I was told I don't play loud enough...

DrumsOfGrohl

I'm in a 7 piece folk-rock band, and I was told by our band leader that If there was something I could improve on, its to play louder. First of all, I took this as a compliment, because most drummers have the opposite problem. I'm definitely not a "basher," but I do know how to wail on my drums when the music calls for it.

My problem is that I find that when I play at louder volumes, I lose some of the bounce I normally get from the stick. Its way more difficult to play doubles (or diddles) because I start using my wrist and arm a lot more than my fingers.

I tried using bigger sticks (I normally use 5As, but I upped to 5Bs) and I still lose a ton of bounce, and therefore lose a lot of the finesse.

I'm thinking I can maybe tighten my drum heads and see if they wont give me a little more bounce.

Am I the only one with this issue? What else can I do to get the loud volume, without compromising speed?

Any advice is very welcome ;)

Hmmm...... it's a very strange band leader comment, in a folk style band - generally quieter open spaces music.
Is everybody amplified? I'm guessing that all other 6 instruments (a lot) are likely playing too loud in the practice space, or gig, and/or taking up much sonic space, thus band leader can't hear you #7.
Some people who don't play drums don't appreciate they top out in volume, especially in the sonic competition of 6 other amplified instruments.
Has everybody else ever turned down?
Alos I don't associate much 'drumming speed' in majority of folk rock.

Tuning may be an issue. Heads that are barely tensioned don't carry well in an unmic'd situation, and a hard beater on the kick delivers more attack than felt. Clear heads have a bit more attack than coated, and playing some rim on the snare - even in a seemingly quietish situation - conveys volume and energy.

It's also possible you may need to be mic'd in order to compete with everyone else's amplification (good luck getting them to turn down for you!)

Bermuda

I'd record the band and listen back. Then you can hear for yourself what needs to be done. That shows you in no uncertain terms how the others perceive you.

His was a very general comment. It could mean anything from your snare needs to be louder, to your kick needs to be louder, to your tuning needs to be less mushy, to the whole kit volume needs to be louder. Hearing yourself play is crucial to evaluate your inner kit dynamics and your overall volume level.

Just get the recorder like 15 feet away from all the instruments so it doesn't favor one over another, to get a representative capture. Drummers have the hardest time blending the volume, because you have to physically play softer or louder. Easier said than done.

Musicians need a set of ears in the audience to reconcile what is perceived onstage... to what the total resolved sound of the band actually is. Listening to gig recordings is IMO essential for any musician who is serious about improving themselves, regardless of instrument. Also IMO one of the fastest ways to improve yourself... from the others POV. You hear you as they hear you. You hear what your drums and your tunings actually sound like to the audience, you hear your meter, you hear the tempo, you hear your dynamics or lack of them, you hear if you blend, overpower, or in your case under power possibly...it's all in there. Required listening.

+1 Larry. Make a Zoom recording of your next gig. Place the recorder with a friend in the audience about 10' or more from the band.
The recording will tell you what parts of your kit aren't being heard.
Correct from there.

+1 Larry. Make a Zoom recording of your next gig. Place the recorder with a friend in the audience about 10' or more from the band.
The recording will tell you what parts of your kit aren't being heard.
Correct from there.

Video recording is great, you can see if and when there is tension, and a lot of other nuances you won't get with an audio only recording. Videos are problematic for me, getting a clear shot that people don't block or knock over the video recorder is hard. Audio recorders are a lot easier in that respect, much more discreet.

Video recording is great, you can see if and when there is tension, and a lot of other nuances you won't get with an audio only recording. Videos are problematic for me, getting a clear shot that people don't block or knock over the video recorder is hard. Audio recorders are a lot easier in that respect, much more discreet.
You can set a Zoom to just record audio. I used Zoom as a generic term. The video does help though.
What I expect that you will find is that the guitar players are each turing up their volume in and effort to compete with each other as the night progresses. They aren't doing it on purpose. One turns up for a lead and the other turns up... and so on... so on... so on... Before you know it you are hitting your drums as hard as you can to keep up with them..

I was recently watching a Zoom video of a gig to see if I could learn what to improve, and was pretty stunned to see almost all my tricksy cymbal work and Tom flurries were simply drowned out by the guitars. Kit wasn't mic'd except kick. I'd already moved up from 7A's to 5A's to get more volume (trading some speed for that volume), but it wasn't enough. I'm now virtually at 2B level. The sticks now do some of the work so I don't have to hit quite so hard, and while I've lost some speed...could anyone even hear it anyway? My playing feels crude now, but for a few gigs I'm going to try be simpler and more stompy.

So, maybe the band leader is after a simple hard backbeat, without all the flashy stuff? Just a guess, I could be wildly off track :)

There are a few alternatives that I can see.

1: keep playing how you play
2: practice with the same intensity that's required in your band setting and hopefully you'll get comfortable playing louder
3: maybe your technique is letting you down

As you say it's better to be too quiet than it is to be too loud. I've been told the same thing.

In addition to everything else,

Head selection, age of heads and muffling might be a factor.

Old pinstripe heads with duct tape on them aren't going to be very loud.

The same drum with a fresh set of clear ends will resonate more, which will give the perception of cutting through the mix of instruments better.

Unless you've been criticized about something other than your volume - I would mic the kit. Sounds like it's time. With a 7-piece band you're likely to need mic's anyway. Leave your kit the same (unless you want a different feel or sound) and adjust your new mic pack to the necessary level.

Back