Modern Drummer Festival Lately?

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
What is up with the Modern Drummer Festival these days?
Has there been a festival since the latest DVD release 2011? They haven't released
any DVD at least since then, have they?

Lately I've been revisiting the 2008 DVD, and I'm especially enjoying the interviews
actually!! I mean, could it be any better than one great drummer interviewing another?
I hope they will do this again on the next DVD!!! Love listening to Ndugu with Will,
or Simon with Gavin, etc!

I was at the one in 2011 (as well as the first few ever). It originally was an annual event, but it seems that it skips a few years every now and then. Maybe it's the economy?

Jeff

I suspect it's a mix of the economy, the death of Ron Spagnardi taking the wind out of the sails, and youtube.

For many people, the MD fest and the resulting DVD's were on of the only ways to see many of these drummers. Now with youtube, you don't need the DVD, you can look up 100 clips online of the same people. Without strong DVD sales, the financial incentives are lessened.

Over saturation may be part of it too. One can only buy so many DVDs of drum solos.

I noticed that they've scaled way, way back from the epic 2006 event. The mag has gotten thinner and seems to have more ads than ever, too. Has to be economic. I've never been to a NAMM show...do they also seem to be scaling back a bit? It seems like there are more drum and cymbal makers than ever.

I can't help but wonder what will happen to MD magazine in the future. It seems that they have built there business model on advertising to cover the cost of production to the point where content is diminishing (hence the thinner editions). Once content is virtually nil, who will spend six bucks at the newsstand for a copy of all the latest advertisements?

I think it may be a combination of "the economy" as well as a lack of content that is causing the MD Festivals to be seen less often than before. Just my opinion.

I know this is an old post, but I have been wondering about the great MD festivals too. I have been to many of them and have a bunch of the DVDs.

I would love to go to another one.

I hope Modern Drummer decides to do another soon.

I would like to see:

Jo Jo Mayer
Zach Danziger
Chris Coleman
Steve Jodan
Denis Chambers
Sterling Campbell

Just bumping this, just in case anyone else has enjoyed these festivals. I'm pretty sure I own all the DVDs.

Back