DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:19 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Rhythm magazine

Rhythm Magazine is producing is final is side since 1985
I am sad to hear this. It was a superb resource for me.
I want to thank you everyone involved with Rhythm in its history and also wish all of them the very best for he future.
“Rhythm Beats working”

I think they mean final issue.???
Old 03-01-2019, 11:01 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Rhythm magazine

Are they just stopping their print magazines and going strictly digital?
Old 03-01-2019, 11:05 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I only saw what I posted so I'm not sure.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:43 PM
Banned

Where was that dyslexic gibberish posted?

https://twitter.com/rhythmmagazine

https://www.facebook.com/RhythmMagazine

http://www.musicradar.com/rhythm

Last edited by drumming sort of person; 03-01-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
Are they just stopping their print magazines and going strictly digital?
The next issue is the last ever one. Both print and digital are gone from what I've heard.

Truely gutted. What with the closure of Drummer Magazine, after it was bought by Rhythms parent company in recent years, and now Rhythm we have no major UK publications now. Very sad for the staff also.

Big, big loss to the community. Will miss it.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:18 AM
Administrator - Mayor

I have a drummer friend from Ireland who posted the info. He was thanking the staff and wishing them luck. The last issue posted on Facebook is January. Today is March 1.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:02 AM
Silver Member

Damn, that is terrible news. Rhythm magazine has been the best drumming related magazine for the past several years. That’s a huge disappointment.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:37 AM
Banned

Tough times for magazines all around. Some do manage to stay afloat, but I imagine they've all cut back on staff. I still buy a magazine now and then, but not as much as I used to.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
Tough times for magazines all around. Some do manage to stay afloat, but I imagine they've all cut back on staff. I still buy a magazine now and then, but not as much as I used to.
It is indeed.

Drum! For example has recently gone from a monthly publication to a quarterly one now so there must be a good reason for that.

Obviously another struggling industry thanks to the internet and dwindling sales.

Very big shame this one. Been reading it for over 20 years and still a subscriber. Won't be the same not receiving Rhythm through my letterbox each month, only received the latest issue in recent days.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

The problem is back in the day print magazines were the only place to get info/interviews/reviews/etc. A lot of people eventually shifted digital and some magazines followed. However, now a lot of what we used to pay for in the magazine is now available free on YouTube, so even a lot of the digital subscription magazines are finding they can't compete.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:18 PM

Found out it was closing a couple of days ago. Been subscribing to it for years and bought it since the early days.

A great mag - with a tuition DVD included each month.

Genuinely gutted it's closing. Will miss it dropping through the letterbox. Was always a small treat.

We all know it's an increasingly digital world. But surely there must still be a big enough market of readers and advertisers to support one dedicated drum magazine in the UK.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Administrator - Mayor

It used to be that magazines were paid for by the advertisements, and your subscription fee would basically cover the postage. I'm not sure if that is the case here, but advertisers look at circulation numbers and use that for deciding whether it's worth paying to ad. If circulation numbers drop, so do advertisers. You can get a clue from the thickness of the magazine and the number of issues per year.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
It used to be that magazines were paid for by the advertisements, and your subscription fee would basically cover the postage. I'm not sure if that is the case here, but advertisers look at circulation numbers and use that for deciding whether it's worth paying to ad. If circulation numbers drop, so do advertisers. You can get a clue from the thickness of the magazine and the number of issues per year.
As postage goes up as well it is a vicious cycle that unfortunately a lot of print media has fallen prey to. That doesn't even include the fact that employees like to be paid.

From a marketing standpoint from a lot of companies, they get more eyeballs on their product just giving an endorsement on product to a YouTube star with a bunch of subscribers than paying out thousands of dollars for a spread in a magazine.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Posted today:

I’ve avoided mentioning this so far - not least because the future isn’t entirely set in stone just yet and this process affects a few people’s livelihoods (including my own), However the sad news of Future’s current intention to close Rhythm is now out there.
It’s easy to confuse a magazine owned by a PLC with a corporation, but the truth is that Rhythm is essentially a small business, staffed mostly by a dedicated and passionate core of one full-time team member and freelance/part-time team members, that you could count on one hand.

Print is a tough and expensive game, but it’s not dead, as proved by Rhythm’s recent Stewart Copeland issue - the best-selling in over two years. I feel incredibly lucky to have continued the hard work of the editors and teams who came before me on the magazine that has continued to give me insight and inspiration into the thing I have been obsessed with for most of my life. Without naming names, you know who you are. These people slogged away planning, contributing and racing to hit deadlines 13 times a year (sometimes more) in order to make Rhythm what it is and has been for 34 years, and I couldn’t be prouder to have been involved.

It’s a sad time for myself and those mentioned above, and there is no other platform in the UK providing quality, independent, unbiased coverage of the drum industry with Rhythm’s reach - be that in print, digitally or both. That’s just fact: a voice that will always be vital for any industry.

If you value the things that help fuel your passion for your hobby, whatever that may be: support them. Buy the music you love, pay to see the films you’ve been recommended, invest in creative output. Because if you don’t, they won’t be
Old 03-03-2019, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

That's a bummer. Fewer and fewer print outlets have been able to survive the digital media boom. I was in a few full page ads in Rhythm back in the mid 2000's. At that point I hadn't even been to Europe yet, so I was puzzled as to why a UK magazine was publishing work with me, but cool non-the-less.
Sorry to see them go.
YouTube
Old 03-05-2019, 03:58 AM

I was looking up some old back issues and learned that the US and UK editions were completely different, at least during some of the time it was published.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

sad sad time :( I do wonder what this means for the london drum show though?
Old 03-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
sad sad time :( I do wonder what this means for the london drum show though?
Very much expecting that they’ll be no more London Drum show now with the team at Rhythm out of jobs.

No one left to organise it and no publication to promote it.

At least we have the U.K. Drum Show as a major exhibition I guess.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Very much expecting that they’ll be no more London Drum show now with the team at Rhythm out of jobs.

No one left to organise it and no publication to promote it.

At least we have the U.K. Drum Show as a major exhibition I guess.
I have no idea what the fate of the London drum Show will be, but the signs aren't good. No tickets on sale, no appearance announcements, other shows bought by Future now gone, etc.

I completely get the demise environment of print, & there's no real immunity to that, but most regrettably, almost everything (drum related) touched by Future Publishing over the years has suffered from a corporate approach. Sure, the small teams on the ground have worked with passion, but that does not extend to their paymasters. This is why The UK Drum Show split off after the acquisition of London Drum Show by Future Publishing. Many in the industry were aware of Future's track record & sought to get ahead of the curve, especially the smaller guys who always felt disenfranchised by the almost exclusive concentration on major brand patronage.

FWIW, this is the basis of my strong support of The UK Drum Show in it's formative stages, & although my contribution is now obviously diminished, I still work with the team in the background.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:40 PM

I find this very sad :(
Old 03-09-2019, 02:49 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I realize that this list may not be completely relevant to todays list but it just shows a pattern. I tried to find a list for the past 10 years and this is what I found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ican_magazines
Old 03-22-2019, 06:23 PM

I hate to hear this. I've been a loyal reader and subscriber for at least 15 years or so. I'm a magazine junkie and there are several I subscribe to monthly and have since I was a kid. My favorite motorcycle magazine, Hot Bike, just shut down as well and that was a definite bummer. Nobody else had the content of Hot Bike and I'll miss it dearly. The same goes for Rhythm. It's a fantastic magazine. One of my favorite things to relax and unwind is to sit down with a cold beer and read my magazines. I don't like the online thing, it's just not the same. I guess I'm old school and that's fine with me. I still buy cd's, albums, and dvd's/Blu Ray's instead of downloading them. I want to support my favorite artist's and I want to own a physical copy. Sometimes technology sucks.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:08 PM

Yep, you've hit the nail on the head. Rhythm had a lot of the drum content I enjoy all in one easily accessible place. Scrolling down my iPhone isn't the same. The final edition dropped through the letterbox last week. I've subscribed for years. Was genuinely sad for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianb View Post
I hate to hear this. I've been a loyal reader and subscriber for at least 15 years or so. I'm a magazine junkie and there are several I subscribe to monthly and have since I was a kid. My favorite motorcycle magazine, Hot Bike, just shut down as well and that was a definite bummer. Nobody else had the content of Hot Bike and I'll miss it dearly. The same goes for Rhythm. It's a fantastic magazine. One of my favorite things to relax and unwind is to sit down with a cold beer and read my magazines. I don't like the online thing, it's just not the same. I guess I'm old school and that's fine with me. I still buy cd's, albums, and dvd's/Blu Ray's instead of downloading them. I want to support my favorite artist's and I want to own a physical copy. Sometimes technology sucks.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianb View Post
I'm a magazine junkie and there are several I subscribe to monthly and have since I was a kid. My favorite motorcycle magazine, Hot Bike, just shut down as well and that was a definite bummer. Nobody else had the content of Hot Bike and I'll miss it dearly. The same goes for Rhythm. It's a fantastic magazine. One of my favorite things to relax and unwind is to sit down with a cold beer and read my magazines. I don't like the online thing, it's just not the same. I guess I'm old school and that's fine with me. I still buy cd's, albums, and dvd's/Blu Ray's instead of downloading them. I want to support my favorite artist's and I want to own a physical copy. Sometimes technology sucks.
Exactly! Same here. I can't get into online magazines at all. I need to hold a physical hardcopy and be able to turn the pages. Old School rules.

Will definitely miss Rhythm magazine. Same sentiments about Hot Bike Magazine as well. End of an era for sure.