I dont get it ( everybody else does, it seems )

aydee

Platinum Member

Hello everyone! Its been awhile!

So I go this club which showcases live music, 3 days a week. The club owner is a friend. I happen to be in town, so I mosey down for a couple of beers and a hang.

He tells me there's this band with a great singer who's going to perform tonight. I consider myself lucky to have shown up on a good night.

I'm early and the band comes in for a sound check. Its a rock n roll/blues band, nothing too grungy or complicated or anything.

The singer, who appears to be a real prima donna is fussing about the mic, levels, reverb etc etc... Im almost impressed. As the band gets going on the sound check, I discover to my surprise that the singer is off-pitch......Wayyyyy off pitch.
I turn in shock towards the club owner who is sitting with me. To my surprise, he has a benign smile on his face and seems to be enjoying the proceedings. Im saying to myself that this cant be right because she cant sing... maybe shes a roadie, checking levels or something.

But its her alright. The club is pretty full an hour later and the band kicks in and sure enough, she's singing off pitch. I look around me and the crowd is loving it. The club owner sidles up to me and whispers " isnt she fantastic?"

For the sake of clarity, Im old but not that old, some tinnitis and hearing loss but not deaf, some substance abuse in my youth, but I was down just 2 beers that night.

I dont get it.

Is it me or does bad music not matter in some places, to some people?

Hi stranger!

First thoughts are does she look good? Does she put on a show? Did the audience find the lyrics engaging? These things seem to matter more to punters than what they hear.

Now that is unusual. Of all the things that an audience notice, out of pitch vocals is top of the list. Ok, overall band vibe can trump even bad pitching, & mask to a certain degree, but it's still a performance killer.

Well, attractive enough I guess, but not " my sexual power will numb your senses into believing that my Bflat is actually A" attractive. On second thoughts, lyrics were kind of interesting.. word association type abstract stuff.. but a bad note is a bad note, y'all.

Today I was watching this:
"Yoko Ono Screaming Song Live at Art Show!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdZ9weP5i68
and this:
"WE'RE ALL WATER by Yoko Ono"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfZvHuh7wKM

Listen to all the clapping an cheering, some people, for whatever reason seem to really like it, the ones that don't usually keep it to themselves and others pretend that they do like it (unless it's the internet).

I thought the first performance was interesting for a while, but then she didn't know where to take it and just held it down and played safe. I've seen voice noise artists take it a whole lot further.

The second link, well, the only reason a band like that would go near a vocalist like that is a big name and big money.

So Abe, the lyrics were interesting ... and delivered with passion and conviction (even if flat)?

I wonder if the band held auditions for the vocalist?

First one turns up, great voice, Band say "sorry you have not got the gig, you were in key.....all the time".

Unless of course Its her band and her PA.

I don't see anything too way out. Concrete dadaist art has been around for a long time now. I've seen a guy fiddling with a radio noise gizmo while blowing a sax filled with water. Not my thing but some people enjoy it.

The second clip was ... disappointing lol

ALP- "some substance abuse when I was younger and tinnitis"

Is this something that actually needs to be said here? I thought that was a prerequisite on the entrance exam... We need a thread on this..

I dont get it...

Me either... but, as it is said "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"... music is an art form, and everything and anything is possible within that respect.

In music we also have the sound to cope with the visuals, and it can be somehow "surprising" to say the least, have you ever been to a modern art gallery? Surely, if some of the paintings could "sing", I think it will be waayy out of key and very dissonant :))

Sounds like an episode of "The Twilight Zone".

Well, attractive enough I guess, but not " my sexual power will numb your senses into believing that my Bflat is actually A" attractive.

One of the best descriptions of a sexy woman I've ever heard! I want to be her...lol. Except I would numb you into thinking I was actually a drummer who could make you believe a simple rock beat sounded like a Gene Krupa tom solo :)

Easy answer - the people filling up the club must have been her friends and/or friends of the band. Family & friends often are tone deaf, if you know what I mean.

p.s. This doesn't explain Celine Dion's rise to popularity though :(

Did anyone ever stop listening to Bob Dyland because of his voice or lack thereof? Or Johnny Cash, or Doctor John.? Sometimes it just doesn't matter

I'm not surprised, our guitarist sounds like he is playing with boxing gloves on. Due to his lack of skill on the guitar when he learns a song if he does not know the coreect chord he will find one that sounds close. Been that way for years and we work 120 gigs a year avereage. This past year we added a real guitarist and replaced our bass player with a Berkelee professor so now we at least sound like a real band but some of the old tunes are still played wrong. The audience could care less. It's only Rock & Roll

Back