Most Under-rated Drummers

I noticed only a couple of people mentioned Jerry Gaskill (Kings X). I think this guy is a rhythm machine, a great in the pocket drummer. I would suggest checking him out, particularly the Dogman cd, he just grooves!

Phil Levitt of the band Dada. Underrated as a band too.

I always thought Manu Katche was a pretty under-rated drummer, he has a great style and never got the credit he deserves for his work with sting.

Bjork's old band called the Sugarcubes had a really good drummer. i think his name was 'Siggi'. whoever has been drumming PJ harvey's albums, especially the older stuff, is amazing.

I would have to say Chad Ronald Sexton. He plays with 311. The older 311 stuff is really good I have played with him and he is a really amazing drummer !

As for the coldplay thing going on here I don't think this the place to be posting stuff bashing drummers.

Slayer_metal_head said:
To me an underrated drummer is Bill Ward from black sabbath he is an amazing drummer

HEAR! HEAR!

Bill Ward's playing with Sabbath is incredible.

Other underrated drummers:

Andy Newmark - His work with Sly & The Family Stone and Roxy Music is some of the most musical drumming I've ever heard.

Budgie - From Siouxsie & The Banshees and The Creatures. He is a powerhouse and plays some very interesting stuff. Check him out if you haven't already.

Paul Thompson - Original Roxy Music drummer. His work on the "Siren" album greatly influenced me as a young drummer.

TOMANO

Clifford Hoad from a great band that nobody really knows about. If you can check out his drumming on the "Kings of the Sun" Cd, full frontal attack.(if you can find it) The title pretty much explains how he plays the drums.

Thanks for the info about chamberlain, I always wondered who it was putting all that tasty stuff into Liz Phair songs.

Underrated Drummers

I am curious to know who you folks think are some of the more underrated drummers and why. If possible please give a reference to a recording that can be looked into. These are the guys who you don't read about in the drum magazines all the time that I'm looking for.

The first that often comes to mind for me is Bob Bemberg from Supertramp. Simply listen to his playing on "Breakfast In America" and you'll see what I mean. He plays for the song without overplaying. Regardless of how fast or slow the groove always seems right.

The next is Nigel Olsson from Elton John's early days. I have a number of Elton John recordings with Nigel on them and the best, to my liking, are "11-17-70" and "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". He is one of the best ballad playing drummers around. Even when it is a slow song, it always seems to have a great feel. On "11-17-70" it is just piano, bass and drums, so you really get a chance hear Nigel shine even though the drums are kind of dead sounding due to be played in a small studio. Nigel plays his butt off and does a ton back backing vocals which to me is very difficult. Singing drummers are a scant few and he does it very well. On the "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" album Nigel's playing on is quite varied. Listen to "Benny And The Jets". Not a single cymbal crash. His playing on "Funeral For A Friend" drives and drives and drives that piece. "All The Young Girls Love Alice" and "Danny Bailey" have a great groove feel even with their varied tempo changes.

Please let me know what you think!

J P Lapp

Re: Underrated Drummers

Martin Lopez of Opeth for sure. He is phenominal and not many people are aware of the skills that he hones.

I agree, Nigel and Bob were both big influences on me years ago, but then so were these guys, Nick Mason, Mick Fleetwood, Liberty De Vito, and Don Henley.

Roger Taylor was the biggest influence and I guess as his influence was Bonham, then in turn so was mine, but all those other guys are great and often overlooked, even people like Karen Carpenter have a strong place in my heart and influenced me a lot.

I saw Don Henley play with the Eagles for the first time in 96, and all those memories came back, his sound was so right for those songs, he spent days in the studio just tryingto get a bass drum sound before the others arrived, fantastic.

nick mason and mick fleetwood, both great drummers but waay too under-rated IMO

Tom Teasly. He is sponsored by vic firth and hes amazing. But my drum teacher happens to be way better then him. He is better then an large portion of drummers on drummerworld. In my new drum book "steve gadd up close" it has a solo in it. He is like "hey look a solo i wonder how hard it is" Then he goes and plays it perfectly on his first try. Insane
http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7204

CCdrummer said:
Thanks for the info about chamberlain, I always wondered who it was putting all that tasty stuff into Liz Phair songs.

(and Faith Hill songs, and Sara Evans songs, and John Mayer songs, and Macey Gray songs, and Kanye West songs, and Christina Aquillera songs, and Wallflowers songs, and.. and.. and..)

Can you tell I'm a big fan?

The album "mystical adventures", from Jean-Luc Ponty, is one my personal favorite drum albums. It is performed by Rayford Griffin.

I am not very much into jazz, and to my regret, it is the only Griffin's album I am aware of.

A very solid perfomance, which didn't get much exposure, as with lots of jazz albums.

I think there are many many under-rated jazz drummers nowadays.

That guy, oh what is his name, what is his name...

Oh yes, 'Buddy'...'Wealthy'? No, that's not right. 'Buddy'...'Financially In A More Than Stable Situation'? Hmmm...nope, that just doesn't sound right.

Wait...I've got it!! I think his name was 'Buddy Rich'. Has anyone heard of him? Pretty underated guy.

Back