Random idea of the day

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Here's mine for today, May 10, 2019.

A heart shaped sticker, lifelike or not, sized just right for the drum, centered, and applied to the reso head.

When someone plays the drum, it looks like the heart beats.

Also, at some tunings it's amazing how much the nearest tom colors the tone of the snare drum.

Here's mine for today, May 10, 2019.

A heart shaped sticker, lifelike or not, sized just right for the drum, centered, and applied to the reso head.

When someone plays the drum, it looks like the heart beats.

Also, at some tunings it's amazing how much the nearest tom colors the tone of the snare drum.

Well crap, if I did that my drums might go into cardiac arrest! Double pedal and all!

That's the whole point! It conveys the energy! The women would love it I bet.

Some guys are just heartless...

Attachments

• 29969_00.jpg
    29969_00.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 217
Larry, I've been told I'm a weird guy. I don't often deny it, but I think some of the stuff that goes through your head is weirder than some of mine.

I would like to formally request at least daily updates to the "Uncle Larry Thoughts" thread here.

Larry, I've been told I'm a weird guy. I don't often deny it, but I think some of the stuff that goes through your head is weirder than some of mine.

I would like to formally request at least daily updates to the "Uncle Larry Thoughts" thread here.

You are a weird guy James. You can't compare different flavors of weird, because they are too weird. One off's. I personally think my idea is marketable and not weird at all. I take high offense to you implying that I am weirder than you. You could frame it that I beat you in the weird game, but no. I get compared to you, who in your mind is supposed to be the measuring stick. I think you're envious, that's what I think.

Well I'm having none of it. I'm plugging my ears and saying La la la la la.

:)

I've seen a condom stretched and fitted to a BD port. Twas hilarity, but really made it hard for the rest of the band members to play.

I assume you want to do the same, but with a heart shaped object.

I've seen a condom stretched and fitted to a BD port. Twas hilarity, but really made it hard for the rest of the band members to play.

Yea, but not on the port part.

Port part port part port part port part lol.

On the head, in the center, where the most deflection is.

Yea, but not on the port part.

Port part port part port part port part lol.

If you can find a shop that can print a mixed-material polymer+rubber sheets where rubberizer was layered, you could make a fortune in 3D-effect bass drum heads. You could literally jump a band's name an inch off the head each beat.

If you could print the rubberizer with high-resolution, you get to open an illusionist's toolbox. Stuff like motion... a 3 frame animated gif of an eye that blinks

The implications alone of being able generate (cough) explicit (cough) animated, three dimensional BD heads has me eager to hop onboard.

Where do I sign up?

The way that works is to cut a good sized hole in the center of the head, and covering the hole, loosely attach a light cloth with a heart printed on it. It will move dynamically with each kick. :)

I got THAT idea from Sandy Gennaro. He used to have a small American flag hanging in the hole, although it got sucked inside with every kick. Never quite understood that.

Bermuda

If you can find a shop that can print a mixed-material polymer+rubber sheets where rubberizer was layered, you could make a fortune in 3D-effect bass drum heads. You could literally jump a band's name an inch off the head each beat.

If you could print the rubberizer with high-resolution, you get to open an illusionist's toolbox. Stuff like motion... a 3 frame animated gif of an eye that blinks

The implications alone of being able generate (cough) explicit (cough) animated, three dimensional BD heads has me eager to hop onboard.

Where do I sign up?

The way that works is to cut a good sized hole in the center of the head, and covering the hole, loosely attach a light cloth with a heart printed on it. It will move dynamically with each kick. :)

I got THAT idea from Sandy Gennaro. He used to have a small American flag hanging in the hole, although it got sucked inside with every kick. Never quite understood that.

Bermuda

This thread is supposed to be fun. There's no place for solutions here, besides, I don't like them anyway.

Knock this stuff off already!

My random idea........

How to turn a bass drum into a shaker.

You know those "bead curtains" that people hang up on their door frames?

Get one with wooden beads, cut the length so it fits inside a bass drum and secure it to the top of the inside of the bass drum shell.

Everytime you slam the pedal onto the head, you'll get a nice shaker effect from the vibrations.

Yes? No?

Or replace the beads with bottle tops and make sure each one touches the other one.

The potential is limitless.......

I'd rather you guys puts your heads together and figure out a way to turn my bass drum into a bubble blower.

I'd rather you guys puts your heads together and figure out a way to turn my bass drum into a bubble blower.

Now you're talking.........

I might try that next time I'm at my girlfriend's place, I'll squat down next to the bass drum and hold a bubble blower over the port and get her to do some quarters on the pedal.

She does Muay Thai for fitness......her right leg could lift me off the ground.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a button switch. Cut the power cord of the bubble blower, and wire the switch into it. Place the button under your pedal and the bubble blower in the kick. Plug in the blower and turn it on. As long as the switch under the pedal is off, the blower won't get power. When you step on the pedal, the button switch is depressed and completes the circuit. If you bury the beater between notes, you will have tons of bubbles.

Or you could figure out how to trigger it.

I just did some reading about Mylar. Turns out it is basically a stretched polyester film. Does that mean that Goodwill is loaded with potential drumhead material?

I wanna see someone make drumheads out of denim.

Get a smoke machine filling the bass drum, then every beat a puff of smoke will shoot out from the port. And maybe through the vent holes too! On a Yammie Absolute the bass drum has ten vents - that would look great under lights.

Did it fill like a balloon? That would be pretty cool, go on a double bass run til it explodes. Even cooler, if you had a mechanism that, when the balloon was filled, sealed it closed and sent the balloon off into the audience, Im a frickin' genius level moron.

Get a smoke machine filling the bass drum, then every beat a puff of smoke will shoot out from the port. And maybe through the vent holes too! On a Yammie Absolute the bass drum has ten vents - that would look great under lights.

What makes that even cooler is that the smoke would probably blow perfect rings to the audience, awesome idea!!

Back