quietest ride

carsick

im tired of making stupid decisions and buying rides i dont like , they all seem to be over bearing . i want one that doesnt really have alot to say for its self . ideas?

What's the problem? Too much stick volume? Overbearing wash? Too much "crash" and not enough stick definition?

Im assuming here....but it sounds like you want something a little more dry

Zildjian K rides are always nice

Meinl sand ride is great

Istanbul makes great ride cymbals as well

but 9 times out of 10 its the player not the cymbal

try different stick weights as well

Seriously, you got to provide a tad more info than that. What kind of music are you playing? What are the characteristics that you're not digging?

im tired of making stupid decisions and buying rides i dont like , they all seem to be over bearing . i want one that doesnt really have alot to say for its self . ideas?

As usual, it all depends on the music that you play, but out of all of the rides that I have tried over the years I keep coming back to the 20" Sabian AA Tight Ride as my ride of choice. For me, it's got the perfect amount of wash, ping, and volume (not loud and clangy, not buried by guitars). About once every couple of years I get interested in trying out a new ride, but I always end up selling whichever one I try and pulling my trusty Tight Ride out of the bag. Last year it was the Groove Ride....not what I was looking for at all.

A lot of the time it's just the volume control, the stick and your hand. Most rides can be played with so little volume that they would just get lost. It's actually called "dynamics". Find the sound of the ride you really like and use dynamics when needed.

Dennis

I have a 20" Zil A medium ride that I feel the same way about- so far I have been playing it with a moongel (the horror!) on it but dont think I could go out with it that way.

I do think that putting tape on the bottom of rides is a dirty secret of way more drummers than we know about. I have purchased 3 used rides and all had tape on the bottoms... Thinking of taping my A.

Anyone? It really is also my playing- recently switched to smaller sticks and lighter hands.

I suggest you to break in each 'Drum shop & Cymbal make guide' and look for "Acoustic Low Volume Rides"...What you see and what you hear is what you get!!! Good luck mate...

Thin, unlathed, flat, small diameter.

These qualities make cymbals quieter. If you had a 18" Bosphorus Master Vintage Flat Ride...... you may not even hear it at all......

thank you all , think ive got enough key words and infomation now to set me on my path. just thought there must be cymbals that are renowned for being quiet that everyone knows about. yeh to much overbearing wash , I had a 20" k custom dry ride and have just sold today a istanbul Agop Sultan 20" Ride , i feel more comfortable with my old zildjian zxt ha , i know the way im playin will have alot to do with it but i want to adapt my cymbals to me , not me adapt to them . ill check out flat rides but i do love a good bell

To be totally honest- I have a zxt that I love too- bell is too loud tho. Clean off the label and run it!

i like the look and sound of Meinl 22" Soundcaster Custom Mega Bell Ride now ha , probably being stupid again though

Last edited:
I see a lot of drummers play their ride too hard, usually because they are right handed and are riding with the strong hand, and it sounds heavy handed and not soothing. Unbalanced. I think the ride should be played at a quieter dynamic than the kick or snare. Stick tips make a huge difference. A lighter touch and a smaller tip can yield a much different sound from the same cymbal.

I see a lot of drummers play their ride too hard, usually because they are right handed and are riding with the strong hand, and it sounds heavy handed and not soothing. Unbalanced. I think the ride should be played at a quieter dynamic than the kick or snare. stick tips make a huge difference. A lighter touch and a smaller tip can yield a much different sound from the same cymbal.

I agree Larry

more drummers should practice as if there were volume faders on each limb

I make my students practice to "Tempted" by squeeze ...mostly because its a nice solid 2 and 4 groove throughout......and tell them to play with their kick and snare at a 2 and their hat at a 10....then hat and snare at a 2 and kick at a 10...then hat and kick at a 2 and snare at a 10....8 measures of each

2 and 10 referring to a volume nob obviously

this is much harder than it sounds and gets great results as far as being able to control each limbs volume independently

Back