Get better Andy!

Just want to say that Andy is very strong and you are all great for being supportive.

Do something nice for someone today and expect nothing. Be a positive force on the world.

My left was never good, but it's taken a step back from barely mediocre to downright sloppy.

I just had private lessons with Claus Hessler yesterday, for the fourth time or so.
If you're interested in asking anything technical (or anything music, or life in
general :) ), and if you happen to think that could be a motivational thing to you,
I highly, highly recommend Claus if he should be near you anytime! He has unreal
technical abilities, he's a phenomenal drummer, a living encyclopedia and a great
human being!

Wow, I've never met Andy and only know him superficially through these message boards, but I read everything he writes and truly enjoy his insights and attitude. Plus, he's a fantastic drummer, as anyone who's seen his videos can attest.

Get well soon! You're one of the guys that make this place what it is.

Thank you all again for your support & routes to inspiration. Motivation & confidence are two things that haven't suffered. I'm even more determined to get stuff done, but also more focussed in my efforts in greater consciousness of my finite capacity.

First rehearsal back tonight, & I'm taking it easy. Left hand has improved a little more in recent days, but I'm also suffering mild overall stiffness on top of fatigue. Fatigue I get under the circumstances, but I'm monitoring the muscle stiffness thing because that's potentially a side affect of the statins I'm now consuming, & I'm not fully sold on the statin thing anyhow. Going into this, I had a cholesterol count of 4, & an average BP of 116/76.

For now, I'm doing exactly as my doctors tell me, but I'm predisposed to rebellion. Family are on standby expecting the usual Andy issues to emerge.

For now, I'm doing exactly as my doctors tell me, but I'm predisposed to rebellion. Family are on standby expecting the usual Andy issues to emerge.

My undoubtedly better half is currently recovering from major surgery and she too has this rebellious streak that forces her to do too much too soon...just take it easy and allow yourself to get better at your own pace my friend - no point taking giant steps forward to only take even bigger ones back.
Make sure your band mates do ALL the humping and bumping at rehearsals!!

Oh phew - I knew that if sheer bloody-mindedness had anything to do with it, you'd make a remarkable recovery. And when you think about it, practice-pad work is probably the least painful physiotherapy!

Not to steal a thread, but ...

Last weekend I went to mow my Up-North property (above the 45th Parallel) and I got bit by a bug on my ankle. My wife says it looks like a spider bite ("It has a hole in it.")

It really itches!!! But I'm not feeling any love here on DW. Why does it always have to be Miss Madgenta, or Uncle Larry, or Dr Watso, or GAgrippa, or KIS, or PollyAnna or 'you know who you are?' What about me?!?

Scratching. Smoke out.

;o)

Scratch it, and keep on scratching it until it disgorges all its 'orribleness :)

That's your perspective, but not ours, Andy.

The best part about places like this is that we can come to truly care about one another. This is part of how we try to show that you're important to us around here. You can't go around being a nice guy and doing nice things without people eventually noticing, and you're not personally exempt.

You'll take your adoration and you'll like it.

^^^ What he said.

allow yourself to get better at your own pace my friend -
That's the issue - my pace ;)

Band are super accommodating.

practice-pad work is probably the least painful physiotherapy!
No - it's painful alright = sounds like 5h17!!!

BTW, for those who missed it, this is the very first go around for me since the stroke. We all listened through to a new (to us) simple track to ease me in, then jammed it for the first time. I recorded these first steps for my own reference as much as anything else. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twH4WPk3Tdo

It will come back. Just take time to heal , adapt and overcome where needed. Your band is a great bunch of friends. I , and I am sure EVERYONE, are just glad you are still with us. Drums or no drums, this world needs Andy.

Too soon for jokes?

Cause if Andy had spent more time on Moeller, he would have had a double stroke!

Best wishes and lots of love.

Thank you all again for your support & routes to inspiration. Motivation & confidence are two things that haven't suffered. I'm even more determined to get stuff done, but also more focussed in my efforts in greater consciousness of my finite capacity.

First rehearsal back tonight, & I'm taking it easy. Left hand has improved a little more in recent days, but I'm also suffering mild overall stiffness on top of fatigue. Fatigue I get under the circumstances, but I'm monitoring the muscle stiffness thing because that's potentially a side affect of the statins I'm now consuming, & I'm not fully sold on the statin thing anyhow. Going into this, I had a cholesterol count of 4, & an average BP of 116/76.

Hope you feel better soon. Please take care

That's the issue - my pace ;)

Band are super accommodating.

No - it's painful alright = sounds like 5h17!!!

BTW, for those who missed it, this is the very first go around for me since the stroke. We all listened through to a new (to us) simple track to ease me in, then jammed it for the first time. I recorded these first steps for my own reference as much as anything else. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twH4WPk3Tdo

I would take this to your next Doctor visit.

Mortality well & truly tested Grunt :(

Update - my sticking is getting a bit better on the pad (first time I've done any pad work in years). Short sessions (10 min's max), but seems to be working slowly. My left was never good, but it's taken a step back from barely mediocre to downright sloppy.

Although gigs are cancelled, I have my first rehearsal this coming Tuesday. It will be a gentle introduction back, & the band are being super accommodating / supportive.

Awesome to see you’re doing much better Andy!

I think drumming would be an almost ideal therapy - starting gently of course.
There’s a physical side of drumming, it challenges the brain and diverts the attention from any negative thoughts there might be.

Warm regards

Jorn

Thank you again guys for your support - it helps hugely. I still have good & not so good days, but the overall direction is positive.

I'm now cleared to drive again, & that's another step back to a routine that helps me move forward.

As for my playing, I think that will be a slow process, but I'm 95%+ there already. I'm not going to consciously try to improve my left anymore, just enjoy making music & hope it decides to come along for the ride. Easy to get hung up on stuff.

I'm now cleared to drive again, & that's another step back to a routine that helps me move forward.

As for my playing, I think that will be a slow process, but I'm 95%+ there already.

Really glad to hear about these developments Andy.

...just enjoy making music & hope it decides to come along for the ride. Easy to get hung up on stuff.

This is good for me to read. Super easy for me to get hung up on "stuff" instead of just loitering (intentionally) in the enjoyment of it all.

Thats wonderful news Andy! F stressing over your left or your hi hat barks or swiss triplets or whatever and just enjoy life and enjoy playing and a big FU to that nasty thing thats behind you!!

I haven't been here for some time and missed this. Sorry Andy, sorry to hear about this as you are an excellent human being! That must have been a frightening time for you and fam.

Are you expected to get back all capabilities or will you have to permanently limit your (pretty outrageously industrious) activity? I guess with age that is always just a matter of when.

Good luck and stay healthy, you mad Pom!

Thank you all again for your kind thoughts guys - really appreciated.

I have had a bit of a setback over recent days, but I was warned this was a possibility, & all seems to be good. It's a journey.

Are you expected to get back all capabilities or will you have to permanently limit your (pretty outrageously industrious) activity? I guess with age that is always just a matter of when.

Good luck and stay healthy, you mad Pom!
Thanks Grea, & so good to hear from you :)

If all keeps on track, I should get back to full function. I'm 95% there now, & honestly, if it doesn't get better than this (but more stable), I'll count that as a great result under the circumstances.

Even though this event was completely non lifestyle related, I am in the process of making changes. My days of believing I'm bombproof ended a couple of decades ago, but my silly work ethic has encouraged me to push the boundaries, probably more often than I should.

Andy, I've been away for a while and am just now finding out all this. I hate that this happened to you but I'm so very relieved it wasn't worse than it could have been and that your on the mend. Thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.

Thank you all again for your kind thoughts guys - really appreciated.

I have had a bit of a setback over recent days, but I was warned this was a possibility, & all seems to be good. It's a journey.

Thanks Grea, & so good to hear from you :)

If all keeps on track, I should get back to full function. I'm 95% there now, & honestly, if it doesn't get better than this (but more stable), I'll count that as a great result under the circumstances.

Even though this event was completely non lifestyle related, I am in the process of making changes. My days of believing I'm bombproof ended a couple of decades ago, but my silly work ethic has encouraged me to push the boundaries, probably more often than I should.

Stoked that your recovery is going well, Andy! Shame that Guru is winding up but I guess the time has come for you to assume merely human workloads so your body has a chance to heal whatever it's dealing with behind the scenes.

Are you still going to play? As in just playing without the extra workload?

Back