How would this sound to you guys?

J2dab

I have a 20" K Custom Ride and a 22" AAX OMNI ride. I love the ping sound and stick definition with the 20" KCR, and I love the crash ability of the 22" AAX OMNI. Could these be alright together on my kit sound wise or would that just be stupid and a waist of space?

That's totally up to you. If it sounds good, then do it. Recently I took a Omni back to the store and traded it for a K. I tried to pair it with a 20" Sabian ISO crash. I loved the Omni but it didn't mix well with the ISO, crash wise. The ISO and the K sound good together. Let your ears be the judge.

I think I will just have to try it out and see how it sounds like you said. The only problem I am having is how to set it up where I can use both rides. Thanks for your reply by the way.

^^^ What they said. There is no right or wrong. You have to decide if the space constraints and feel you want can be reconciled into the sound you want with that equipment. If so, it's perfect. If not, you will have to experiment with smaller, thicker, thinner or different brand until you hit upon the feel/sound you desire. That's part of the fun of drumming - it's all up to you and your specific desire - at that moment.

Use both together if you like playing them together.
I often have two 20" rides on the right. One is about two inches above, and slightly overlapping the other so I can move quickly between them, and I don't have to reach far. usually I just have a 16" crash to go with them (and the hats), but I sometimes incorporate an additional 18" crash/ride to the left as well.
It's all good when they sound good to you.

I'm going to give it a shot and see how it sounds. I will probably overlap them, But give them more then 2" of clearance. I just love how sweet the crash sound on the omni is. I played around with the 22" aaxOmni and the zildjian 21 inch sweet. The crash on the Omni is so much better. Thanks for all your inputs on my little issue!

Well I tried the 22" AAX OMNI with the 20" K Custom Ride and they did not sound good together to my ear. I went and exchanged the Omni for the 21" A sweet ride and now I have the sound I was looking. Thanks everyone!

All subjective, one size does not fit all?

Also remember what you hear behind the kit is not what the audience hears through the band.

Every once in a while when i host a jam i get to hear my kit with a band and someone else playing them. I always find it interesting to hear the difference.

All subjective, one size does not fit all?

Also remember what you hear behind the kit is not what the audience hears through the band.

Every once in a while when i host a jam i get to hear my kit with a band and someone else playing them. I always find it interesting to hear the difference.

That is so true! I have heard so much mixed feelings on that .If you like how it sounds go with it or go with how it sounds from the audiences view.

Back