Crossroads

Mate, that was fantastic. I'd never even heard of these chicks. Have been lost down the YouTube rabbit hole for the last hour or so checking as much of their stuff that I could find. They're great. So very enjoyable. Just about to start buying up some of their music!!

Country Blues really reaches down deep in me. It's so rich in content. My favorite Blues song of all time, Charley Patton's "Spoonful Blues" You absolutely have to read the lyrics to understand him, but then you can't not understand him. I think this is THE most badass blues song there is. It's got a lot of nuance that takes repeated listening to catch. Very rich in actual raw materials Blues content:
You have to click the "show more" thing right above the comment tally to see the lyrics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyIquE0izAg\

I love how he only says the word Spoonful one time. Every other time he would say it, he substitutes a 2 note slide figure. Knocks me out.

Yes , glad you dig it.. they restore ones faith music, here's another for you Ace, the band is cook'n. Sorry when i read Crossroads i just went Robert Johnson. https://youtu.be/Zh4n1bZi4d8

Anyone who tries to do faithful renditions of RJ songs has my attention. But even Robert outright stole some of his songs, "Love In Vain" come to mind.

Robert's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BkPm8JIJJQ

Leroy Carrs original song (predates Robert's song):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7SPA79EwtY&list=PLscJc-uSowU5XGKugewujK8YhCWtTuLkD&index=3

And just because, I have to link Skip James' Devil Got My Woman, because his voice and style is just sooo haunting. The very deepest of the Delta Blues style IMO. Skip predated RJ.
https://youtu.be/mYALBzfY5QY?t=57

I think you should take some time for yourself before jumping back in. Find something to be excited about, then go do it! :)

I've always been aligned with your POV and this is no exception.

What the hell!!!! Who got rich off that? I'd have gone after 8 seconds never mind 8 years!

Do something with zero baggage on your own terms. The enjoyment will come flooding back.

Sorry I wasn't clear, this only went on for the last 7 months in the original band. I was used to making a little money for playing prior, not paying to play.

You have a nice basement set up, rught? So use it! Invite a musician, who’s playing you like, over to jam. No promises or pretenses, just a jam session. See what happens. Maybe pick some tunes to jam on beforehand, so you’re actually playing something instead of gabbing the whole time. Build that friendship and musical rapport first. Worry about bands and gigs later.

I have a lot of options now, and I want to use them. Recording is a steep learning curve for me. I'm rekindling old musical friendships for jams at my house. If I join a band, I want it already established with gigs before I'll consider. Basically, I want to have fun gigs. Originals is a different scene. So I have no problem doing covers. When you go to a classical concert, IMO that's a cover band too lol.

People dance to stuff they know, and that's really my end game goal, get people dancing. That's really all I'm after. I don't want to tour, I want to see, and be a part of, fun times. That I know I can attain.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Just go find another band. It's exciting to jam with new people. I just enjoy going places and doing things, meeting people. You're a good drummer, lots of people want to gig with you.

I thought this would be a discussion on Larry schooling everyone on how to play the song "Crossroads" properly. lol

As Bill Cobbs said as Del Paxton in That Thing You Do: "Ain't no way to keep a band together. Bands come and go. You got to keep on playin', no matter with who."

Me, I was worried when I saw this thread, even moreso when you started it out by saying you quit a band.

You see, Crossroads is the name of one of the bands I play in, so I was wondering if I was gonna be looking for gig all of a sudden :)

I'm sure you'll be playing more regularly again, as soon as you want to be. Pro's tend to get gigs, since people want to play with pro's. Looking forward to hearing your newest adventures.

Is this the band you've talked about where the singer/band leader is a real stickler for metronomic time?

If I join a band, I want it already established with gigs before I'll consider. Basically, I want to have fun gigs. Originals is a different scene. So I have no problem doing covers. When you go to a classical concert, IMO that's a cover band too lol.

People dance to stuff they know, and that's really my end game goal, get people dancing.

Why are you thinking so narrowly? Maybe starting a new band writing and playing original music is the change you need but don't know it. Although there are obvious downsides to it, there are upsides you don't have when playing in a cover band.

And I'm not sure that people dance to [only] what they know. My band played it's first show a couple of months ago, and nearly everyone was on their feet and bopping around halfway through the first song - and nearly all of them had never heard the music before. I think what gets people moving is a good melody with a strong beat - in other words, that's sufficient and knowing the music isn't really necessary. Then again, we play rock, so people aren't really "dancing" the way they do to a tango, for instance.

Either way, this is just my way of saying don't discount playing in or starting an original band. It could be what you need to get yourself, and others, moving again.

Is this the band you've talked about where the singer/band leader is a real stickler for metronomic time?

Why are you thinking so narrowly? Maybe starting a new band writing and playing original music is the change you need but don't know it. Although there are obvious downsides to it, there are upsides you don't have when playing in a cover band.

And I'm not sure that people dance to [only] what they know. My band played it's first show a couple of months ago, and nearly everyone was on their feet and bopping around halfway through the first song - and nearly all of them had never heard the music before. I think what gets people moving is a good melody with a strong beat - in other words, that's sufficient and knowing the music isn't really necessary. Then again, we play rock, so people aren't really "dancing" the way they do to a tango, for instance.

Either way, this is just my way of saying don't discount playing in or starting an original band. It could be what you need to get yourself, and others, moving again.

I quit the metronomic band in July. I joined an original band shortly after that. I just quit the original gig. That band's gigs aren't fun enough. It's all work and no fun lol. Besides, thinking it through...If I went for an original band and it started getting interest....what am I gonna do, go on tour? I don't want to tour at this stage. I just want fun gigs. Like the kind where chicks are dancing all night.

I got a new hobby that's been consuming all my thoughts anyway.

Gold prospecting lol.

I quit the metronomic band in July. I joined an original band shortly after that. I just quit the original gig.

Ah, got it. Just read through the thread again...

So, you're down to a blue's band that gigs about once a month.

How about hitting some of those open jams you mentioned, doing some networking and making yourself available as a sub? You may find a band that you like (not suggesting that you ask to replace the drummer), or at the very least challenge yourself to get through a night of playing on short notice?

Maybe you'll strike gold with some band that checks all the boxes. Speaking of gold prospecting did you see the "Sisters Brothers". John C. Reilly, Joaquin Phoenix, Jake Gyllenhaal, Riz Ahmed are in it and about gold prospecting in Oregon. It's a really different movie. My brothers and I had dreams of gold treasure to be found in the Gulf of Mexico with so many ship wrecks and fed by the astronaut who saw ships from space in the 60s.

Back