Musikmesse 2012 - Premier Nicko McBrain Kit (pics)

Only in the number of toms. Neil's kits have much smaller and shallower toms, placed at a much more sensible angle. Same goes for cymbals.

Not bashing Nicko at all, he's an amazing drummer, but that setup is insane on so many levels :)

I see

Yep. i`ve seen pictures of Nicko`s set from the 80`s (i think the Powerslave "era") where he had three !!! rides and literally a forest of various crashes!
I have a pretty big kit too, but i place my toms in a very different way. To each, his own...

OMG 3 rides? :O One wonders how can he reach all of them comfortably...hmmm

I see

OMG 3 rides? :O One wonders how can he reach all of them comfortably...hmmm

Actually, only two... 22" and 20" sound creation bell rides! Still a ridiculous setup... but not that much bigger than his current one!

Here's a pic from the Somewhere In Time tour '86-87. Notice the Paiste black colorsound 18" chinas mounted behind him! (Sonor Phonic Plus Hi Tech drums)

Attachments

• ironmaiden_colour63.jpg
    ironmaiden_colour63.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 5,170
Last edited:
Actually, only two... 22" and 20" sound creation bell rides! Still a ridiculous setup... but not that much bigger than his current one!

Here's a pic from the Somewhere In Time tour '86-87. Notice the Paiste black colorsound 18" chinas mounted behind him! (Sonor Phonic Plus Hi Tech drums)

If I remember rightly the 20" ride was a bright ride.

At the time I loved those color sound cymbals but they seem so dated now. On the 7th Son tour the two china's mentioned were a very pale blue (nearly white) as was the 13" heavy bell.
What a production the 7th tour was by the way, you folks in the states who didn't see it first time around are in for a treat this summer.

Well, my bad. What i tought was the 3rd ride was actually the china, lol! Because of the angle of the pic i could not see the shape and tought it was a ride!

Well, my bad. What i tought was the 3rd ride was actually the china, lol! Because of the angle of the pic i could not see the shape and tought it was a ride!

Oh yeah, he really has a forest of cymbals and stands! Understandable. I've just been a Nicko geek for a looooonnnng time hahaha... can't wait to see what his new kit for the Maiden England tour looks like this summer!

If I remember rightly the 20" ride was a bright ride.

At the time I loved those color sound cymbals but they seem so dated now. On the 7th Son tour the two china's mentioned were a very pale blue (nearly white) as was the 13" heavy bell.
What a production the 7th tour was by the way, you folks in the states who didn't see it first time around are in for a treat this summer.

I can't wait! I was born too late hahaha. I love the newer stuff too, it's great that they're alternating newer material tours and retrospective ones.

I can't wait! I was born too late hahaha. I love the newer stuff too, it's great that they're alternating newer material tours and retrospective ones.

The first time I saw the 7th tour was at Donington '88 and the production extended out and over the two videos screens either side of the stage. The band didn't use it because it was just lights and drapes but it made the set look massive - like they just dumped half of Antartica in the middle of a muddy English field!!

Hi the White China's and The Heavy Bell Cymbal were definitely not pale blue, I was given Nicko Seventh son White Heavy bell by Steve Gadd Drum Tech in 80's and early 90's to hold why he was setting up Nicko's kit, and It is just standard White like you can get now from Paiste if you custom order.

Here are a couple of pics, same Heavy Bell used on 1990 No Prayer Tour as well

NickoSeventhSonKit.jpg

Nicko001.jpg

Nicko006.jpg

NickoNoPrayerkit2.jpg

NickoNoPrayerkit3.jpg

For laughs I just asked my local drum shop to find out how much the new Nicko replica kits are.

They're all maple, laquered inside, custom wrap outside, 2.5mm hoops, diamond chrome hoops and lugs. Have to buy the whole 11 piece, can't down size. Shell kit only, no hardware but do get remo batters and resos.

Yours for only £8k.

I declined.

Hi the White China's and The Heavy Bell Cymbal were definitely not pale blue, I was given Nicko Seventh son White Heavy bell by Steve Gadd Drum Tech in 80's and early 90's to hold why he was setting up Nicko's kit, and It is just standard White like you can get now from Paiste if you custom order.

Here are a couple of pics, same Heavy Bell used on 1990 No Prayer Tour as well

NickoSeventhSonKit.jpg

Nicko001.jpg

Nicko006.jpg

NickoNoPrayerkit2.jpg

NickoNoPrayerkit3.jpg

Definitely white, my mistake. Nice pics.

Nicko is one of my heroes. Great pics all around.
I'd just love to sit behind that kit and play the intro fill to "Powerslave".

Nicko is one of my heroes. Great pics all around.
I'd just love to sit behind that kit and play the intro fill to "Powerslave".

Mate - took the words right outa my mouth!!
That's the first thing I always think of when I see all those toms.
Either that or the intro to Where Eagles Dare.
BTW guys, fantastic pics of a fantastic kit. Here's another couple....enjoy.

nicko4.jpg

cardiff_9.jpg

manchester_b.jpg

Back