DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default Brooklyn/Club Custom

Well I can't seem to edit the title. It should read Brooklyn/Club Dates. After watching the Portsmouth Drum Center shoot out for Gretsch, and Ludwig. I'm really wanting a Brooklyn, Club Dates, or Classic Maple kit. I've been looking at used ones. I definitely want a 20" kick and there's not many of those in the Brooklyn kits used. There seems to be a lot of 18" and bigger than 20" in the brooks. I'm thinking about selling my Tama performers to help pay for the new kit, I don't know though. Do any of you that own a Brooklyn or Club Dates (the newest ones with imperial lugs) have any pros and cons comments about them? I have tapped on some Classic Maples at my local store, but have only heard the Brooks & C.C.s on the net.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.

Last edited by lefty2; 03-23-2019 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:29 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Brooklyn/Club Custom

It's a small quibble, but I'm not crazy about the "rims" mounts on the Brooklyns. I think the Renowns have a sleeker design. It's a pain to clip mics onto the Brooklyns with those "rims" in the way.

The Yamaha and Ludwig will have better mounting trees off the bass drum, if you're running two toms above the kick. The Brooklyn bass drum double mount is functionally fine, but it's kind of clunky looking. Yamaha's hardware is always sleek and smooth.

Sonically, the Club Customs are going to have a bit a vintage vibe to them. Not as bright or expressive as the Brooklyns -- a bit more focused and mellow. Whether this is a point in favor or against depends on your taste. The Brooklyns are very, very fine drums; Gretsch really nailed it. Yamaha Club Customs are so good, when you find them used, they usually go for what they cost new, if not a little more, and they find a buyer in minutes.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
It's a small quibble, but I'm not crazy about the "rims" mounts on the Brooklyns. I think the Renowns have a sleeker design. It's a pain to clip mics onto the Brooklyns with those "rims" in the way.
Easy fix: https://www.drumcenternh.com/gretsch...ount-w-lugs-12
Old 03-23-2019, 04:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post

The Yamaha and Ludwig will have better mounting trees off the bass drum, if you're running two toms above the kick. The Brooklyn bass drum double mount is functionally fine, but it's kind of clunky looking. Yamaha's hardware is always sleek and smooth.

Sonically, the Club Customs are going to have a bit a vintage vibe to them. Not as bright or expressive as the Brooklyns -- a bit more focused and mellow. Whether this is a point in favor or against depends on your taste. The Brooklyns are very, very fine drums; Gretsch really nailed it. Yamaha Club Customs are so good, when you find them used, they usually go for what they cost new, if not a little more, and they find a buyer in minutes.
I'm sorry I meant to say Club Dates, and not club customs. I'll edit the post.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:01 AM
lefty2
This message has been deleted by lefty2.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2 View Post
I'm sorry I meant to say Club Dates, and not club customs. I'll edit the post.
Ah, ok. Well, then...

Brooklyns!