The classical mess?

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Found on Craigslist. Check out this ad for a drum teacher:

"Looking for students of all ages to teach drumming! I'm a very versatile drummer who can teach drums very well. I have taught several students before but never got paid for it, so it's time for change! I'm 19 years old and have been drumming for 5 years. I also know music theory because I started playing piano when I was 6, so I know my stuff! Must have a drum set (acoustic or electric) available for me to teach you(or your child) on. I only charge $15 for half an hour! Let me know if you have any questions!
My number is....."

Back when dinosaurs roamed the planet, when I took drum lessons, I started off with rudaments on the snare drum and got good share drum technique before progressing to drum set.

Well, he is being an enterprising young man. I wish him luck getting students. His price seems consistent with prices I've seen in my area for beginning lessons. However, I'm sure there are more experienced teachers in his area as well that he must compete with

Imagine taking a lesson from somebody with unbridled/unmedicated ADHD...

You rang? :)

I agree. I have never attempted to give lessons despite drumming for decades and having a 3-year training qualification and I've ran a fair few training workshops in the workplace.

Personally, I'd never have a lesson with someone who isn't a white-hot player, which is why I would never consider teaching drums (plus being half mad and having no interest :). I think it's important for teachers to be great players because it proves their methods work.

A relative beginner with 5 years under the belt and no rep? Hopefully he has his grip and stroke together and knows how to teach it, because that's the most important thing for starting drummers who are old enough to focus IMO. If he gets that wrong it could put a young student back years and even result in the person quitting through disillusionment.

someone who is 5 years into the journey should be teaching no one

just my opinion obviously

that is pretty much rookie status in drum years

Anthony, I largely agree with you but we also learn a lot from our peers. The guy's offering a budget service (in Sydney drum lessons are $60+ an hour). You see the same dynamic on Jared Falk's videos - peer-based learning where intermediate drummers pass on tips to their less skilled peers.

I think that kind of learning has value in "folk music" (in the most generic sense) but it's not something that will lead to a student to art music. So, if they choose to go that way later on, they'll have to do some backtracking to fill the gaps, which is a hard thing to do.

Who knows? Maybe he's really on it

For sure. His ad says so. He did start piano at 6, so he knows his stuff........he just doesn't have any stuff to teach on. :)

I wish him luck too.....but can't help be reminded of the time a friend of mine told me he was going to run a cafe/eatery. He'd never worked in hospitality before and when I asked him what he knew about running a cafe, his reply was "well, I eat!!" Needless to say, he's no longer there.

Anthony, I largely agree with you but we also learn a lot from our peers. The guy's offering a budget service (in Sydney drum lessons are $60+ an hour). You see the same dynamic on Jared Falk's videos - peer-based learning where intermediate drummers pass on tips to their less skilled peers.

I think that kind of learning has value in "folk music" (in the most generic sense) but it's not something that will lead to a student to art music. So, if they choose to go that way later on, they'll have to do some backtracking to fill the gaps, which is a hard thing to do.

Grea would you call someone who had an ad written like that?

unless he is some prodigy whos reputation precedes him or he has some serious references via people I trust there is not an ice cubes chance in hell that I would be calling this cat to teach my kid to tie his shoes let alone drum

Grea would you call someone who had an ad written like that?

unless he is some prodigy whos reputation precedes him or he has some serious references via people I trust there is not an ice cubes chance in hell that I would be calling this cat to teach my kid to tie his shoes let alone drum

Yeah my attitude leans more this way. But what of Cobus?

;)

Back