What's your latest purchase?

K Custom Dark 16, 17, 18, 20" Ride, and 14" hats
Pearl M1330 maple piccolo

Last edited:
For my birthday

Zildjian A City Pack
Sonor AQ2 Safari

Got the City Pack last week to put with my SPL Street Bop kit. I hadn't played that kit in a while and was surprised how much I didn't like the sound compared to my Gretsch Renowns. Well, obviously not a surprise, but the difference was so stark I didn't want to play the kit at all. The Zildjian City Pack cymbals though are outstanding. The ride and hi-hats are really nice. Excellent tone from them both. Even the 14" crash, which sounds a bit more splashy than crashy, sounds good. I'm very impressed with this small cymbal pack.

ACITYP248-large.jpg

I am a guitar player so I bought a guitar for my birthday. A 2019 Gibson SG Special. It arrived in not so good condition and I had to send it back. They didn't have anymore to replace the crappy one with so I figured it was a sign. A sign that I don't need anymore guitars and should buy another drum set instead! LOL!

Since I had fallen out of love with my very first drum kit, the SPL Street Bop, I decided to sell it and replace it with a better small kit. After a few days of research I settled on the Sonor AQ2 Safari. It's maple ply like my Renowns, good hardware, good tone according to the reviews and video demos. I ordered the kit today. I got the Marine White Pearl. I would have preferred a darker color, but not enough to put up another $200. I had intended to just add an AQ2 16" bass drum and use my Renown toms with it for a smaller footprint, but for $250 more I could have an entire kit so I went with it. With 48-month financing this was an easy purchase!

AQ2WhiteSafariLeft__88829.1539055619.1280.1280.jpg

Carbon Fiber, Sounds awesome!!!

Attachments

• cabon fiber.jpg
    cabon fiber.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 545
Taye Copper snare
Aluminum die cast hoops.

Attachments

• taye1.jpg
    taye1.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 544
  • taye2.jpg
    taye2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 552
  • taye3.jpg
    taye3.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 538
2005 year of production Paiste 22in Signature Full Ride. Med Bright, nice ping, strong bell, lush wash. Like it so far, played it for a short while earlier.

Attachments

• IMG_E0853.JPG
    IMG_E0853.JPG
    373.2 KB · Views: 547
I bought a Yamaha boom arm for cowbells. That thing is the single greatest invention ever! The placement options are limitless, especially if used on my DR-80 Pearl drum rack. I was fed up with having it attached to the bass drum hoop......ugh!

I bought a Yamaha boom arm for cowbells. That thing is the single greatest invention ever! The placement options are limitless, especially if used on my DR-80 Pearl drum rack. I was fed up with having it attached to the bass drum hoop......ugh!

Word - recently added one too. Cowbell over my floor tom next to the ride, it's ideal.

More excitingly, recently got an Oriollo Phantom 14x6.5 in black sable.
It's gorgeous!

Word - recently added one too. Cowbell over my floor tom next to the ride, it's ideal.

More excitingly, recently got an Oriollo Phantom 14x6.5 in black sable.
It's gorgeous!

Over the floor tom eh?...........clever idea 👍

Had my GAS under control until I fell off the wagon:

1. DW 8x14 purpleheart snare. What a backbeat.

2. Orphan Tama 14x16 Star floor tom that matches my kit. I already had a drum this size but my fave drum shop offered to make a deal. Suddenly I’m running the possibility of having a kit with two of the same sized floor toms through my mind. They honestly revealed that the drum was a demo and had a flaw. Upon examining the flaw, it was EXACTLY like the small crack on the inner shell from a drum I had returned to Tama upon accepting delivery of my new kit from a different retailer some months ago. The drum also had floor tom legs different from the Star legs it was supposed to have, just like the drum I had returned! See where I’m going with this? What are the odds? Anyway, I now have the drum I once owned and it cost a fraction of a new one. The drums may be the same size, but tuned differently.

3. Zildjian 15” Sweet hats (not shown)

Attachments

• 3DAB312C-09E0-4F4D-8BC5-88910FD1442C.jpeg
    3DAB312C-09E0-4F4D-8BC5-88910FD1442C.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 528
  • C5E2AC08-4DFE-4164-A24B-7AC3A7ADD122.jpeg
    C5E2AC08-4DFE-4164-A24B-7AC3A7ADD122.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 518
Just landed today from across The Pond. Apologies in advance for the iPhone photo quality.

Guru TOUR 7" X 14" Padauk (left) and Guru In-Tense 5.5" X 14" Ovangkol (right).

Major congrats Doug! I can honestly say, my Guru Ovangkol snare is by far the most amazing sounding wood snare I've ever played or heard. I've tried buying other wood snares but that dang Guru just keeps beating them all....I guess it's saving me money, ha!

Major congrats Doug! I can honestly say, my Guru Ovangkol snare is by far the most amazing sounding wood snare I've ever played or heard. I've tried buying other wood snares but that dang Guru just keeps beating them all....I guess it's saving me money, ha!

Thanks Clint! She's a keeper!

Just landed today from across The Pond. Apologies in advance for the iPhone photo quality.

Guru TOUR 7" X 14" Padauk (left) and Guru In-Tense 5.5" X 14" Ovangkol (right).

Oh my, extraordinary drums. Congrats! I have the same size padauk drum but yours appears to have 8 lugs??? Wow! I’m fortunate to own a few of Andy’s and Dean’s masterpieces so I’m familiar with what you’re experiencing. Special instruments. I still have regrets for not pulling the trigger fast enough for that last black walnut kit. My padauk kit will have to do :).

Oh my, extraordinary drums. Congrats! I have the same size padauk drum but yours appears to have 8 lugs??? Wow! I’m fortunate to own a few of Andy’s and Dean’s masterpieces so I’m familiar with what you’re experiencing. Special instruments. I still have regrets for not pulling the trigger fast enough for that last black walnut kit. My padauk kit will have to do :).

Thanks! Yeah, Andy had an 8-lug Padauk in stock. I didn't think very long about scooping it up. Very special instruments indeed.

I just got a brand new Ludwig Classic Maple. Here is the unboxing and sound sample vid. https://youtu.be/nGcHkEpm3rE

I was at Guitar Center a few days ago and saw a Classic Maple kit...the 16x16 floor tom was tuned low and it blew me away. I wondered if it was a fluke.

Now I see your vid, and the low tuning on the 16" floor sounds identical. Holy crap it sounds awesome.

I'm not even a fan of low tunings, but I think the Classic Maple is the kit to get for that sound.

As a jazzier player though, your "high" tuning is more like a mid tuning for me.

Thanks for posting the vid! It's nice to live vicariously.

Back