It's the little things that matter...

MaryO

Platinum Member
No, that's not what she said :).... It's what I'm finding out as I journey further into this drumming experience. Last week after comments from several of you who watched my Carlock contest attempt, I adjusted my right rack Tom ever so slightly for better reach. Tonight, before beginning my practice I raised the front of my bass drum about an inch or so. OMG! The difference these two small adjustments have made. I feel like I'm behind a whole new kit!

I love discovering these little subtleties that can make a huge difference. I guess this is nothing new for most of you but maybe I can help other noobs to see that it's not that you always need the biggest, baddest equipment, it's what you do with it ( okay, that IS what she said ).

As always, Happy drumming!

MaryO

agreed but sometimes they can have the oposite effect- ever tune your snare drum? That is somthing that takes me a while. A small change can really ruin your day.

ON the good side, I just raised my hats a couple inches and it has allowed me to reallly make big advances in the way I fill and play the hats. I was somewhat obsessed with keeping them low and finaly just tried them up a bit and the obsession is over...

Kudos! Did you ever do a final vid for the Carlock thing?

I never intended to actually submit it but I did go over it with my teacher and have still been playing around with it here and there adding and trying new things. It's been fun.

You beat me to the punchline. Dang!

I used to fret over angles and distances and heights, but after a couple of decades, the drums are like an old pair of leather boots that fit you just perfect. At first they're a little hard to get comfortable and worn-in a little, but then one day they are perfect and more comfortable than you could ever imagine they'd be. Keep it up, Mary! There is a lifetime of discovery in those tubs and pies.

Back