Worst drum kit in the history of mankind...

Yeah, yeah. It's truly a chore having to negotiate your way around a different SM58 every night. That's one tricky piece of equipment.

Hahaha.. Yeah I didn't really mean it like that. I've seen some mics that straight up STANK, I wouldn't like to have my face anywhere near those.

Probably wise to bring your own

Sean, our guitarist, busted a string about a minute in, raised his hand to stop and re-string.......and needless to say there was absolutely no way on earth that THAT song was stopping at that point....not while I had a living breath in my body....so he played on, poorly, with 5 strings....and we had a great laugh about it all in the van home after :)

Excellent opportunism, Squad!

If you're playing a gig with the hope of maybe getting further work from it, being forced to use a pile of crap kit will not help your band sound good. The punters say you were crap, the owner of the bar thinks you were crap, potential further gigs are not forthcoming because the word has gone round to other venues that you were crap...
...all because you were given crap tools to do the job with.
Why accept a situation that may affect your bands' prospects for future work?
that's why they hoisted me on their shoulders and said, "dude, you're the best drummer ever!" it was an horrible solo, but they sure loved it. embrace it! the band had no idea the guy's kit was a pile. adjust your playing to fit the mutated configuration/sound of this abomination you're playing. if it's a really important gig, yeah, i'll use my drums. i mean, REALLY important. if not, they can tell if you're good.

I'm loving this thread... Reminds me of my own self-contained irony - I put in endless effort to make my Tamas sing as much as possible, AAX cymbals (my preference), racks/stands placing my cymbals within 1/4" tolerances, toms with 1/2" separation, etc... And I, too, sometimes use the house kit, bring my pedals and sticks, and bang away.

However, these places make their crappy house kits sometimes make them sound REALLY good (simply because of the time spent on mixing/mic'ing, etc...). What we hear and what others hear are often 2 vastly different things. Often, when asked to play the house kit, I'll ask for them to do a sound check for me (instead of the other way around) with me at FOH.

I'm loving this thread... Reminds me of my own self-contained irony - I put in endless effort to make my Tamas sing as much as possible, AAX cymbals (my preference), racks/stands placing my cymbals within 1/4" tolerances, toms with 1/2" separation, etc... And I, too, sometimes use the house kit, bring my pedals and sticks, and bang away.

However, these places make their crappy house kits sometimes make them sound REALLY good (simply because of the time spent on mixing/mic'ing, etc...). What we hear and what others hear are often 2 vastly different things. Often, when asked to play the house kit, I'll ask for them to do a sound check for me (instead of the other way around) with me at FOH.
so true! i sat in on a kit that sounded like mud. the ambient sound, and the feel, were awful, and this kit belonged to the headline act, a fairly big name (i won't mention it, because their drummer may be a member here). out front, the kit was absolutely thunderous. it was tuned to be mic'd only!

Great horror stories!!

Played on the headliner's kit once at a small bar in Dallas when a band I was in was just getting started. They put us on the bill with them because somebody in our band was good friends with someone in their band. Their drummer's kit was a really nice Pearl in Tobacco Fade. Our time to play came and boy, was I surprised at the quality of his heads. Duck tape and masking tape on everything.

The second song into our 45 minute set, the floor tom head splits in two. So I'm thinking I need to pay for the darn thing and I've only got $20 to my name. After our set, I told the other drummer what happened and was relieved to hear he knew it was torn and it was taped up before the gig, so "no biggie, Dude. It's ok." He was one of those wiry little guys with tatoos and all and reportedly studied Kung Fu for like 20 years. I was relieved I got to keep all my body parts. :)

Back