how to start drumming as a career?

Nick G.

so, im only 16 (17 in a week :D )

but im seriously thinking about my drumming and how to take it further

i know the must be loads of you guys that do session drumming/teaching/band drumming/all other sorts of drumming as your career and was wondering how you get there?

i mean, what i want to be doing is session drumming for all sorts of music but i have no idea how to start in this :S

how did you guys do it, could you give me any pointers etc?

Well, I can't pretend to be any sort of professional drummer, but I'd say...metronome, play a lot, and listen to as much music from every genre as you can!

Know as many styles as you can - not just the beats, but really listen to the music.

Be able to sight read anything - this is easier said than done.

If you want to teach, study the teaching styles of other teachers. Find out what books they use, how they structure their lessons, etc. Buy as many method books as you can so when you are ready to teach, you will know which ones will work best for you. Also think about taking lessons on other percussion instruments such as marimba, latin percussion etc. to make you more well rounded as a teacher and musician.

Remember that a job will happen when preparedness meets opportunity, do put all your work into preparing now.

Jeff

Well, I can't pretend to be any sort of professional drummer, but I'd say...metronome, play a lot, and listen to as much music from every genre as you can!

i didnt mean the practicing part

i meant like who do you have to start speaking to??
local recording studios??
how do you get your name out there?

thanks for the input though

Know as many styles as you can - not just the beats, but really listen to the music.

Be able to sight read anything - this is easier said than done.

If you want to teach, study the teaching styles of other teachers. Find out what books they use, how they structure their lessons, etc. Buy as many method books as you can so when you are ready to teach, you will know which ones will work best for you. Also think about taking lessons on other percussion instruments such as marimba, latin percussion etc. to make you more well rounded as a teacher and musician.

Remember that a job will happen when preparedness meets opportunity, do put all your work into preparing now.

Jeff

thanks, thats really helpful, especially the teaching part

• Get out and play with people.
  • Don't force it.
  • Get to know people.
  • Let them get to know you.
  • Keep your life focused on what you want. To be a drummer!
  • Save your money for equipment instead of partying, and the latest clothes.
  • Make sure you have fun doing it.
  • When the time is right, don't be afraid to make the move to a big city and fulfill the dream! It's easier when you are younger and not married!

What is the chance of making it in the NFL..? and old friend of mine was a pretty successful linebacker in the NFL. He said from the time he was in 5th grade he only had one thing on his mind. Playing in the NFL..

Kind of the same thing with music and drums. If you really want it you can make it happen, and, if you have what it takes (time, chops, personality, etc.) it will happen.

A very inspiring movie (imo) is "That Think You do." It's about a band that becomes a One Hit Wonder in the 50s/60s. It's kind of through the drummer's eyes. The moral of the story is to not worry about the bands you play in as much as staying true to your craft. Bands will come and band's will go, but you can be there for a long time if you so desire...

Remember! You are young. This has two big consequences. 1) You may not be able to easily get into the places you need to. 2) You will most likely be playing with older people. No matter how good you are, older people need to be showed respect as such. This will go a long way for a young musician...

my 65 cents for you hellohal.

Use the search function on this forum. There have been threads like this before where a lot of us that make a living from drumming have given in depth information. It will save you a lot of time if you find that.

i know the must be loads of you guys that do session drumming/teaching/band drumming/all other sorts of drumming as your career and was wondering how you get there?

Simple...you get out there and do it. You look for opportunities to play, and you get out there and do it. If you don't know how, you go out and look...talk to people involved with what you want to do and talk with them about it. Networking is your friend. Every once in a while, you get your foot in a door that will open for you WAY down the road. Keep your contacts fresh and don't burn any bridges, no matter how trivial they seem. Don't do anything that will mar your reputation. Be punctual, reliable, and appropriate.

i mean, what i want to be doing is session drumming for all sorts of music but i have no idea how to start in this :S

Good luck with becoming a session drummer. It's virtually a thing of the past. So many people have home studios nowadays that it's really hard to get into the few spots left (they're usually taken). Like I said before, get to know people and get involved in lots of projects. Some take off, others don't. Be persistent. Network, network, network!!!

how did you guys do it, could you give me any pointers etc?

Are you okay with starving for a while? Or, do you want to find a job to support you until you can earn enough income to live off of. Choosing one of those routes is how most people do it. Chances are it won't happen overnight. Keep at it. The amount of time you spend "out there" looking, networking, and gigging will probably pay off. There are no guarantees in this business, but if you keep at it and are wise, you CAN make it work...

I could tell you how I got started but none of that would be relevant. From what I can tell there's just no system to work your way up through, not like there was when I was a kid.
Those of us who got into this business forty years ago had a totally different experience from the one you're going to have.
So here's what I think you should do. I think you should quit school and move to New York or Los Angeles. You should be prepared to scuffle around for places to sleep. You should be prepared to go without eating. Anytime, I mean anytime, you see a gig, an open-mic, a jam session, anything that looks interesting, you need to go there even if it's freezing cold and you have to walk all the way, even if you don't own a warm coat.
You want to make lots of friends who are already working, not that there are very many of those because nobody's paying musicians any more, especially the ones who are just starting out. But don't let that put you off. Anyone who is working you want to make your friend, even if it means taking out their garbage.
You'll need to develop a nose to sniff out where the heavy, "real" stuff is happening. Keep your ear to the ground. Trust me, when you get hungry enough it becomes second nature.
Always be where the "real" stuff is happening, always. You'll feel like a jerk at first, hanging around not knowing anyone, but after awhile you'll get into the role.
Hang on way past the point of sanity. You're entering a realm that isn't for the weak of heart. Hang on, go everwhere you can and meet everyone. When you get the chance to play then play with all your heart and soul.
Even if nothing comes from all this you'll have had a hell of an experience. But I'd be lying to you if I said that the odds are in your favor.

There is no formula, but there are a few things that could help.

-Location. Some places are known for music. LA, New York, Austin, Nashville.

-Talent. Know your own skill level on a REALISTIC basis, and compare it to the other drummers around you. A good way of doing this is to play for people who don't know you at all or give a rat's ass about your feelings. They WILL let you know if your playing is not up to par. Some of them will piss you off. Get back at them by becoming a better musician.

-Time. Drummers like Ben Gillies and Tony Royster Jr. are rare in the world of pro drumming. The rest of us have to work at it and put in the time and practice. I've been drumming since the age of eight, and ten years later I was being humbled by a judge at a jazz festival for my un-musical technique.

-Experience. Buddy Rich didn't really practice as much as he just PLAYED with bands. Getting into it with other musicians teaches you quite a bit more about drumming as a MUSICIAN than basement jamming ever will. Most pros want more than just flash and style. You have to back it up with something solid and tasteful.

-Variety. Good drummers are usually much more than meets the eye, and the guy slamming away in some screamo band might be just as good playing a good swing or samba or bossa nova without much trouble.

-Work Ethic. Treat a gig like you would treat any straight job. If you want to be a professional, act like one in a business sense. Even in the comfy setting of a dedicated band, if you are constantly pissing the other guys off by bitching all the time, being late, too drunk to play or missing in action, you will likely be kicking rocks down the road, or worse, the band may not go very far.

I've been playing for 25 years now and I still work a regular job to support my drumming. I'm still keeping at it after all this time because I still have the passion for it, but I have also not taken as many risks as I could have and sometimes you have to take a chance if you're going to get anywhere. I say if you have something genuinely good to offer, and you take it to the right situation, you may have a better chance.

Nobody is secretly looking through the windows of your jam space trying to find the next big thing, that's for damn sure!

+1 to Mikecore's work ethic comment. No matter what your job, if you are not a good coworker and cannot be trusted to do what you were hired to do without drama, the odds of you getting another job along the same lines are slim - even more so in the music biz, where musicians talk to each other constantly. You need to be on time, prepared, dependable, flexible, honest, and have the gig and the song's best interests at heart - not yours. You need to be prepared to deal with others on the gig who are not any of these things - including occasionally the person who hired you (!) - with dignity, tact, and calm.

True story: After a couple of good gigs playing for musicals in my area, I was hired on to drum in the pit for a brand-new, never-before staged musical. And the musical director was a very accomplished individual who had writtwen the score, and knew exactly what he wanted to hear - and wrote it down. He also had a reputation as a no-nonsense director who would work you hard and mercilessly, and you either got what he wanted right very quickly or you were let go.

So I made the following my priorities:
1) Read and prepare the parts as soon as I got them, as best as could be done to the demo CD provided. (And I only got the parts and CD two days before the first rehearsal.)
2) Make sure I had all the necessary sounds and kit parts in my set to support what was noted in the score.
3) Be at least ten, and preferably twenty, minutes early to every practice. This way I could stretch and warm up, ask questions if I had any, and listen to the selections being rehearsed on my iPod prior to starting.
4) Shelve my ego. This guy wrote the music - essentially, he made the rules. If he said he wanted it such and so way, it was my job - what I was being paid for - to do exactly what he said. The only time I allowed myself to speak up about any part he had written was if he had asked for an instrument I could not acquire.
5) No matter what, act as if I was thrilled and excited to be there working for him.

Did I get scuffed up every now and again? Oh yes. Did I make mistakes? Oh yes, even on the live recording. But did it work? Quite well. I not only got through the gig, but also received a bonus and a recommendation for other gigs in the area, plus comped tickets to some of his other shows. I hold that gig up as "my finest hour".

Good luck, and keep asking questions - - and don't EVER give up!

Hey I notice you're in Hove,

You may or may not have heard of this place...

http://www.acm.ac.uk/

It's based in Guildford what used to be my home town! Looks like your just about leaving school, maybe heading into 6th form or college or whatever. I would suggest considering this place as a full time student, I think you'll probably just about make it in time to get on for the new term?...it's been a while since I flunked out of college..

They actively place you in bands with other students who are there learning guitar/bass etc so you'll be in a great position to learn the craft. I didn't actually go to the ACM, however my drum teacher did and is now a pro musician last time I saw him...a couple of years ago now..

A lot of my friends went there and have done well for themselves but they struggled early in life whereas I got a job in IT and got a house etc I took the easy / less satisfying root they didn't and THEY made it work for themselves.

Good luck!

I can share my experiences in how not to drum as a career. My big 5 tips on avoiding a drumming career are:

1. Don't get lessons or use a metronome in your formative drumming years

2. Overplay so you can find a place to squeeze in your pet cjops

3. Play in bands with poor management and discipline

4. Stay in bands with poor management

5. Be too unconfident to network.

Hey I notice you're in Hove,

You may or may not have heard of this place...

http://www.acm.ac.uk/

It's based in Guildford what used to be my home town! Looks like your just about leaving school, maybe heading into 6th form or college or whatever. I would suggest considering this place as a full time student, I think you'll probably just about make it in time to get on for the new term?...it's been a while since I flunked out of college..

They actively place you in bands with other students who are there learning guitar/bass etc so you'll be in a great position to learn the craft. I didn't actually go to the ACM, however my drum teacher did and is now a pro musician last time I saw him...a couple of years ago now..

A lot of my friends went there and have done well for themselves but they struggled early in life whereas I got a job in IT and got a house etc I took the easy / less satisfying root they didn't and THEY made it work for themselves.

Good luck!

wow, my parents will be seeing this as soon as they get home :D

dont think i could do the actual school part but the saturday thing looks really good

thanks for showing

I can share my experiences in how not to drum as a career. My big 5 tips on avoiding a drumming career are:

1. Don't get lessons or use a metronome in your formative drumming years

2. Overplay so you can find a place to squeeze in your pet cjops

3. Play in bands with poor management and discipline

4. Stay in bands with poor management

5. Be too unconfident to network.

wait? this is what ive been doing? i thought it was good :(

jokes, i pretty much am the opposite of all of that except for the last one :(

that last one about networking is a biggie. other than being a solid player and a good person to work with, getting to know people in the biz is a major, major thing. most people want to work with someone they already know. i guess you could get a gig through a blind audition without knowing anybody, but that's kind of rare. you really need to know someone if you want the gig.

HelloHal, check out my my friend's bio:
http://web.me.com/hujo1/Bio-Press/Joes_Bio.html
He went to my high school back in the day. He is now a fantastic drummer who is versatile in many types of music. He has taken the hard road to get where he's at. Like many many drummers out there, he has not broken into the BIG TIME...but, he's certainly as good and as experienced as any drummer out there. Notice his training, lessons from some really really good drummers and went to college for Music at Berklee. I hope this gives you an idea on how some career drummers have done it. Rock on !

major thing. most people want to work with someone they already know

This is so true. The Music Business. Another thread said it's about 20% music and 80% business. Well, it's like every other form of business. Who would you rather conduct business with? Someone you don't know and therefore can't trust because you don't know them, or would you rather conduct business with someone you know, like, and trust? Now reverse the previous question? Who would other people prefer to conduct business with? Someone they know, like, and trust. (Believe me, I've had this hammered into my head at Chamber of Commerce meetings....)

Get out there, NETWORK, let people know who you are, what you do, what you can do for them, and what you can bring to the table. Go to as many jams, open mic nights, play alongs, live gigs, as you possibly can. TALK to people. BE SEEN. Check you ego at the door. Be respectful, be helpful. If someone needs equipment brought in or carryed, Volunteer, but don't be used. ASK QUESTIONS. And keep at it no matter what!

A bass guitarist on one band I am in has been layed off from his real job and is trying to find one, but can't. He's 3 classes away from obtaining his master's degree. He's one great bass player and very likeable, very knowledgeable, and has wonderful technique.
Others in our band were inquiring as to his employment status because we're concerned and trying to help him out. He stated he's been going to any and every jam session, open mic night, live shows, that he can to NETWORK. And it's paying off. He is making the same amount of money he did in his real job, but on a cash basis. He's filling in and subbing, or doing one show performances, etc. But the trick is, he said, is to GET OUT THERE AND NETWORK AND PLAY ALL YOU CAN!

Sorry this is long-winded, but I hope it helps.

Another thing I should add....

Set yourself up for the next move. Most of my lack of success is based on making a decision to do something SAFE rather than the risky move that might have defined me as a drummer and musician.

Also, the whole music business is in flux right now. The whole "get a band together and be the next RUSH" thing is dying. Be prepared to spend time and money making something that will amount to little more than a "business card" for your efforts. Frustrating? Yes, but at least you will have the goods to sell what you are doing to others who have the business part all wrapped up.

So true. The rock band I'm in now just got the nod to audtion for a rotating weeked slot at a well-known venue in the area. The owner told us that we play exactly the type of music they are looking for and want to put us on the stage that pays the most.

And the bar and grill we rehearse at told us yesterday that anytime we desire to put on a show, just call and schedule it, they'll make the arrangements and give us the door, plus a percentage of the bar. So things are falling into place, BUT defiinately you have to understand the BUSINESS side in order for the music part to happen.

Didn't one famous perfermer say that without the BUSINESS part, there wouldn't be a SHOW?

Back