Help a Dad out buying used set for son.

if anyone has the itch and wants to search the Harrisburg, PA craigslist and find me a gem - I'd be really grateful!
Not CL, but may be close enough to you.

Tama Super Star Classic
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/TAMA/Superstar-Classic-Drum-Kit-115100435.gc

PDP Platinum - DW really screwed up with these. They were way too nice, so re-released under DW Performance label. They are as close as you can get for a great price.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/PDP-by-DW/PLATINUM-SHELL-PACK-Drum-Kit.gc

A bit higher price
Nothing dresses up a living room like glitter!
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Pearl/2010s-Masters-MCX-Series-Drum-Kit.gc

If Stage Custom is awesome, this is awesomer! LOL!
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Yamaha/Live-Custom-4-Piece-Drum-Kit.gc

You aren't too far from Bill's Music House in Catonsville Maryland. A nice afternnon drive.

I'd pass on that blue PDP. You can do better than that. Not a CX.

What's the budget again?

"It should, but never assume anything with CL. Don't know if it matters much but the kick looks pretty small - like an 18" diameter. Might want to ask the seller what sizes the drums are."

that bass drum is a 22, nice kit ...but it comes with power toms (12, 13).

Hey Everyone!

With all the "spirited discussion" my innocent little post has sparked, I wanted to come back and give you all an update.

First off, I learned a lot from this thread, and I hope others will too. My big takeaway was the discussion on cymbals. Of course I knew there were many different grades and price points of cymbals. What I didn't know was the auditory difference that I didn't realize until I went to a music store and banged on them myself!

As a violinist and string teacher I can only compare the whole "cymbal debate" to when I recommend to a parent to buy decent strings instead of the stock school grade strings that come on most rental instruments. Yes, the nice strings can cost 4-5X more than a set of steel strings, but they sound soooo much better. Does a beginner, need a set of $75 violin strings (even more for cello and bass)? No, they don't. Will it make a $300 violin sound like a $8000 violin, no. But will it make their violin sound 2-3x better? Will this make the student feel better about their playing and hopefully cause them to practice more and love the instrument? In my experience yes. So I totally understand where people are coming from who say to start out with a nice set of cymbals because it will only benefit the student.

I will also say I was quite overwhelmed by all the opinions presented here, and I really appreciate all of them. I should have mentioned in the beginning that my outside budget was $450 for an upgrade, any upgrade. So when the whole cymbal debate happened, I realized that I could buy the original set I posted (with the low end cymbals) or, upgrade his cymbals, but not both at this time. I went back and forth debating which would benefit him more right now, upgraded hardware and drums (as you saw the SPL sets hardware is far from professional) or, keep current setup and upgrade cymbals (upgrading whatever I didn't somewhere down the road)

So, as some predicted, I waited too long and missed out on that set. But the story has a happy ending! Today I logged into my account and a forum member here has generously offered to send my son a very nice set of cymbals that he doesn't use anymore (free of charge!) I am not mentioning his name (unless he wants to himself) - but I will say I am overwhelmed by his generosity, so much so I had to walk outside and compose myself before I could start work again today. I was literally in tears when I called my wife to tell her!

So now, I am looking for a 5 piece set (no cymbals necessary) and I am pretty sure I can find something nice by his birthday which is the middle of this month.

Thanks again everyone - your help is much appreciated.

Wow I was wondering what happened-there are lots of philanthropic types on DW-do you have a similar forum for your instrument too? I'm glad you went to check out the cymbals-your ears don't lie. So you have the cymbal box checked. I'm sure others mentioned next a decent snare is critical as the toms and bass drums can sound great-even budget kits. I think the used drum strategy you have going will be fruitful-just be diligent and persistent. Also now on this thread you have other "eyes" looking for you. Good luck!!!!!!!

"It should, but never assume anything with CL. Don't know if it matters much but the kick looks pretty small - like an 18" diameter. Might want to ask the seller what sizes the drums are."

that bass drum is a 22, nice kit ...but it comes with power toms (12, 13).

Upon closer inspection, you're right. I guess it was just a bit of an illusion.

Like I said, never assume anything with CL... should have taken my own advice!

Will guitar center ship to your local store,,,????
I think they will,,
You should be able to get drum sets from anywhere in the states

Two comments:

1) Larry, you're really more than any of us deserve. Thank you for being so generous to so many of our drumming brothers and sisters.
1a) Since your last round of gifting, I have given away two of my vintage cymbals to new drummers myself. This kind of thing is infectious!

2) Thanks for the update from the original poster and I hope you find a killer kit for the kid!

Lots of used kit won’t come with a snare drum,,,that,s not a bad thing either,,
Add a Ludwig aluminum shell snare,,like a Acrolite,or a Standard ,,,both around 100-125$,,,
I just bought a chrome Standard snare for 105$
So what I am saying you would be able to fine a nice kit without snare for
around 350$,,add the 125$ for one of the best snare drums around,,
and u couldn’t do any better as a Dad,,,,

Ok, for those of you still hanging in there...

I went and looked at this exact set at a Dale's Drum Shop here in Harrisburg, shout out to Brian who helped me, super nice guy, patient and answered all my questions and more:

jjzhy8frkgack98aafas.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/6194413-sonor-4pc-player-shell-pack-black-galaxy-sparkle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79zaBRtbBO8 video demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MafUG4E2kR0&feature=youtu.be even BETTER demo with forum member Bobdadruma!!

Facts:
It's in like new shape (looks just like the one pictured above).
New Heads
What I really liked was the size and footprint. I realized that I wanted a 20" bass so was looking for 20x18. This set has:

Bass Drum: 20" x 12" (depth is even better for where it has to fit)
Floor Tom: 14" x 12"
Rack Tom: 10" x 8"
Snare Drum: 14" x 5" ( I have another Ludwig snare if this one isn't great)

I also like that comes with a boom arm attached so its very compact and will fit well in the space we have. Also, the previous owner, and I apologize that I am using the wrong terminology here, made a customization so that there is an arm coming out of the bass drum that acts as the stand for the crash. So this set is super compact, and it seems to be a nice set.

Pending price of course, this may be the one - it was just traded in so he's getting me the price on the shell pack plus a hi-hat stand, kick pedal and throne by tomorrow.

This set went for $450 new at Sam Ash when it came out, that was just for the drums.

So, whaddya think???????

EDIT:

Wow, this place answers my questions before I ask them:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134256

Uncle Larry/LarryAce has/had this kit as well as Bob?? That sells it for me!!!

Below is actual pic of mod on Bass drum where cymbal arm goes. Thoughts?

mbEZJyj.jpg

Last edited:
I had that exact same set. Great kit. I gave mine to my stepson. (I still have it, it's upstairs in his bedroom). That's is a fine option IMO. I like them a lot.

Last edited:
I agree with Larry that 20 in kick will be perfect-and they are great sounding kits. I have the smaller Safari kit-same finish and every time I took that little kit out to gig at smaller venues it always got lots of compliments. It's one of my favorite kits I have had to this day-small as it is.

Last edited:
542F147E-B7D6-4A2A-98F3-0ED6B3239A13.jpeg

Facebook marketplace add
Sonor all maple 3005
200.00dollars
This was in Dallas area,,thought was a good deal,,,yes??

Back