State your unpopular drumming opinions

Fewer and fewer drummers are playing with power and finesse.

Thankfully, over the last 15 years of so, the opposite is true of metal metal drummers.

Last edited:
Hmmm.

1. Jazz trained drummers are a notch or two better than the field. It just imparts a superior way of seeing percussion.

2. K. Zildjian AND A. Zildjian K cymbals are overrated

3. No cymbal made after 1980 ranks above just “good”.

How about your popular opinions? What's up with the negative content.?

Because it would be unrealistic and dishonest if we were positive all the time. I think a sign of a good forum is that people are allowed to express what doesn't do it for them in an honest and respectful way. Having discussions like these allows us to understand eachother more and figure out why things work for some people and not for others.

These I believe are overrated:
(Runs and hides with the others)

Roland V drums sound and feel like real drums

Pitch matched stick - worked at a music store and the amount of time wood smiths spent sitting at the stick bin matching, eyeing, and chopping for feel when the sticks are going home to be splintered to hell, does pitch match matter then?

Sonically matched cymbals by the vault experts (oh yea and Weckl and Portnoy) who have spent all day with their heads plugged up so their ears don’t get damaged by the machinery.

Rim shots only sound good on tape. No one wants to hear them in person.

Same for metal snares.

All musicians can be drummers, not all drummers can be musicians. Same holds true for all musical instrument players.

The new Sabian logo and marketing campaign will revolutionize the music industry.

Roar in '74 is Buddy's best drumming

I am WAY out of my league on this forum

I think drumming is more important than relationships

Crossing over to play the hi-hats is ridiculous.

DW double pedal drive shafts are the worst piece of drumming hardware in existence.

Remo has atrocious quality control. (Not an opinion)

1. Learning to tune the drum you have will likely provide a better sound than upgrading to higher quality drum without investing in your tuning skills.

2. Investing in quality room acoustic treatment (not just cheap foam) can have a far greater effect on the quality of sound than investing in drums above a certain level.

3. Price tag does not necessarily dictate quality or value.

Relationships?!? Put me in the camp that thinks our ships don’t need no more lations!

Keith Moon is over rated.
I can't testify to his "rating", & it's largely irrelevant anyhow, as he certainly has quite a place in drumming history. As for his playing, I don't care especially for his style, but have you ever tried playing a Keith Moon drum part verbatim? It's tough to do - mostly because his choices defy convention, but there's no denying it's a difficult style to pull off convincingly.

Fully ridiculous notion, now I can see how he bent his drum ; ) Clearly less lations is the answer.

Too many lations.

Don't want ships either.

#2. Drums are far easier to play than stringed instruments or keyboards.

Not to master, but to play. At the master level, all things seem equally unobtainable to me :)

Back