Philosophical Question

Been on both ends of the spectrum and I'll happily take worst player in the band. I like a challenge.

Being around better players brings you up to their level and makes you raise your game. A good player (usually) doesn't have the ego because they know the hard work it takes to get good. I can happily sit in the pocket and lock in with any bassist whilst everyone else does their thang.

Being around bad players isn't all that inspiring or rewarding, carrying people isn't fun and there's usually bullshit involved. (Empty pipes make one hell of a racket!)

There's a difference between a musician and a player. I've seen musicians who have theory, licks, chops and shreds coming out of their ears but can't play shit!

I'd rather be the worst player in the band. Being the best player is just too frustrating for me.

I'd be the best drummer they ever had. And I wouldn't dumb anything I did down. I'd drag those guys up to me. It's hard for me to be in a situation where everyone isn't trying to do the very best they can.

I've tried to do that and it is difficult. You can drag people only so far, even if they are doing their best.

I play keys for a church now and I'm by far the best musician in the group and I'm not even that great of a keys player. In the end it is very draining.

Yup, I was getting ready to say, "I bet you've never played for a church, have you Bo?" It's a very romantic idea to "be the best drummer they ever had," and it's a very commendable attitude to have (I wish I had it more), but I've been playing in churches for over 20 years and let's just say that talent is rather "spotty" in a church praise band. I'm by no means the best musician out there, but if I'm the hottest player in the room, everyone else is going to have some major issues. Playing with people who struggle to "keep up" is an absolute drain. It's not any fun at all. Even if they are doing their best, much of the time they don't get any better because a.) they don't practice, b.) they just assume that the "good" musicians will cover them up, and c.) church is an easy audience, so who cares if it sucks?

I'm in the best praise band right now in probably a 200 mile radius, and there are still some serious areas that need improving. Right now I feel our problem is that now that we have good numbers every Sunday, we have a handful of members that are in it to "be seen" as opposed to serving. I hate it, but I do it for my family because they are involved as well, and I like playing with them. If they weren't on the team, I'd have quit a year or so ago.

Sorry for the digression! Now back to your regularly-scheduled program. :)

Yes, I'd rather play with people better than me.

And I still love you Bo!

I don't want to be the worst player in the band. I do however want someone in the band that I musically admire that I can learn something from.

Neither. I want the drums to exist, but not be so crappy that it hurts the music. Nor do I want them to be so much better than the rest of the band that it becomes a problem. Put me in the middle anonymously. Let other people be the spotlight or hinderance. I just wanna show up, play, and go home.

This might sound arrogant, but I'd rather be the worst player in the band, because I'm a solid drummer, and that would mean that the whole band would be tight and musically capable.

100% Id like to be the worst player in the band and I honestly feel it is something I can accomplish. Feels good to win

Well, more answers than I expected, and most, very interesting. You have all qualified for the next philosophical question, as soon as I can think of a relavent one.

WOW - very interesting question. It appears "worst" is the dominant response. I would not have suspected that. I would be too concerned about being dumped. Then again, I get the idea - who wants to play with a group of incompetents? I personal don't have to worry about this as I'm not in a band (and haven't been for a long time) but if I was I would most certainly be in that latter society of incompetents.

Thanks Grunter - good discussion. . . .

Thanks. I didn't mention that no one should be fired, the band was the band.

Man, I hate to say it, but I LOVE playing with people above my pay grade. I'm sure I annoy them a bit, but it feels so good when you can fully count on players to do what you expect and have the experience to really kill it.

Playing with people who struggle to "keep up" is an absolute drain.

Yeah, but...

If someone spends a lot of time in that situation, I wonder if they don't learn to be the rock that everyone leans on (in more ways than one) and I wonder if that might not make them more valuable as a player when they get to play with more accomplished musicians.

Learning to get past being frustrated (and letting it show) when people can't "keep up", and being willing to help people out... isn't that attitude part of being a desirable band member?

(I'm just asking; I don't really know.)

Mind you, I'm not talking about people who are obstructionist, who won't lead, follow, or get out of the way. Those people are impossible. But that's a matter of personality, not musical ability.

You have all qualified for the next philosophical question, as soon as I can think of a relavent one.

If you could be a cymbal logo--any cymbal logo--what font would you be . . . . . ?

Yeah, but...

If someone spends a lot of time in that situation, I wonder if they don't learn to be the rock that everyone leans on (in more ways than one) and I wonder if that might not make them more valuable as a player when they get to play with more accomplished musicians.

Learning to get past being frustrated (and letting it show) when people can't "keep up", and being willing to help people out... isn't that attitude part of being a desirable band member?

(I'm just asking; I don't really know.)

Mind you, I'm not talking about people who are obstructionist, who won't lead, follow, or get out of the way. Those people are impossible. But that's a matter of personality, not musical ability.

It takes a LOT more skill to carry a roomful of mediocre players, than to simply enjoy playing with really good ones. Unfortunately, usually you usually get paid a LOT less when you’re gigging with the mediocre players.

I am NOT all that on a drum set, but I am far from terrible. So I would rather be the worst player in the band, which would mean we have a very good band.

I am quite lucky in our church band. Everyone who plays an instrument really knows how to play. That has not always been the case. Peace and goodwill.

I don't see how members have answered when there is no level to the musicians. The OP is more loaded than then topic.

Depends on the situation.

Do the 'better' bandmates need someone 'better' than me to do the songs?

Is there musical value (by my opinion) from the bandmates that are 'worse' than me?

No black/white answer in an environment that changes the question depending on details.

Back