Cool Drumming (The Wrong Kind!)

mikyok

Platinum Member
I have my first outdoor gig of the year tomorrow night and in true English tradition on a bank holiday weekend it's going to be bloody freezing, literally!

Gonna be a whopping 5 degrees celcius or 41 farenheit. Chuck in a nice 20mph northerly wind and it's down to 3 (37.4). Thankfully it's not raining and I don't have to play cricket either :).

All we're gonna have for cover is a gazeebo. Needless to say I'm getting a bit worried about the old pies potentially getting damaged.

Thinking of just taking my 70s mongrel hats, a crash ride and a flask of tea! Any advice happily received.

As cymbals don't contain moisture I'm pretty certain this isn't even slightly risky. My cymbals spend most of their time in an unheated rehearsal room with no ill-effects.

Someone with more of a physics bent can come in on this, but I reckon you'll be fine.

The flask of tea is an absolute must, but take whatever cymbals you like.

I wouldn't play when it is that cold and windy. It's no fun at all. And if the wind speed is about 20 MPH it can blow cymbals over.

There is nothing to worry about cymbal-wise as has been noted. You won't have to take a fan to cool you down, so that's a good thing.

There's plenty to be concerned about if your cymbals hit the ground. Weight and wingnut your stands. The wind is the biggest issue.

There's plenty to be concerned about if your cymbals hit the ground. Weight and wingnut your stands. The wind is the biggest issue.

Didn't think about that. My only gripe about my Dw Ultralight cymbal stands is they blow in windy situations:/

Don't know what kind of sticks you use (I'm assuming wood) but stick breakage might be a problem?

I remember this was the reason Lars switched from Regal Tip 5B's to Ahead sticks after a particularly "cool gig" one night and was just breaking sticks left, right and centre (you probably don't bash as hard however).

Any advice happily received.

Too much thought put into your cymbals. They'll be fine.

Not enough thought put into your choice of drink. Tea does not come in flasks....it comes in pots. Whisk(e)y, however. Well, let's just say that's why the flask was invented.

Too much thought put into your cymbals. They'll be fine.

Not enough thought put into your choice of drink. Tea does not come in flasks....it comes in pots. Whisk(e)y, however. Well, let's just say that's why the flask was invented.

I'm English, we get tea into anything we can find :)

There was a free spirit bar there. Unfortunately the police tend to frown on me driving home trollied!

toddmc said:
Don't know what kind of sticks you use (I'm assuming wood) but stick breakage might be a problem?

I remember this was the reason Lars switched from Regal Tip 5B's to Ahead sticks after a particularly "cool gig" one night and was just breaking sticks left, right and centre (you probably don't bash as hard however).

Sticks were very cold when I came back for the 2nd set. Had a woolly hat on by then and gloves between sets.

The only thing I want that belongs to Lars is his bank balance.

Drumming wise I've never built a shed in my life :p

... I'm getting a bit worried about the old pies potentially getting damaged...

Sad news, the cymbals are going to "outlive you", sorry!

Back