It's confirmed: I have carpal tunnel syndrome

Some people have horrendous symptoms with the condition, and as with your's, my mother in law also had surgery and had a completely successful outcome. Maybe the drug they are giving you is the way to go for the time being, at least you are getting some results and partial relief. I have been prescribed Tramadol for a couple of months and my doc has tried me on several other drugs but i seem to get a fair amount of pain relief from these, however being a high dosage i do suffer some unpleasant side effects for which i have to take another pill to counter! It's all trial and error and what works for me may not work for you.
Aside from the playing discomfort mediocre day to day tasks such as opening food packaging and especially milk cartons, gets me so mad, i just can't do it!!!

But I've decided to just wear my braces when I sleep, and pay attention to what I'm doing during the day. I don't want my wrists to get weak because they're braced 24 hours a day. But I had a gig today and played ok. I didn't really beat up my hands this time out and noticed that as I relaxed my way through the music, the numbness didn't come on as quickly, either. So I'll keep everybody in the loop as to how I'm doing. I thank you all for the positive words of encouragement!

Wearing the braces in bed is a good move, it stops the unconcious movement intyo awkward and damaging positions and supports the wrists to repair any damage you have done during the day. I hope your efforts make a real difference, I was way past that point when I was diagnosed.

Haha!
By global Drummerworld standards we are neighbors, which is always nice to know!

I don't know much about your town, but you guys make the best sauce!

Embarrassed for even bothering to derail the thread with such a lame joke,
8Mile

Most carpal tunnel syndrome cases are misdiagnosed. Probably one of the most unnecessary surgeries done in the US today next to hysterectomies and C sections. Carpal tunnel pain can usually be fixed with a couple sessions of trigger point muscle therapy. I wish you were on the east coast, I know the perfect person for this. Or go to www.wpgb.com Saturdays and Sundays from 10-11:00 EST (7-8 am your time) and call Dr. Winer's show and ask him his advice. He's helped hundreds of people with carpal tunnel and can point you in the right direction. Conventional medical doctors know little if nothing about trigger point muscle therapy. Good luck Bo! And if you wanna get rid of any of your kits in the meantime (Granstar..) let me know :)

Back