Is this more money than sense?

You have to give credit where credit is due. The guy has made for some of the most entertaining threads and posts over the years. Not many can come close to Glen as far as mileage goes. You guys unintentionally have given him cult status here. I mean his presence here has spawned many classic DW stories. Like it or not, the place is richer because of his involvement. He is the guy most love to hate. His kits are something else. I for one like seeing them. Not crazy about the way he plays them, but in his case the entertainment factor more than makes up for it. I kinda feel bad for the guy, even though I know how quickly he can turn on you. He could be the closest thing to a drum tragic that I've ever seen. I wish him well in his endeavors. And you gotta admire his tenacity. He is always trying to shoehorn himself back into everyone's good graces here. Not gonna happen with our resident pitbull Arky on the job though lol.

I agree with what has been said... There's definitely some positive aspects he had.
But he has to learn to accept a few things - e.g. when the founder of a forum decides to not have him any longer as a member. Everybody is considered to accept this, including Glen. He kept coming back... and was tolerated to some degree. But managed to make himself a persona non grata repeatedly. As our forum founder doesn't want Glen/Sticks to be a member here I will stick to this policy and keep banning him.

A typical situation when he would try to reappear under a different username is when he would be mentioned in a thread and feel like he had to justify himself or clarify something. Those times are gone - Glen, please do so on other forums. You know what will happen if you try this here - things keep repeating themselves with no real benefit.

On topic: BTW, considering the total worth of all those drums & hardware combined, doesn't even slightly less sense than that money make a rather intelligent person? ;-)

I registered on here in 2011 but didn't really spend much time on here, thus why my count is so low. So no sadly I do not know who he is, or even heard about him which is why I started this thread, though I am sorry for bringing up what appear to be bad memories? I want his leedy but I don't like Saturns... too common. I want a Radio King one day <3 Plus after the new mapex logo change, I can't go near a mapex kit with a barge pole...

The thing that I always found odd about Glen is that he was far from unintelligent. I wouldn't chalk him up as a member of Mensa but outside of his obsessions (Rush, Mapex Drums, Neil Peart, etc) he was quite reasoned and erudite. When emotions became involved - including his obsessions - he was quite the opposite. Reactionary, difficult, immature and spewing malice whenever anybody contradicted his emotional position.

That's what I found most upsetting about the saga. Speaking with a little bit of knowledge (and based on some of my professional experience) Glen may very well have a specific personality disorder. I find it all personally upsetting because if my assumptions are correct, I actually have the same personality disorder but I don't let it manifest itself in quite the same way. There is real potential for him to be a highly valued member of a number of forums if he didn't continually let himself down with explosive emotional reactions and that is something I've worked on for years before I even had my diagnosis.

So was I.

Way to kill the thread. Jk
Either way both those comments suck.
Hit man abuse isn't cool to joke about nor would it justify s4d actions. Keep it simple proves you can end up a good guy with a crappy childhood. Sorry bout that simple but thanks for sharing.

Is this more money than sense?

I don't know but what I do know is that Mapex has some of the best finishes on drums I have ever seen. I'm not digging their "My Denity" stuff even if you can choose a normal scheme or design but the finishes on the rest of their stuff is incredible, even their past models.

Hit man abuse isn't cool to joke about nor would it justify s4d actions. Keep it simple proves you can end up a good guy with a crappy childhood. Sorry bout that simple but thanks for sharing.
about time this thread was killed off anyhow TBH, but that wasn't my intention. I have no issue discussing my past, & especially things over which I had no control. The abuse was in my early years in an orphanage. Horrible, but probably not too surprising to hear that it wasn't just me who fell prey to such practices.

How each individual responds to such events, and others that no child should endure, varies vastly. Some can rise above it & move on, others are consumed by it. Often, the victim has no choice which path they take, it's mostly too powerful to control, so I neither judge, nor dare to be so conceited as to use myself as a benchmark. There are unrelated things that consume me to this day that I cannot control, especially when I'm on my own. I think that makes me just about the same as many others - a mix of emotions held together by the need to support & guide more than just yourself.

Well said, Andy. I may be only slightly more religiously inclined than Richard Dawkins but "judge not, lest ye be judged" is a good saying.

Abuse is not an excuse but it certainly is an explanation. As a keen collector of personality disorders I can say it's not always easy to meet people's behavioural expectations when you're crazy. Someone mentioned that his comments tended to be like those of a 15-year old. I expect that's around the time a part of him stopped growing due to the trauma. Then follows the endless cycle of subconsciously driven attempted resolution ...

Judge him for his poison pen PMs and disruptiveness on the forum but don't judge him for being passionate about his hobby. Especially when that hobby is drum related!

Sorry for being so serious. I am a very serious person.

anim_cockroach-autopsy.jpg

i'm not joking and he did use it as an explanation to justify his actions, i can link the thread if you like i'm sure it's not necessary. my point is that it was his explanation for why he's the way he is.

sorry about what happened to you keep it simple.
it is not my intention to make light of anything so serious as child abuse.

apologies to anyone who took offense.

As much as I have all the sympathy in the World for people with difficult starts (and I have some friends with incredibly difficult starts) I still think that justifying your actions through that lens is not only disingenuous but also insulting to others that have overcome similar adversity.

It's a very sad case and in this instance, nobody wins.

Dunc, he mentioned it very early on and didn't raise it again. You have to take the situation on board when looking at his behaviour. And badges are important.

75 posts, several dedicated threads, umpteen bannings and still going strong!!

And people try to tell me there is such a thing as "bad" publicity? You're kidding yourselves.

Way to go Sticksy!! And to think you used to tell me Drummerworld never cared?

i'm not joking and he did use it as an explanation to justify his actions, i can link the thread if you like i'm sure it's not necessary. my point is that it was his explanation for why he's the way he is.

sorry about what happened to you keep it simple.
it is not my intention to make light of anything so serious as child abuse.

apologies to anyone who took offense.

Ok. He was a bit before my time so I didn't realize he had admitted that happened. It's just when I read your post it seemed random so I assumed it was a joke. My bad and you know what they say about assuming. So I apologize. I wasn't offended by your post but I wanted to make sure no one else was either.

Keep it simple- beautiful post. I understand what you mean but in my experience if you try your best to put that behind you (not ignore but not let it control you) it won't affect you. You make the person you grow up to be. I've always felt that way. But that's just me.

Must be trolling... But even still. Some of those kits are gorgeous; the Tama Starclassic Walnut in particular caught my eye...

Yes,Tama was his first love. He had a huge Tama kit back in the day. Glad to see that he sticks to his drumming roots. Like I said in another thread, a Tama enthusiast doesn't need to question whether he wants a Tama.

Shoot, if I had that kind of cash, I'd take 2 of those big Saturn kits and trade them in for a Guru.

Back