Most Under-rated Drummers

toteman2 said:
I know Matt Sorum can tear the kit appart, but is very reserved when playing in GNR, Slashes Snake Pit, on Velvet Rovolver...

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!! HE Great listen to slashes snakpit "its five o clock somewhere" that album is sick

Jookbox said:
boris williams, formerly of the cure. his drum beats are easy to play but most of them are unique.

Yeah! I totally agree with JookBox, Williams has some fantastic drumming on albums like Disintegration and Wish.
Another great is Matt Chamberlain...

I would say

ben gillies
dale crover
doug clifford
Marky Ramone
Tommy Ramone
Richie ramone
and who ever it is that drums for the doors

Greygoose...it's John Densmore...

mediocrefunkybeat said:
...John Densmore of the Doors. A very solid and innovative drummer, whose stylistic interpretations of the blues and jazz combined to create a unique approach to what was some pretty avant-garde music at the time....

Drummer_Boy said:
That drummer is Jack Irons. He used to play with Red Hot Chilli Peppers,too, I think. I like his playing on that album myself. My favorite under-rated drummer is probably Barrett Martin, of the Screaming Trees. I like his drumming.

Alert - this is wrong. "Ten" was Dave Grusin, who was followed in Pearl Jam by Matt Chamberlain for a short period. Matt didn't play on any records, but he's the drummer in the video for "Alive". After he left he was replaced by Dave Abrusezze (spelling?), who played on a couple of albums before Jack Irons joined for "No Code". Jack was then replaced by Matt Cameron, ex of Soundgarden.

Pearl Jam have had an awful lot of drummers. I believe Eddie Vedder has a reputation for being kind of hard to get along with... Would never imagine that...

To me an underrated drummer is Bill Ward from black sabbath he is an amazing drummer

Under-rated drummers i'll have to go with Mike Justain form unearth, and good ole Adam D from killswitch Engage. Mike is sick in everything he does in my opinion. quick feet hands and in pocket. Adam D was on Alive or Just Breathing, and he played lead guitar. an all around an incredible musician and good drummer. i was shocked to find out that he was the one who laid down the tracks in that album. he also did a few on The End of Heartache. and produced the latest unearth alum. SICK!

Barrymore Barlow.

Jethro Tull.

Was on Robert Plant's "The Principle Of Moments" also.

Yeah i was watching a metallica DVD and Lars is actually pretty good live i dot understand why people bash but i do admit he definately is not one of the drum ledgends but he fits the music

franklinj said:
one of the most under rated drummers, id say, would have to be travis barker...

just kidding (ducks fire from potato launchers filled with drumsticks)

Have you ever used of seen a potatoe gun (the long tube you put hairspray then a potatoe in) those things are awesome we hit a tree with one of those at our cottage.

aahznightsky said:
Jeff Pocaro

amazing studio work. I don't think he got the recognition he deserved.

Mmmm.

Yeah, poor Jeff lived and thrived during a very, ermmm, shall we say, tacky era for music?
Had he been around past the mid 90s i think he'd be one of those tier 1 drummers we talk about on DVD and clinic.

Well, all except for that gruff New Yoiker accent (only Dom Famularo can pull that one off, heeh)

aahznightsky said:
Jeff Pocaro

amazing studio work. I don't think he got the recognition he deserved.

Mmmm.
I don't think he's really under-rated, alot of guys still talk about him very fondly,maybe a little forgotten in some of the younger players circles.I like to mention Eric Kratz too,I recently played with a STP tribute band and his style is very fun to play : real good feel and interesting ideas.

Re: Under Rated Drummers

Poppa Jo Jones is one of the most underrated and one of the best drummers of all time.

Larry Mullen's a competent drummer, but really, anyone can cover his stuff. The guy with Coldplay gets better with each album and the guy with Linkin Park is good too. But they're all well known. For a seriously underrated drummer here's someone you've probably never heard of: Gary Mallaber. Check out his discography! Some classic stuff there.

Back