Gregg Bisonette Clinic

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Attended a drum clinic locally last night with Gregg and had a ball. He plays/answered questions, etc for almost 2 hours. He had three of four youth from the audience up to play along with him. They had three or four 8 - 12 years old they did great. Dixon Drums, his sponsor has changed their logo, pictured here. The letters DIXON stacked on top of each other. Niot sure about that but anyway. The good news, at the end of the evening a drawing was held for a 16 inch Sabian AA X-PLOSION Crash. I was lucky enough to win. Beautiful cymbal. I was very happy to be the one out of about 50 people attending to win the cymbal. I had Gregg sign it on the bottom and it will go on my set to play.

Attachments

• IMG_5735.JPG
    IMG_5735.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_5736.JPG
    IMG_5736.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_5737.JPG
    IMG_5737.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_5741.JPG
    IMG_5741.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Sounds like a good evening indeed and congrats on the win! Lady Luck was looking at you indeed.

Not sure about that Dixon logo.

I’ve always liked watching videos of him playing and interviewing. He always comes across as enthusiastic and genuinely wanting to engage. Funny, I equate his playing style to someone like Anton Fig...not flashy or chops laden, but a jack of many trades.

I agree! I've seen both Gregg and Anton play every type of rock.country/blues/etc. and kill it every time. Those guy are my kind of drum hero. Same with Kenny Aronoff. He can do a tribute gig or play the Kennedy Center honors and just count off a temp to anything and nail that pocket just perfect! I know there's obviously a lot of skill, practice, and of course confidence but it is still fun to watch! Gregg is just like that too.. "Gregg, are you up for some polka?" "Sure! One two three!! Oompa Oompa Oompa!" " Japanese folk?" "Yeah, man! Ting ting dinka ting ding ding.." "Atonal African throat singing? Just add some touches here and there.." "Sure! Auoauoauoauaoauaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuoooo!" lol.. I bet he could nail that too!!

His big deal last night was “increasing ones vocabulary.” Learn as many types of music as you can , and Gregg can play everything. His humor is fantistic. If you get a chance go see him. Maybe you too can win a cymbal.

I agree! I've seen both Gregg and Anton play every type of rock.country/blues/etc. and kill it every time. Those guy are my kind of drum hero. Same with Kenny Aronoff. He can do a tribute gig or play the Kennedy Center honors and just count off a temp to anything and nail that pocket just perfect! I know there's obviously a lot of skill, practice, and of course confidence but it is still fun to watch! Gregg is just like that too.. "Gregg, are you up for some polka?" "Sure! One two three!! Oompa Oompa Oompa!" " Japanese folk?" "Yeah, man! Ting ting dinka ting ding ding.." "Atonal African throat singing? Just add some touches here and there.." "Sure! Auoauoauoauaoauaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuoooo!" lol.. I bet he could nail that too!!

Yeah, Kenny Aronoff...good call.

That man is a monster player. I attended a clinic of his back in the 80s when he was still playing for the Maynard Ferguson big band and it was incredible then - he gave a handout of of signature licks and beats of his favorites too. He was the nicest guy I've ever met. Later he judged me at a Guitar Center Drum Off in '89 (I think), and although I didn't win anything, he was really cool and commended me on being the only guy who played single bass that day. By then his hair was all poofed out because he was playing with David Lee Roth then. After knowing him as a jazz-fusion-big band guy from North Texas State, it was hard accepting him as a log-haired rocker, you know?

Gregg is not only one of the best drummers in the music world, he is also an exceptional teacher and presenter. Do not miss a chance to attend one of his clinics.

Sounds like an awesome day! Would love to see a clinic with him, love watching his instructional vids on youtube. Seems genunie which is hard to find sometimes with "famous" musicians. Congrats on the cymbal that's icing on the cake for the day

He is so down to earth, just a regular guy, plenty of stories, plenty of Ringo tales. He does as much talking and taking questions as he does playing which is great. If you get the chance, go.

I went to see Gregg at one of his clinic in 1989 in Toronto. I remember he had two drum kits, his usual set and a similar kit set-up left handed. He did a great lesson explain that you should experiment with playing left handed so it improves your weaker side.

Was an amazing experience and I was blown away with his knowledge and prowess behind the kit. This was 30 years ago so I can only imagine he's even better these days. Thanks for sharing!

I saw Gregg in the early 2000s here in Indianapolis in a practice hall. But he played as though he was in an arena.

GREAT player. Gregg is such a musical guy.

And his passion is evident too.

I really wish David Lee Roth would re-tour with the EAT EM AND SMILE band. :D

I saw him at a clinic back in his Mapex days. He can play just about any style, and he is a very nice guy. Peace and goodwill.

I remember a while back at his clinic standing behind him as he played the hihat and bass pedal at the same time by turning his foot while using the other foot as well. In front it looked as though he was playing the hihat and a blazing fast right foot with wicked rhythms.

It did that here. Left foot high hat and bass drum slave pedal while the right foot was cranking on the master pedal

Back