Creative Drum Solo Exercise

haredrums

Silver Member
Hey Guys,

I wanted to share this exercise with you and get some feedback.

http://haredrums.blogspot.com/2012/08/create-arrangement.html

The idea is to make an arrangement of a tune and play it entirely on the drums. I got this idea from Jeff Hamilton, and I have found it to be a surprisingly efficient way of working on developing a solo.

The thing is, in my experience if I try to just play a solo without any musical context it ends up feeling a bit pointless. Sound and fury signifying nothing etc... When I approach the solo as an arrangement of a tune though, it gives me the inspiration and structure to produce something interesting.

Let me know what you guys think.

I loved this! Great job holding the melody line and the time down (especially with your hi hat). Mel Lewis used to follow the same approach and philosophy as well. We all need to "hear" this type of approach. Thanks for posting this. The funny thing is, that even though I appreciated all that you did, I myself do not solo this way because of my influences over the years. (Think Buddy, Louie, etc...) But when i hear this type of approach, it always holds my attention. It's like "What's coming next?"

Kelly

I loved this! Great job holding the melody line and the time down (especially with your hi hat). Mel Lewis used to follow the same approach and philosophy as well. We all need to "hear" this type of approach. Thanks for posting this. The funny thing is, that even though I appreciated all that you did, I myself do not solo this way because of my influences over the years. (Think Buddy, Louie, etc...) But when i hear this type of approach, it always holds my attention. It's like "What's coming next?"

Kelly

Thank you so much!

Absolutely on the Mel thing, although to be honest I haven't checked out his soloing nearly as much as his accompanying (probably my favorite big band drummer). I agree with you about how these solos can hold the attention.

My question for you is, have you ever tried putting something like this together? You might really dig the challenge and the way it will pull you away from some of your regular ideas.

Very cool, but I'm backlogged at the moment, I still have to get to the St. Thomas Syncopation exercises! Jajaja, this is great stuff, can't wait for the book!

Hahaha!

It is funny you should mention the syncopation exercise because the reason I started working on this solo was to take a breather from it! Man, that one is a beast on the bass drum!! I made some recordings but I am not completely happy with my accuracy yet.

Have you tried the second step where you put the bass drum under the groove? It is even nastier. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions and thanks always for your excellent feedback.

Just saw this. Andrew, that is some masterful playing. I think this is my favorite of the stuff you've put up. And I like all of it, so that's saying something. This is inspiring.

Yep I really enjoyed that. And I enjoy reading your blog too.

Although my playing is a bit undeveloped to tackle a some of the concepts you introduce, I love seeing them in action.

Back