these ratios seem right - i love being a drummer

Funny, yes, & I'm so stealing that, just to wind up my other band members :) Truth is however, there may be a glut of fretists, but finding a really good one is as difficult as with any other instrument.

Nice cartoon! This is the reason I went from guitar to Bass, then Bass to drums..... Where did this cartoon come from?

Funny, yes, & I'm so stealing that, just to wind up my other band members :) Truth is however, there may be a glut of fretists, but finding a really good one is as difficult as with any other instrument.

True that.It's nice when you can find one who's head and gear can fit through the doorway at the same time.Did you find a keys player yet Andy.? :)

Steve B

Last edited:
Nice cartoon. But, I think that the guitar and bass section should be together. Because a lot of guitarist will play bass if they get hungry enough. Also the lead singer section should be split up into lead singers who can sing and lead singers who can't. I have seen lots of singers who could not carry a tune. The drum section is so true.

True that.It's nice when you can find one who's head and gear can fit through the doorway at the same time.Did you find a keys player yet Andy.? :)

Steve B
Did some auditions Steve, & it wasn't a good result. Finding a keys player who can actually play piano, especially in my part of the world, is a tough one. All the good pianists are either too straight, or only interested in specific genre's where they typically get to lead. The issues with our keys player weren't playing related, they were personal, & those are at least partially resolved.

Stolen.

I was at a local blues jam last night, and we had five guitarists, three bassists, a couple of singers, and me and the guy who brought the drums. On the one hand, dudes get tired. On the other hand, you get to play nearly as much as you want.

That cartoon doesn't address the amount of bad drummers there are. In my world, bad drummers are almost as common as the amount of guitar players depicted. Yea, the good drummers are the pearl in the oyster, but in my scene, there are plenty of oysters to shuck before any pearls surface. If I see 10 bar bands in my area, only like 1 in 10 have drummers that I admire.

Last edited:
actually you've nailed it larry. but i can't help wonder if the same ratio or similar applies to all the instruments - ergo the cartoon still rings true. if you take out all the good bass, guitar, vocals and drummers... they would still be the same ratio? a US census i once read listed that there are 100 guitar players for each drummer. if one out of 10 drummers are good that means there are 1000 guitar players for each good drummer. how many of those guitarists will be good? 100? 50? 10? 8? perhaps 8 and the good drummer is in each of those 8 bands with those guitarists.
j

actually you've nailed it larry. but i can't help wonder if the same ratio or similar applies to all the instruments - ergo the cartoon still rings true. if you take out all the good bass, guitar, vocals and drummers... they would still be the same ratio? a US census i once read listed that there are 100 guitar players for each drummer. if one out of 10 drummers are good that means there are 1000 guitar players for each good drummer. how many of those guitarists will be good? 100? 50? 10? 8? perhaps 8 and the good drummer is in each of those 8 bands with those guitarists.
j

I would say that all things being equal, 5 of 10 guitarists would be great, 7 out of 10 bassists would be great, and 1 in 10 drummers would be great. Completely unscientific, and only my opinion, based on my experiences. I think it's harder to get great on drums than it is on guitar. Practice being a top reason. Guitarists can hone their craft almost anywhere, where drummers can't. Practice pads can only get you so far.

Back