Using a 16 x 14 floor tom as bass drum

bristolDRUMlessons

Hi all,

Quick question. Has anybody used a 16 x 14 floor tom as a bass drum? And if yes, how did it sound?

Initially I was after a 16 x 16 but the perfect drum has turned up on ebay and its 16 x 14. So I'm interested in your feedback before I buy!

Many thanks in advance,
Gavin

I think that is getting too small. I have an 18 x 16 and I had a 16 x 16 and it was OK. I would try to hear it before I paid for it.

I think a lot would depend on the bearing edge. With the Indian frame drum, the Kanjira, it has a sharp bearing edge allowing this tiny drum to be tuned to a deep pitch. I should think the same would be true of a tom with the dimensions you're thinking of (sharp edge would allow slacker head/lower pitch?)

I'd love to use a floor tom with a cocktail-style pedal. Or perhaps an extra long beater could be bent out of shape to hit upwards?

I use a 16x16, but don't see any reason why the smaller size wouldn't work. I found that using an unconventional head - I use an Evans hydraulic, it really helps with the bottom end.

I've used a 16 X 14, and a 14 dia. X 16 dpth. Both worked for what I was using them for, which was mainly band practice. I used the 16 dia x 14 dpth at a gig once but it was mic'ed.

I have a friend who took an the original Pearl Session's (maple kit) and made his 16x14 floor into a kick. It sounded good. He had no front head and muffled with a blanket. I always say the smaller the kick the less muffle is needed because it is more condensed and concentrated. Mainly it depends on what your going for. A lot of echo or a one hit kind of thud. In that case it really just depends on head preference, porting and muffling. But the one described above was a one hit thud kind of kick. He had a Remo PS3 on it.

Back