Unexpected source of inspiration

Drumlove65

I was watching a documentary yesterday on a Russian ballet company. While a good portion of the documentary concerned the inside politics of the ballet company what impressed me was the physical discipline and determination each dancer must endure to become a member of the company.

I'm certain successful drummers must perform under all manner of impediments, physical and mental but those dancers truly give meaning by their dedicated example to the dictum, 'the show must go on'.

My ex wife was a ballet dancer, went to the Royal Ballet School for two years before being injured out. Its a brutal way to earn a living, but beautiful to watch. They are real athletes.

My girls both went to ballet lessons from a young age, and gave it up when other interests came along. All girls should do some ballet when young, it teaches deportment and a sense of discipline. You can tell women who did ballet, they carry themselves with natural grace. Nowt to do with drumming though.

I think there are analogies to drumming; we're taught to hold the sticks in a certain way whether traditional or matched; to execute successful rudiments there are formalized methods for hitting the drum, making certain the wrists are turned at just the right angle; our posture and on and on. I'm interested to read what other drummers have to say about the 'performance' aspect of playing in a live setting.

I think there are analogies to drumming; we're taught to hold the sticks in a certain way whether traditional or matched; to execute successful rudiments there are formalized methods for hitting the drum, making certain the wrists are turned at just the right angle; our posture and on and on. I'm interested to read what other drummers have to say about the 'performance' aspect of playing in a live setting.

I think from the time when you first begin to play any musical instrument, including drums, it takes a long time (several years) to feel comfortable playing in a live setting. Do you remember how it felt to play at your first recital? Total fear. So much so that it almost keeps you from playing. I remember watching some people totally fail their first few times because of the fear.

I remember when I first started playing drums live with a band (at age 11). All of the things I learned to do when I play were rolling around in my head; how to hold the sticks, proper technique, keeping time with the bass drum and hi hat, etc. Worrying about my technique and/or dropping a stick was so intense I could hardly concentrate on playing the song. After a few times it got easier. But still even after a couple of years playing live, the fear of making a mistake was still there. As I said it takes several years to feel comfortable.

Now 56 years later I never give it a thought, except, I still marvel at the ability and talent I have. Before each performance I sit behind the drums thinking; how is it that I can play the drums without practicing and without thinking about what I’m doing? Will I be able to play tonight? Why does it happen so automatically?

You can tell women who did ballet, they carry themselves with natural grace.

in a general sense... I've always found that people that study any physical art will generally carry themselves in a much different manner than someone that has not. It doesn't matter whether it's Tai chi, ballet, skateboarding, breakdancing, tumbling, figure-skating, etc, it's all just different flavors of the same ole ice-cream.

I feel the same about the applied martial arts.. When you see see two humans fight, and only one of them has 'any' form of MA training, the difference is ridiculously apparent.

I saw a presentation of the Takio Drummers , from Japan, here once and they are members of the troop for 2 years before they ever see a stage. If they earn the two year stay. I magine a 2 year audition to play drums.

I think from the time when you first begin to play any musical instrument, including drums, it takes a long time (several years) to feel comfortable playing in a live setting. Do you remember how it felt to play at your first recital? Total fear. So much so that it almost keeps you from playing. I remember watching some people totally fail their first few times because of the fear.

I remember when I first started playing drums live with a band (at age 11). All of the things I learned to do when I play were rolling around in my head; how to hold the sticks, proper technique, keeping time with the bass drum and hi hat, etc. Worrying about my technique and/or dropping a stick was so intense I could hardly concentrate on playing the song. After a few times it got easier. But still even after a couple of years playing live, the fear of making a mistake was still there. As I said it takes several years to feel comfortable.

Now 56 years later I never give it a thought, except, I still marvel at the ability and talent I have. Before each performance I sit behind the drums thinking; how is it that I can play the drums without practicing and without thinking about what I’m doing? Will I be able to play tonight? Why does it happen so automatically?

I was completely different,everything felt natural and easy probably because I never had a lesson so I played naturally and everything felt easy and exciting. I never had that feeling that I should be doing this, or that, or I should be holding the sticks like that.

Back