Drum placements on stage

Nilsdrums

Hi!

I have been wondering this for quite a while, why do some bands make the drummer sit so far back on the stage?
There are bands that put the drummer more forward closer to the audience(And some even at the front but thats very rare) but some seem to place the drums as far back as possible for some reason.
Why is this? I like to be much closer to the edge(So I get closer to my bandmates and more visible to the crowd).

And it can't be because of space cause the others have way more than they need or use on the stage.

There's a tradition of the drummer being in the back or more integrated into the band, starting in the big band days. Although, some drummers had a more prominent position. It seems to be a case of the bandleader's preference, and it's very subjective. It's not that the drummer is being hidden, because 99% of the time, they're on a riser for better visibility.

In general though, I'd say that those who sing lead tend to be placed up front*, and drummers are rarely the lead singer. Even when they are, they may or may not be placed up front - Kelly Keagy (Night Ranger) was up front, Don Henley (Eagles) was not.

Doesn't really matter to me, I doubt that many people attend any of my bands' gigs to see me. I just enjoy playing, and I get paid no matter where they put me.

Bermuda

* Even other players may not end up in the front, whether they sing or not. Many bands have the bass player and maybe another guitar player behind the singer/s up front.

It’s a balance thing and stage ergonomics too. Usually you put the bigger bulkier things more out of the way, to open up the stage. Usually tons of cables running up to drums and amps, so makes sense to keep them out of the way to prevent tripping hazards. Also tougher to move around the stage when a big drum set is blocking you off from the other side of the stage.

In addition to everything else already stated, the drums have a lot of microphones on them in larger stage setups, so moving them to the front of the stage potentially creates lots of bleed and feedback issues from monitors and amps.

If we play a wide stage, the four of us set up in a line, drums included. I’m 2nd from the right.

If its a squarer stage, the three guitar guys stand in front and I sit behind with the amps. Sitting among the amps may help the timing a fraction?

why do some bands make the drummer sit so far back on the stage?

Damn, how big are the stages you play on ?

We are lucky to get a 16' deep stage. I need 6' so that only leaves 10' for the front people to work in and the monitors often take up some of that.

If everyone is sitting down it might not matter that much, but if not you'd be in the way.

I dunno...most larger jazz ensembles seem to have them to their right along with bass.

Attachments

• JLCO14_15tour_byFrankStewart_crop_767_431_0_0_0_85___2845.jpg
    JLCO14_15tour_byFrankStewart_crop_767_431_0_0_0_85___2845.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
One of the best concerts I've ever been to was The Pat Metheny Group c. 1988 (Wertico on drums) and they had a grouping of musicians I'd never seen before, very similar to the photo below.

I saw his trio in 2010 (Sanchez on drums, McBride on bass) and they used a similar grouping.

Having the drums to his immediate left must be a preference of his.

Attachments

• pat metheny group.jpg
    pat metheny group.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 308
Dang, 90% of the "stages" I play we are always cramped for room. Being "too far back" is never a problem.

Drums do take up quite a bit of real estate. When there's barely enough space, it's usually a matter of logic and space conservation.

Depends on the level gig you do. My gigs are normally....you have to do the funky drummer contortion shimmy to get behind the kit :)

When I was gigging my kit was pretty large, death metal go figure. There were a couple of times I got to set up in front because I didn't fit on the riser, or the headlining drums were already on them. There were a few times when only I fit on the stage, so everyone else stood on the floor. And then there was this one bar we played at that had a Jagermeister bottle half wall dividing the stage into front and back. I would have to set up behind it. That always sucked, felt like the odd man out being behind a partial wall.

When I was gigging my kit was pretty large, death metal go figure. There were a couple of times I got to set up in front because I didn't fit on the riser, or the headlining drums were already on them. There were a few times when only I fit on the stage, so everyone else stood on the floor. And then there was this one bar we played at that had a Jagermeister bottle half wall dividing the stage into front and back. I would have to set up behind it. That always sucked, felt like the odd man out being behind a partial wall.

Maybe this should be its own thread of weird stage setups. I have played a few that make no sense whatsoever.

I think a lot of drummers don't want to be up front in the spotlight and like being back in the back.

Sometimes the drummer takes visual cues from the singer or other musicians, that's kind of hard to do if they are behind you. Plus, there only needs to be one person behind the drumkit, not the entire band.

I was in a band for a while that really liked to put me up front and center stage. I wasn't such a fan of the arrangement for a few reasons.

Drums do take up quite a bit of real estate. When there's barely enough space, it's usually a matter of logic and space conservation.

Depends on the level gig you do. My gigs are normally....you have to do the funky drummer contortion shimmy to get behind the kit :)

That's true!
But some have drummers unnecessarily far back. Like this stage set up for example. The drums could easily be much closer without the others having to little space. But I guess the band usually discuss where to put drums and amps etc so it might be a personal preference of the drummer?

Attachments

• Stage.jpg
    Stage.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 121
Sometimes the drummer takes visual cues from the singer or other musicians, that's kind of hard to do if they are behind you. Plus, there only needs to be one person behind the drumkit, not the entire band.

Yeah that's true, I didn't really mean the drums being in front of the others but just closer to them. It wouldn't make much scene to have a drum kit in front of all of the others(I wouldn't want that kind of stage set up) but i just prefer being closer to my bandmates. But I guess bands usually discuss this and drummers being way in the back are sometimes personal preferences of the drummer or other members

That's true!
But some have drummers unnecessarily far back. Like this stage set up for example. The drums could easily be much closer without the others having to little space. But I guess the band usually discuss where to put drums and amps etc so it might be a personal preference of the drummer?

If you are doing a gig that needs that many monitors and that many amps, I don't think I would want to be in front of those amps.

With that stage layout that is obviously a large production. You probably wouldn't want things closer due to bleed over, another reason why drums aren't sitting next to all your vocal mics and junk.

Back