Playing at lessons

S

savage8190

I'm really torn about my lessons. I think my teacher is phenomenal, but he teaches in a pretty tight space and I find it really uncomfortable/pretty much imposaible to play at his student kit. It's obviously more so set up for kids, and I'm a big guy. It's not just that it's too low...I could spend my lesson time moving literally everything, but it also backs on a wall and I feel like I need to be like a foot further back than I can physically go.

Not sure what to do. I think I'll talk to him about it next time...he's already commented on how uncomfortable I look. It would suck to have to stop the lessons but it's kind of pointless if I can't play. Anyone ever had an issue like this?

Yes, I would definitely ask him about this. You're paying him good money and should get what you pay for. Why is his practice space so small?

BTW, what size kit does he use for lessons? If it's a smaller kid's set, that would suck too.

Before I switched over to mikeslessons.com I had an in person instructor. Whom I felt, spoke to me as if I was a kid. Later, I found out, I was his only adult student. Go figure.

Soon after, I stopped taking lessons from him.

Say something to him. I'm sure he'll make something work so you're comfortable playing during your lesson possibly switch kits with you if he's a smaller guy or move some stuff around, as an instructor I try my to make sure every student is not only learning but also comfortable during their lesson but you have to speak up for the instructor to know it's an issue.

Most of my students are children and they're too timid to say something when the throne is too high or the toms aren't where they want them or something similar, I'd gladly show them how to lower the throne or whatever needs adjusting if I knew it was an issue!

Good luck!

Before I switched over to mikeslessons.com I had an in person instructor. Whom I felt, spoke to me as if I was a kid. Later, I found out, I was his only adult student. Go figure.

Soon after, I stopped taking lessons from him.

I have two adult students and 9 or 10 kid students and I've told my adult students that if I ever talk to them like a child or jump around from one thing to another too much to let me know right away, so far they haven't said anything and they keep showing up every week!!

Yes, I would definitely ask him about this. You're paying him good money and should get what you pay for. Why is his practice space so small?

BTW, what size kit does he use for lessons? If it's a smaller kid's set, that would suck too.

From what I understand he used to have a big studio at home but now has a space at a music school...they've crammed him into a small room away from everyone else due to the volume of the drums. I'm sure it's fine for 99% of students, but I'm probably his biggest student. I know he has a couple other adults but I'm taller and wider than them.

It's a smaller kit than mine to be sure, but it's not a kids size. Looks like a standard stage custom but maybe an 18" bass drum?

I deal with this every lesson and rehearsal at the school I go to which is geared for kids but has adult programs too. I feel like a giant, back against the wall with two kits in a tiny room facing each other. I've been very clear with my instructor about the uncomfortable setup. He will alter the kit sometimes when he has time other times the first thing I do when I come in is grab a drum key and move things around to my liking. Usually chat about progress and what's been going on with drumming those first couple minutes during setup.

I would definitely convey your concern about wasting your time. Maybe he could help change the setup before your lesson.

I took lessons with an instructor that had an old kit, with old hardware, in an uncomfortable position - everything - and honestly I just couldn't get along with it. The problem became two-fold - I was nervous/excited/embarrassed and couldn't play in front of them, and secondly the kit was almost impossible to adjust to and play.

Looking back, I'm glad for that because it showed me how weak of a player I was. Very humbling actually.

Back