Introductions

BamBam

I thought I'd go ahead and make a new thread to introduce myself and seek some earnestly desired advice.

I'm Abram. I'm a middle-aged guy who's played the tambourine for years but is totally new to drumming. I'm fulfilling a lifelong dream by trying to learn at 50.

When I was a kid my Jewish mom wanted me to play clarinet, an instrument whose sound I liked but was neither good at playing or inspired to learn. Buddy Rich inspired me more than Benny Goodman.

Currently, I own a very inexpensive four-piece set my wife got for me at a thrift store. What I have consists of a black "Rockwood" by Hohner kit that includes a single bass, two mounted toms and a floor tom. It came with a bass pedal. I think she spent $35 for the whole thing. I went to a drum store and bought new heads for the toms, two sets of sticks, a practice pad, and a cheap throne. I realize now I need a better throne and bass pedal. I also need to invest in a hi-hat, ride, and crash for a beginner's set of cymbals.

I bought a concert snare and its stand, a chrome CB model # 222553, separately from an ad and this cost me $45. This is all the gear I have at the moment.

Now to the main event...I've got (drum roll please...) a lot of initial questions but will try to boil them down to some basic stuff...

Shells: When the term "shell pack" is used does this refer to the shells of the various drums? What's the difference, other than cost, in the type of wood used for the shells on the sound? Birch vs. Maple or whatever... What type of wood is more costly and why?

Snares: There are just gobs of snares out there. So many makes and sizes. What are some of the basic differences about them in terms of sound? I already see that hardware elements differ in type and quality, affecting price. What's the difference between a piccolo snare and others? I see some snares that look like a tom. Do they produce a different sound than a piccolo? Is the tone deeper? Is selecting one a matter of just what one likes in terms of sound, brand loyalty, or ?

Brands: I realize people have loyalties to specific brands based on knowledge and experience, but what brands should I be considering for a rock/metal sound ? Tama, Ludwig, Pearl, DW? Something I've not mentioned or heard of? When people mention "Bonham" are they referring to John Bonham but when it comes to drums they call "Bonham" they're talking about sizes or brands he preferred? Just a curiosity question.

Cost: How about cost considerations for a better entry-level kit then the one I have now? I'd like a better kit, one that has six pieces (single bass, two floor toms, two mounted, and snare). Can I buy a set in the $500-$1000 range that would serve my turn nicely? Should I go new or used? In used should I accept an "excellent" designation of quality only or is "great" or "good" enough? Should I go for Guitar Center, Craigslist or Ebay?

Technique: How does one know whether they play bass better with their left or right foot? I am right-handed. Matched vs Traditional grip: I like playing traditional grip but is this technique equally good for rock/metal styles as well as jazz?

Time-keeping: Is there a relatively inexpensive gadget I could buy to assist me with timekeeping?

Practice regimen: Are there routines one can learn to practice different skills? How does one find them?

Any and all responses to these inquiries are deeply appreciated. Thanks for reading my diatribe and keep on drumming! Bam Bam!

Welcome to the group Abram. You seem to have a good deal of information already. I will add a bit but encourage you to do searches as many of the questions you posed are (or have been) discussed frequently. My first advice is to speak to a couple of instructors who can give you direction with a genre or styles you want to study.

Next I would advise using the drums your wife bought you. At least until you "out grow" them. Shell pack refers to a drum kit without hardware or accessories. "Shells" means drums. Six-piece shell pack = 6 drum kit.

Snares are relatively personal so find a big-box store or local drum store that sells many snares, pick a price point and (when you need a new one) buy one you like the sound of.

Play from the side of the kit that feels most natural. You can buy a lot of drum kit used for $1,000 so be patient - and when your instructor believes you are in need of/ and ready for a nicer kit - search used kits in local stores and Craigslist. Different sized snares have different tones. Again, pick on that you like the sound of - when you need a different snare.

The inexpensive time-keeping device you seek is a metronome. There are many books on rudiments and your instructor, when you choose one, will get you through the learning curve for them.

Good luck.

I thought I'd go ahead and make a new thread to introduce myself and seek some earnestly desired advice.

I'm Abram. I'm a middle-aged guy who's played the tambourine for years but is totally new to drumming. I'm fulfilling a lifelong dream by trying to learn at 50.

When I was a kid my Jewish mom wanted me to play clarinet, an instrument whose sound I liked but was neither good at playing or inspired to learn. Buddy Rich inspired me more than Benny Goodman.

Currently, I own a very inexpensive four-piece set my wife got for me at a thrift store. What I have consists of a black "Rockwood" by Hohner kit that includes a single bass, two mounted toms and a floor tom. It came with a bass pedal. I think she spent $35 for the whole thing. I went to a drum store and bought new heads for the toms, two sets of sticks, a practice pad, and a cheap throne. I realize now I need a better throne and bass pedal. I also need to invest in a hi-hat, ride, and crash for a beginner's set of cymbals.

I bought a concert snare and its stand, a chrome CB model # 222553, separately from an ad and this cost me $45. This is all the gear I have at the moment.

Now to the main event...I've got (drum roll please...) a lot of initial questions but will try to boil them down to some basic stuff...

Shells: When the term "shell pack" is used does this refer to the shells of the various drums? What's the difference, other than cost, in the type of wood used for the shells on the sound? Birch vs. Maple or whatever... What type of wood is more costly and why?

Snares: There are just gobs of snares out there. So many makes and sizes. What are some of the basic differences about them in terms of sound? I already see that hardware elements differ in type and quality, affecting price. What's the difference between a piccolo snare and others? I see some snares that look like a tom. Do they produce a different sound than a piccolo? Is the tone deeper? Is selecting one a matter of just what one likes in terms of sound, brand loyalty, or ?

Brands: I realize people have loyalties to specific brands based on knowledge and experience, but what brands should I be considering for a rock/metal sound ? Tama, Ludwig, Pearl, DW? Something I've not mentioned or heard of? When people mention "Bonham" are they referring to John Bonham but when it comes to drums they call "Bonham" they're talking about sizes or brands he preferred? Just a curiosity question.

Cost: How about cost considerations for a better entry-level kit then the one I have now? I'd like a better kit, one that has six pieces (single bass, two floor toms, two mounted, and snare). Can I buy a set in the $500-$1000 range that would serve my turn nicely? Should I go new or used? In used should I accept an "excellent" designation of quality only or is "great" or "good" enough? Should I go for Guitar Center, Craigslist or Ebay?

Technique: How does one know whether they play bass better with their left or right foot? I am right-handed. Matched vs Traditional grip: I like playing traditional grip but is this technique equally good for rock/metal styles as well as jazz?

Time-keeping: Is there a relatively inexpensive gadget I could buy to assist me with timekeeping?

Practice regimen: Are there routines one can learn to practice different skills? How does one find them?

Any and all responses to these inquiries are deeply appreciated. Thanks for reading my diatribe and keep on drumming! Bam Bam!

Back