3. a 20 x 20 bass drum is not so cool, to me. i would never buy one personally, that is just a strange size. My guess is that's why the dude wants to trade for yours (also the cool factor).

BUT this is all my opinion, which is what you asked for

As it says in the post, he assembled the acrylic kit, assumedly from RCI shells or something the like.

Actually, in doesn't say anything of the sort. He said he "built" the kit so I don't assume meant anything other than he assembled a kit. Most people do that by acquiring and putting together a kit from whatever pieces you have. He never said assembled.

The DDrums are worth $1,299 new. And personally, I would not go for it. Your kit looks amazing and if you assembled it yourself, don't give it up. Yeah, maples gonna sound great, but thats your kit and btw your kit does sound good.

I would stick with your acrylic. But thats just me.

Hoped I helped.

Another vote here for "Keep what you have".

A. They sound pretty good to me, at least as good as a Youtube movie can show.

B. You built them.

C. They look BOSS. :D

The maples would have to sound and look a heck of a lot better than the acrylics for me to justify the trade.

thanks for the input, i think i will keep this kit as it did take a fair bit of work. To add onto the previous comments, when i say "built" i mean that i bought the parts and shells (pre drilled mostly) and put the hardware on, i had to drill holes for the bass drum spurs, floor tom brackets, an extra hole for each of the lugs and vent holes.

I do like this kit however i do not have the correct and best ways of storing it, it is just stacked up in my dining room, no cases or anything. I can't afford hard cases or pro racket cases so these are obtaining a few scratches now and again which is part of the reason i am trying to get rid of them, It would probably be the same with the DDrum kit if i swapped but they came fully hard cased.

I think i'll just have to save up for some decent, second hand cases. Thanks for the input guys

Back