Dream Stealers and Drummers

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Dream Stealers and Drummers
by Scott K Fish

Something inside us, often when we're very young kids, tells us, "Play drums!" We know at that moment what we're supposed to do in life. We may not know if we'll be performers, teachers, inventors, manufacturers. But we know, beyond a doubt, one reason we're on Earth is to play drums.

And then -- WHAM! The whole world, it seems, conspires against us. In a world where so many people go through life without any direction, it would make sense for our families and friends to celebrate our finding a goal. A positive goal about which we're passionate. Committed!

But, no. The Dream Stealer's negatives start early: "Drums are too loud." "You can't make a living playing drums." "Drums are okay as a hobby, but you need to think about what you're going to do for a living." Blah, blah, blah.

Some drummers are blessed with the opposite life experience. They really do have the support and encouragement of family and friends.

For those drummers who didn't or who don't have that life experience, I have two books which should be of immeasurable help. The books are not written specifically about drumming and drummers. But author Steven Pressfield, drawing from his own life struggles as a writer, offers words of wisdom that can help any drummer feeling as if they are about to drown swimming against the tide.

For what it's worth, Mr. Pressfield's two books not long ago helped pull me through tough times. I still enjoy revisiting these books. In fact, I was listening to "Do The Work" on the way to the post office this morning. That's when I realized it made sense for me to share these books with Life Beyond the Cymbals readers.

Again, Mr. Pressfield's books are written primarily to an audience of writers. But as a writer and a drummer, I promise these books are helpful to just drummers.

The book descriptions are Mr. Pressfield’s descriptions. I agree with them.

The Art of War

pressfield_war_of_art.jpg

What keeps so many of us from doing what we long to do? Why is there a naysayer within? How can we avoid the roadblocks of any creative endeavor—be it starting up a dream business venture, writing a novel, or painting a masterpiece?

The War of Art identifies the enemy that every one of us must face, outlines a battle plan to conquer this internal foe, then pinpoints just how to achieve the greatest success.

The War of Art emphasizes the resolve needed to recognize and overcome the obstacles of ambition and then effectively shows how to reach the highest level of creative discipline. Think of it as tough love . . . for yourself.

Do The Work

pressfield_do_the_work.jpg

Do The Work isn't so much a follow-up to The War of Art as it is an action guide that gets down and dirty in the trenches. Say you've got a book, a screenplay or a startup in your head but you're stuck or scared or just don't know how to begin, how to break through or how to finish. Do The Work takes you step-by-step from the project's inception to its ship date, hitting each predictable 'Resistance point' along the way and giving techniques and drills for overcoming each obstacle.

There's even a section called 'Belly of the Beast' that goes into detail about dealing with the inevitable moment in any artistic or entrepreneurial venture when you hit the wall and just want to cry 'HELP!'

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

"What stops us doing what we want to do"? Life gets in the way, often. My own experience being an example.

I was tapping on everthing, back in the early 60s, from about the age of about 6 or 7. By about 10 my dad, a carpenter, made me a pair of stick so I could dump my mothers kniting needles. I played on pots and pans and even got to play a boys kit in his garage once, but a kit was out of the question for me.

We lived in a semi detached house so noise would have been a big issue.

Cost was another issue. At 10, 11 years old I did not have the hundreds of pounds to spend, and neither did my parents, money was tight.

Also how would I transport them to practices etc? not being old enough to have a car, not that anyone I knew could afford transport. My dad had use of the works van but by the time he was home from work he was tired and I would not have dreampt of asking him to empty the van to ferry me all over the place.

I bought a guitar at 14, with my paper round money, as it was easy to walk or get the bus to a mates house. With a drum kit? no chance.

No, I was not prevented from playing by anyone, merely circumstances and finances.

I know times have changed greatly and kids get bought kits by parents, and two car households mean transport is not realy an issue, but back in the day it was not like that. Good luck to kids now I say, but cos it was so difficult I have been playing drums for over 40 years now cos I remember how difficult it was to get my first kit.

I'll bet many of us old heads can relate to Mikel's story. While my parents were supportive of my drumming and bought my first drum set, our big obstacle was geographical. We lived far, far in the country, and access to instructors or fellow musicians were ZERO. At least until I was old enough to have a car. The easy access to gear, instructors, and fellow musicians via the internet is a huge blessing to aspiring musicians, and we can see those fruits every day in even young drummers who can really blaze across a kit.

GeeDeeEmm

Back