Demotivated. How do you freshen up?

sometimes it's just utterly boring practicing on your own. Especially if it's basic stuff, or something you'll never really need. I have to play in a band situation, or at least a jam, to keep motivated. If I'm not in that situation, then I won't feel the need to practice at all, simply because I won't need to use anything I would be practicing. I have to practice all the time, because I'm in a fast metal band, but I also do fill ins with a light rock/folk act that requires extreme finesse, and is quite a different feel from heavy hitting metal. It's quite the challenge, but it really keeps up the motivation up to practice all of the time. Some people are bed room musicians, and never get out in public, or play with anyone else. Those people simply do it for the love of playing the instrument, and "practice" just to play. But, if you're like me, you gotta have people to play with for it to have any meaning, or hold your interest in the instrument.

Take a few days break and do something you've never done before. Like sky diving or a salsa (dance) lesson... Expose yourself to new experiences. Listen to the rhythms.

Then when you are feeling like it, go back into your room/studio and make up random new grooves. if anything good comes up, record them...if not, that's cool too.

Back