CUTTING HANDS ON RIMS

J5TRONG

I'm finding that I cut my hands from hitting them on the drum rims. It usually occurs on my knuckles from the floor tom when I accidently make contact whille striking the drum. Just wondeing, does this ever happen to you? thanks for your feedback.

I would try repositioning the drums. If you are hitting the middle of the floor tom, guessing 16 inches in diameter, with a typical stick, 16 inches long, your hands should be 8 inches away from the rims. Give or take a few. If you are doing this with any other drums they need to be moved.

Interesting math, where are you holding the sticks? =) If you are holding them 2/3rds of the way back like my buddy keeps trying to remind me (I'm one of those folks who holds them way back) then your knuckle is pretty close to the rim. Typically, I think there's usually 2-3 inches of clearance though.

yeah those are good ideas. but i'm looking for responses from people whom that its actually happened to. just wondering if its a common occurence or if its just something thats happening to me.

Yes. I have twice, in recent years, busted the main knuckle on my left forefinger from getting it in between the stick and the rim of the snare. Made it bleed, took a little skin off the top, and hopefully haven't done more damage than that. We'll say it's from show-adrenalin and just a micro-loss of control. Much the same of hitting yourself in the ear, or nose.

There is an interesting vid of Don Fomularo taking his own eye glasses off in the middle of a solo. It happens.

I think though, this last time, I might have messed up my finger cause now it hurts to where I'm inquiring with a doc. Hopefully your injury hasn't slowed you up.

Yep, done it....a few times actually. I've also hit myself in the face with the stick on several occasions. Foolish yes, but I see it as just one of those things.

If it was happening all the time, I'd look at repositioning or adjusting either myself or the drum, but if it's infrequent then I'd just put it down to the 'heat of the moment' type situation and call them "battle scars".

Interesting math, where are you holding the sticks? =) If you are holding them 2/3rds of the way back like my buddy keeps trying to remind me (I'm one of those folks who holds them way back) then your knuckle is pretty close to the rim. Typically, I think there's usually 2-3 inches of clearance though.

I was merely using round numbers of common drum objects, not submitting my thesis for the Nobel prize in physics. I think the OP gets the idea.

I was merely using round numbers of common drum objects, not submitting my thesis for the Nobel prize in physics. I think the OP gets the idea.

rofl....I needed that, it's friday and I'm tired.

I think we have ALL busted our knuckles at one time or another. Well, at least most of us.

Suggestions:

1. move your toms

2. if setting drums back up from a gig or moving them, put them exactly in the same place as before. Put markers on the carpet under the feet of your hardware. If nothing else it will help you from dropping sticks and possibly busting a finger again.

Aside from strategic positioning of the tom to help avoid this issue, I also slant my floor tom a slight bit lower on my side. A half inch if slant still allows for easy rim shots but it makes a big difference in helping to avoid knuckle strikes on the rim.

Now if I could only stop hitting the edge of my Hi-Hats when reaching for my rack tom.
Man do I hate when that happens!

It is common when you haven't quite developed the control to move your hands very accurately all the time. I used to hit unspeakable things when I started out...

It is common when you haven't quite developed the control to move your hands very accurately all the time. I used to hit unspeakable things when I started out...

That is funny! ^

Yep. Hand control. If it helps, find where the drums are comfortable, then practice going around the kit....slow at first. It helps build muscle memory

Back